SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

3 minutes ago, Irish said:

In my opinion the “good old boys club” isn’t a well organized group with regular meetings and minutes. In Bubba’s case it was a group of older former athletes who knew Bubba and supporters anchored by Bubba’s family.  They absolutely lobbied hard for Bubba’s hire.  I know that they talked to many people about supporting Bubba (which is their right) .  I can’t speak to how much sway they held with the AD but look at the results.  And a big selling point was that he is UND family and bleeds Sioux green.  

This is probably what happened.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UND08 said:

I'm sorry that your post is going to inspire my rant CM...but here it comes anyway...

Why does everyone think we have to be so dang "North Dakota Nice" on a stinking message board?!?!  Of course this is where everyone comes to complain and vent...that's how every message board in the COUNTRY works!!!  Fan is short for "fanatic" after all...and if recruits are turned off by a message board then they should just go to a school like Southern Utah or Idaho State where fan apathy is so strong that they don't have these kinds of sites...

Of course...if/when UND goes 4-8 next year, blows the whole thing up, and the rebuild fails...UND football might look awfully similar...

Most of us would just be happy to see a freaking VISION from the athletic dept. that shows WHAT the expectations are for the program, HOW we are going to meet said expectations...and then a follow through on holding people in leadership positions accountable if those expectations aren't met.  It's not unreasonable to expect greatness...hell its healthy!  We get a taste of success...a lot of teams build on it.  Some teams lose steam because those responsible for success move on to bigger pastures.  Meanwhile the events of the last 3.5 months at UND are so stereotypically UND under Bubba that I'm not even surprised anymore.  It's 2 steps forward 1 step back.  Bubba's had 10 years at UND.  That's an ETERNITY in his profession!  If you're not going to take the program any further then we need to do something else...because when it goes stale it's not a pretty site.  Meanwhile our athletic department let the two most talented coaches we have on staff walk for lateral jobs where they got paid more and have a better chance to succeed.  Again...reeks of stale air in the program.  Of course nobody is coming after our defensive coaches and offering them opportunities.  Makes sense...we are a defensive minded football team after all...

And why should I feel bad for hurting a recruit or players' feelings?!?  They're pseudo employees now after all.  We give them a chance and they ball out...chances are they'll just hit the portal anyway to get that bag!  This is now de facto professional sports.

So how dare you question my loyalty by saying that you pay your dues no matter what (and inferring that I don't)...my loyalty is the only reason I'm pissed off at the direction of the program!  And ya know...more and more every passing day I'm questioning why I even bother...that's dangerous ground for an FCS football program trying to compete with the others on I-29...because I know I'm not the only one that feels that way...and their fan bases are much more dialed in.  UND might be a top 20 ish team in the FCS...problem is they are consistently #4 on the list of those that actually matter in this area...out of 4!  Tough draw no doubt...but life's not fair!  Even when we house NDSU at home...this is what we follow it up with?!?!  Gross...

I expect this program to be great.  That's been the expectation for UND football for as long as I can remember.  If we are content with 7-5 every year and a first round exit please just let me know and I'll find something else to do in the fall.   Those of you who wear the "In Bubba we Trust" shirts walking around parking lots are getting to be more and more in the minority.  If the portal bleeds us dry and we go 5-7 or 4-8 next fall, it's going to be ugly.  Chaves and Bubba should get their walking papers together.

Hope everyone figures their crap out...but I'm not holding my breath...

AMEN x 1000%

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, UND08 said:

Of course nobody is coming after our defensive coaches and offering them opportunities.  Makes sense...we are a defensive minded football team after all...

I can confirm this is 100% not true. 

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Speaking of our AD clown show, I saw yesterday its' been over 40 days since they fired the strength coach.  Who is the new guy? 

I heard the only applicant was the assistant manager of Anytime Fitness in Crookston. 

2 hours ago, UND08 said:

I'm sorry that your post is going to inspire my rant CM...but here it comes anyway...

