SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

3 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Not sure blaming the biggest donor in the school's history is the answer when there are so many football alumni out there that could be called on to form a new group to support football only

I was answering a question.  SHE is not the biggest donor in the school's history.  However, it seems that she want's UND to be beholden to her, even if that takes getting the president fired.  Why else refuse to improve the usage agreement?

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I was answering a question.  SHE is not the biggest donor in the school's history.  However, it seems that she want's UND to be beholden to her, even if that takes getting the president fired.  Why else refuse to improve the usage agreement?

Guessing there are two sides to every story. I am just really doubting KEM is hurting the entire athletic department more than she's helping it. 

8 minutes ago, RhettRingers said:

I heard from multiple people who happened to listen to it that he sounded desperate. I think he knows what to come April 16th.

I’ve never heard bubba like that. Let’s just put it that away

he seemed surprised. In shock. In awe. 

Chaves since being here the athletic program is mirroring or very similar Eastern Washington where athletic program can’t support it sports and there has been proposals there shutting down its football program. Und may be heading for similar fate even though we put all resources into all infrastructure in the football program. They just forgot people running the program and now we’re faced with loss of people. Don’t forget last year we lost one of our coaches to Fargo because of pay. Danny move may be right for him looking at it because he going to get paid more to support his family, he still remains in Dakotas to raise his family, he’s at elite FCS school so if he wants to move on it will be much easier to get good position at FBS program. The problem here at UND until powers to be don’t want to come realization that when one program so dominates the funding of athletics like hockey has become there is know way any other sport is going to achieve success what people want on this forum. Bubba has moved football forward here at UND from when he took over by getting donors and powers to be to invest infrastructure but now things have changed where you need money to bring quality coaching plus money to attract top players and it isn’t here program is sliding backwards. This is true for other sports like basketball and volleyball. I wouldn’t be surprised at some point in the future the proposal will be to cut football to try to save other programs without touching hockey. Think about it last 20 years when hockey went big time how how we have ate up athletic program  to balance the budget. We have lost baseball, swimming men’s and women’s, women’s hockey, and go farther back wrestling, and then quality of other programs have fallen from being elite to bottom of the conference teams. So Danny just did what was best for himself and Bubba has fought battle received criticism of not moving program forward and by some here not dynamic enough to do this and you wonder why he is disgusted. He knows this is last chance he is getting to try national champion but he can see this slipping away because he not Superman and support is not here and I beginning to believe it may be gone. I wonder if we’re not going to head like western Illinois  just having difficult time putting respectable team on the field. I have been optimistic before but seeing actual funding for football and need for additional money for NIL I am beginning to wonder if we’re in no win game because we don’t have enough big time supporters for our athletic department.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Someday you will learn all that Kris does for UND athletics and UND athletes!

I am not an insider, but I don't get the distain here at all for Kris, Hockey or/and the Ralph.  If anything, football leadership starting with RT and Lennon need to own much of the current state of the program.  They did it to themselves.  Hockey did not stop the transition, Hockey didn't tell RT to quit at critical point when starting the move,  Hockey tell Dale to leave,  Hockey didn't hire Bubba..  The football guys have been fumbling for several years now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

It could.  I am basing my assessment on the last 10 years body of work, this seasons schedule and the fact the offense will likely be less productive this season.  There is always a chance it is better, but that chance is remote IMO.  D could be better, but we will still have the head scratching in game calls, time management and a game or two where Bubba's pregame speech seems to demotivate.  The trend line for this program has been down since the 2021 loss to NDSU at home.  Yes we eat NDSU last season, but that looks now more of an aberration than anything else.

I was posting in jest.  We all have seen how Bubba ball has gone. :lol:

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

You're probably right.  But that doesn't mean she shouldn't be called out when merited.  Look at the basketball court design drama...   she's a great friend to have as long as UND does exactly what she wants.

It’s hilarious they sell this at the Sioux Shop

IMG_1922.jpeg

1 minute ago, forksandspoons said:

Bubba's salary is $255K is 2024 and $265K in 2025. Maybe he could have barely made it by on $200K a year and spread out that extra $55K and $65K a bit.. 