Why does everyone think we have to be so dang "North Dakota Nice" on a stinking message board?!?!  Of course this is where everyone comes to complain and vent...that's how every message board in the COUNTRY works!!!  Fan is short for "fanatic" after all...and if recruits are turned off by a message board then they should just go to a school like Southern Utah or Idaho State where fan apathy is so strong that they don't have these kinds of sites...of course they won't get NIL or any kind of great support...because those "fanatics" are the types that write those checks...because they CARE!

Of course...if/when UND goes 4-8 next year, blows the whole thing up, and the rebuild fails...UND football might look awfully similar...

Most of us would just be happy to see a freaking VISION from the athletic dept. that shows WHAT the expectations are for the program, HOW we are going to meet said expectations...and then a follow through on holding people in leadership positions accountable if those expectations aren't met.  Hell we are part of that as fans!  If you need an extra million a year to compete in recruiting come up with a plan and pitch it to us!  It's not unreasonable to expect greatness...hell its healthy!  We get a taste of success...a lot of teams build on it.  Some teams lose steam because those responsible for success move on to bigger pastures.  Meanwhile the events of the last 3.5 months at UND are so stereotypically UND under Bubba that I'm not even surprised anymore.  It's 2 steps forward 1 step back.  Bubba's had 10 years at UND.  That's an ETERNITY in his profession!  If you're not going to take the program any further then we need to do something else...because when it goes stale it's not a pretty site.  Meanwhile our athletic department let the two most talented coaches we have on staff walk for lateral jobs where they got paid more and have a better chance to succeed.  Again...reeks of stale air in the program.  Of course nobody is coming after our defensive coaches and offering them opportunities.  Makes sense...we are a defensive minded football team after all...

And why should I feel bad for hurting a recruit or players' feelings?!?  They're pseudo employees now after all.  We give them a chance and they ball out...chances are they'll just hit the portal anyway to get that bag!  This is now de facto professional sports.

So how dare you question my loyalty by saying that you pay your dues no matter what (and inferring that I don't)...my loyalty is the only reason I'm pissed off at the direction of the program!  And ya know...more and more every passing day I'm questioning why I even bother...that's dangerous ground for an FCS football program trying to compete with the others on I-29...because I know I'm not the only one that feels that way...and their fan bases are much more dialed in.  UND might be a top 20 ish team in the FCS...problem is they are consistently #4 on the list of those that actually matter in this area...out of 4!  Tough draw no doubt...but life's not fair!  Even when we house NDSU at home...this is what we follow it up with?!?!  Gross...

I expect this program to be great.  That's been the expectation for UND football for as long as I can remember.  If we are content with 7-5 every year and a first round exit please just let me know and I'll find something else to do in the fall.   Those of you who wear the "In Bubba we Trust" shirts walking around parking lots are getting to be more and more in the minority.  If the portal bleeds us dry and we go 5-7 or 4-8 next fall, it's going to be ugly.  Chaves and Bubba should get their walking papers together.

One more thing I'll add...we as fans/supporters/boosters play a big part in this too!  Show me the plan...show me what you need to execute it...and I better be willing to pony up to make sure it happens!  If not...then my apathy is saying that I'm ok with the status quo...and I have no right to complain!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND08 said:

Why does everyone think we have to be so dang "North Dakota Nice" on a stinking message board?!?!  Of course this is where everyone comes to complain and vent...that's how every message board in the COUNTRY works!!!  Fan is short for "fanatic" after all...and if recruits are turned off by a message board then they should just go to a school like Southern Utah or Idaho State where fan apathy is so strong that they don't have these kinds of sites...of course they won't get NIL or any kind of great support...because those "fanatics" are the types that write those checks...because they CARE!

Most of us would just be happy to see a freaking VISION from the athletic dept. that shows WHAT the expectations are for the program, HOW we are going to meet said expectations...and then a follow through on holding people in leadership positions accountable if those expectations aren't met.  Hell, we are part of that as fans!  If you need an extra million a year to compete in recruiting come up with a plan and pitch it to us!  It's not unreasonable to expect greatness...hell its healthy!  We get a taste of success...a lot of teams build on it.  Some teams lose steam because those responsible for success move on to bigger pastures.  Meanwhile the events of the last 3.5 months at UND are so stereotypically UND under Bubba that I'm not even surprised anymore.  It's 2 steps forward 1 step back.  Bubba's had 10 years at UND.  That's an ETERNITY in his profession!  If you're not going to take the program any further, then we need to do something else...because when it goes stale it's not a pretty site.  Meanwhile our athletic department let the two most talented coaches we have on staff walk for lateral jobs where they got paid more and have a better chance to succeed.  Again...reeks of stale air in the program.  Of course, nobody is coming after our defensive coaches and offering them opportunities.  Makes sense...we are a defensive minded football team after all...

So how dare you question my loyalty by saying that you pay your dues no matter what (and inferring that I don't) ...my loyalty is the only reason I'm pissed off at the direction of the program!  And ya know...more and more every passing day I'm questioning why I even bother...that's dangerous ground for an FCS football program trying to compete with the others on I-29...because I know I'm not the only one that feels that way...and their fan bases are much more dialed in.  UND might be a top 20 ish team in the FCS...problem is they are consistently #4 on the list of those that actually matter in this area...out of 4!  Tough draw no doubt...but life's not fair!  Even when we house NDSU at home...this is what we follow it up with?!?!  Gross...

I expect this program to be great.  That's been the expectation for UND football for as long as I can remember.  If we are content with 7-5 every year and a first round exit, please just let me know and I'll find something else to do in the fall.   Those of you who wear the "In Bubba we Trust" shirts walking around parking lots are getting to be more and more in the minority.  If the portal bleeds us dry and we go 5-7 or 4-8 next fall, it's going to be ugly.  Chaves and Bubba should get their walking papers together.

You just hit a lot of the points I have been thinking about. I think most of us want the program to succeed, but it's not right now. It's floundering in mediocrity. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Speaking of our AD clown show, I saw yesterday its' been over 40 days since they fired the strength coach.  Who is the new guy? 

I have $20.00 that says he has a shaved head, is a little skinnier than Baukol, mostly red beard, and his resume is not impressive.

21 minutes ago, Brim006 said:

I heard the only applicant was the assistant manager of Anytime Fitness in Crookston. 

What is the wage scale for the strength coach, doubt it is very high

3 hours ago, UND08 said:

Most of us would just be happy to see a freaking VISION from the athletic dept. that shows WHAT the expectations are for the program, HOW we are going to meet said expectations...and then a follow through on holding people in leadership positions accountable if those expectations aren't met.  Hell we are part of that as fans!  If you need an extra million a year to compete in recruiting come up with a plan and pitch it to us!  It's not unreasonable to expect greatness...hell its healthy!  We get a taste of success...a lot of teams build on it.  Some teams lose steam because those responsible for success move on to bigger pastures.  Meanwhile the events of the last 3.5 months at UND are so stereotypically UND under Bubba that I'm not even surprised anymore.  It's 2 steps forward 1 step back.  Bubba's had 10 years at UND.  That's an ETERNITY in his profession!  If you're not going to take the program any further then we need to do something else...because when it goes stale it's not a pretty sight.  Meanwhile our athletic department let the two most talented coaches we have on staff walk for lateral jobs where they got paid more and have a better chance to succeed.  Again...reeks of stale air in the program.  Of course nobody is coming after our defensive coaches and offering them opportunities.  Makes sense...we are a defensive minded football team after all...