I was thinking this too

we are gunna have $265k in dead money as no coach goes in to final year of contract without extension or they plans to be fired

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, USTBench said:

I don't see the gulf between SDSU and UND being as wide as it is between Minnesota and Ohio State/Michigan. UND seems to be stifled by the antiquated thinking of the old guard and a reluctance to court the Gen Xers/Millennials as alums/potential donors/coaches/fans, etc. I believe I even read a few pages back someone intimate UND should have never left DII. WHAT??? 

UND has the facilities, the donors, and as I drive down Columbia, I can't think of too many mid-majors that have anything broaching what UND will have for football. There's a little brother/loser mentality here that Grand Forks and UND needs to shake, but believe me, you've got a sleeping giant at the FCS level. One guy in the big chair can make that happen inside of 2 years. 

you nailed it! With the right person as the helm, and all the new facilities (classrooms included), UND can be on top of the Dakotas. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, FSSD said:

I am not an insider, but I don't get the distain here at all for Kris, Hockey or/and the Ralph.  If anything, football leadership starting with RT and Lennon need to own much of the current state of the program.  They did it to themselves.  Hockey did not stop the transition, Hockey didn't tell RT to quit at critical point when starting the move,  Hockey tell Dale to leave,  Hockey didn't hire Bubba..  The football guys have been fumbling for several years now.

I don't have any disdain for hockey or the REA, and I mostly agree with you.  And Bubba never should have be extended when he was (I think his initial hire was fine but Danny should have been promoted when Bubbas last contract expired). However, it's concerning that Kennedy wasn't able to get her to budge at all when it came to the split in ticket revenue.  The REA has something like 15 million in cash (I get that they need a few million for general operations, etc), and there isn't any transparency in what they plan to do with it.  In addition to that, the usage agreement changed from it spelling out exactly how net income would be distributed, to saying that a portion of net income will be distributed to UND as determined by the UAS board of directors, and it doesn't say how that determination will be made.  So if they are keeping millions in cash on hand, I think it would be reasonable to expect them to be more transparent as to their reasoning and plans.  UND has had an addition to the Betty on it's master plan for years - is the REA on board with that?  Who the hell knows!  Going to the press with the goal of ousting the president has caused me to question a certain person's motives, and THAT isn't UND's fault.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, nodak651 said:

I don't have any disdain for hockey or the REA, and I mostly agree with you.  And Bubba never should have be extended when he was (I think his initial hire was fine but Danny should have been promoted when Bubbas last contract expired). However, it's concerning that Kennedy wasn't able to get her to budge at all when it came to the split in ticket revenue.  The REA has something like 15 million in cash, and there isn't any transparency in what they plan to do with it.  In addition to that, the usage agreement changed from it spelling out exactly how net income would be distributed, to saying that a portion of net income will be distributed to UND as determined by the UAS board of directors, and it doesn't say how that determination will be made.  So if they are keeping millions in cash on hand, I think it would be more transparent as to their reasoning and plans.  UND has had an addition to the Betty on it's master plan for years - is the REA on board with that?  Who the hell knows!

Sorry, but that's none of our business (sarcasm). :silly:

16 minutes ago, USTBench said:

I don't see the gulf between SDSU and UND being as wide as it is between Minnesota and Ohio State/Michigan. UND seems to be stifled by the antiquated thinking of the old guard and a reluctance to court the Gen Xers/Millennials as alums/potential donors/coaches/fans, etc. I believe I even read a few pages back someone intimate UND should have never left DII. WHAT??? 

UND has the facilities, the donors, and as I drive down Columbia, I can't think of too many mid-majors that have anything broaching what UND will have for football. There's a little brother/loser mentality here that Grand Forks and UND needs to shake, but believe me, you've got a sleeping giant at the FCS level. One guy in the big chair can make that happen inside of 2 years. 

Perhaps not quite that wide, but I don't think it's too far off.  SDSU has 2 titles and several other top 10 years in the last 10-12 years (a few years I think you could make a legit argument they were the second best team in the country to NDSU).  We basically have not won a playoff game since going D1.  Not saying we shouldn't be doing better, I just can't blame Danny for making the move and even though it caught me very off guard, it probably shouldn't have.

It will be very interesting when UND gets control of the REA in 6 years.  I'm guessing a lot the the money will be funneled over to other programs within the university and there will be a lot of Hockey Only fans upset the the Arena is not being maintained at the same rate as before.

Is it still true that the REA gets 40% of Football ticket sales?  Is this documented anywhere or just speculation.

5 minutes ago, Big Green said:

It will be very interesting when UND gets control of the REA in 6 years.  I'm guessing a lot the the money will be funneled over to other programs within the university and there will be a lot of Hockey Only fans upset the the Arena is not being maintained at the same rate as before.

Is it still true that the REA gets 40% of Football ticket sales?  Is this documented anywhere or just speculation.

It's 52%.  Documented.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I highly doubt this will take place 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Devils said:

I am surprised with Danny being at UND basically his whole adult life, but I can't blame him.  This is similar to someone on the Gophers staff jumping to Ohio State or Michigan, which is fairly common.  It's just a better situation (unfortunately) and a better path to move up which at his age is his clock was ticking.  Honestly a little surprised that SDSU didn't go for a little higher profile hire being we've won basically no playoff games under him, but I guess if this was just for a QB coach job it makes sense.

The problem here is that we are the Gophers in your analogy. No one wants to be like the gopher fb program. That’s the issue. 

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

Chaves since being here the athletic program is mirroring or very similar Eastern Washington where athletic program can’t support it sports and there has been proposals there shutting down its football program. 

I quit reading after this sentence.
UND has administration that is going out of its way to support athletics. Such as the new facilities, Public/Private Partnerships for Memorial Village, FCOA, Alston Awards among others.
EWU has administration that was actively campaigning against their athletic department. They are a directional commuter school that has an endowment that is literally less than 1/10 of UND's.
It is impressive they have had the spurts of success they have on the field and should be commended on it. But their trajectory, on and off the field, is a huge cause for concern.

1 hour ago, forksandspoons said:

Bubba's salary is $255K is 2024 and $265K in 2025. Maybe he could have barely made it by on $200K a year and spread out that extra $55K and $65K a bit.. 

Since his first contract, he has taken a lower salary to direct more funds to the assistant's pay pool. And part of his extension was to increase it even more.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Didn't UND revive its men's golf program thru private funds? How many UND FB alumni are there compared to golf alumni? FB donations from alumni to help propel program forward should be low hanging fruit.

Did they? 

"The plan also calls for an endowment that will be required to sustain men's golf for FY 19 and beyond. The University and the UND Alumni Association & Foundation will establish the long-term funding dollar amount for the endowment, which will need to be fully capitalized by June 1, 2018 for men's golf to continue."  https://fightinghawks.com/news/2016/8/31/211157610.aspx

https://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2018/06/ray-richards-legacy-endures/
Without getting too technical, Chaves said the hope is that the sale of UND land will spur enough revenue to endow men’s golf so that it can cover its annual operational expenses. Revenue above what men’s golf needs could then be used to continue jumpstarting fundraising efforts for HPC 2.

Men’s golf would require a base endowment of about $4.1 million to cover its annual $125-150,000 operational costs, Chaves said.

“This is all about spinning out 4 percent every year on that roughly $4 million to cover the operational aspect of running the men’s golf program,” he said. “That’s the concept.”

Using simple arithmetic, if UND fetches $8 million from its lands sales and uses a little more than half of it to endow men’s golf, theory is the remaining could be used in fundraising for HPC 2. The UND golf programs also could see benefits from features, yet unspecified, planned for HPC 2.

https://news.prairiepublic.org/education/2018-10-16/und-golf-course-sale-golf-endowment-fund-discussed-at-board-of-higher-education-committee-meeting Dated Oct 16th, 2018