So how dare you question my loyalty by saying that you pay your dues no matter what (and inferring that I don't)...my loyalty is the only reason I'm pissed off at the direction of the program!  And ya know...more and more every passing day I'm questioning why I even bother...that's dangerous ground for an FCS football program trying to compete with the others on I-29...because I know I'm not the only one that feels that way...and their fan bases are much more dialed in.  UND might be a top 20 ish team in the FCS...problem is they are consistently #4 on the list of those that actually matter in this area...out of 4!  Tough draw no doubt...but life's not fair!  Even when we house NDSU at home...this is what we follow it up with (while SDSU wins a title and NDSU makes a deep playoff run, hires a new staff, poaches our OC, starts a collective that keeps attractive transfer candidates at home)?!?!  Gross...

We are both allowed our opinions. I stand by mine.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UND08 said:

One more thing I'll add...we as fans/supporters/boosters play a big part in this too!  Show me the plan...show me what you need to execute it...and I better be willing to pony up to make sure it happens!  If not...then my apathy is saying that I'm ok with the status quo...and I have no right to complain!

Honest question: What exactly does this look like? Only curious because I've never seen anything similar for the hockey program. I can't recall seeing anything like that from either of the XDSU's (unless it is related to facilities, which I know UND has done as well).

I've listened to the AD and multiple head coaches speak plenty of times. Plenty of different settings whether it be Alumni events, booster luncheons, University sponsored gatherings. In various ways, I've heard them lay out what their expectations are and what they feel they need to do to accomplish it. Depending on the setting, sometimes they are pushing to raise more money as some of that vision requires more money.

What are you actually looking for when you say "show me the plan"? 
I honestly don't know what it is exactly you say you're looking for and how you want/expect it to be delivered and I'm curious how it relates to things that maybe are already happening, just not being put out there in the way you expect it to be.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Irish said:

And a big selling point was that he is UND family and bleeds Sioux green.

This is understandable, and in numerous collegiate coaching hiring situations across the country, tradition and loyalty is often considered; but … 

… there certainly now needs to be consideration to sway away from this with the next hire. For what it’s worth, the most recent offensive coordinator hire (Fruechte) has no prior UND ties, but it is far too early to know if that will be beneficial in the long run.

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Honest question: What exactly does this look like? Only curious because I've never seen anything similar for the hockey program. I can't recall seeing anything like that from either of the XDSU's (unless it is related to facilities, which I know UND has done as well).

It’s money. XDSU’s have invested more $, which includes facilities, staff (coaching) salaries, and beyond the departments, it now also includes NIL funds. UND is improving facilities, but coaching salaries and NIL are the next two major areas UND football needs to improve. To take it one step further, *how* UND utilizes the addition to the Pollard Center and Memorial Village is crucial. *How* will UND be featuring football with the new facility. The Ralph does a fantastic job with hockey (in terms of the aesthetics). NDSU and SDSU do a very good job aesthetically with their football facilities, namely coaching offices, cafeteria, meeting rooms, trophy cases, etc.  These things matter to recruits these days, but just not as much as actual $ upfront. Still, facilities show commitment as well as the history and tradition. If UND does the new facility right, it should take new football recruits no more than 30 seconds to realize upon entering that UND has the better head-to-head record vs NDSU, has won both Big Sky and MVFC conference titles, won the DII national championship in 2001, and has numerous athletes in the pros (NFL and CFL) over the past 20 years. If you’re not featuring those things up front, then you’re not doing it right.

As for coaching salaries, although salaries need to improve, I would not advocate paying Bubba and his staff more until they prove they can produce more. So, with that, we enter a huge 2024 season of “prove it to us”. I think we can both agree, 2024 is a huge year in terms of determining the next steps. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'll take the Northwood excuse, but going all the way to Aneta just to come back to Sharon? Why not drop to Hatton then over to Finley. Nice little pub at Golden Lake in the summers. ;) 

I also should say that being the good person i am.....or was, I would sometimes stop and vist my Grand Parents and then meet my Uncle and Cousin at the Brass Rail for one.