SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 National Championship Game: Quinnipiac vs. Minnesota

Kevin G

9 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I paused the game at the second intermission to do stories and put my 3 year old daughter to bed. So we’re reading stories and she goes out to the living room to get something and comes back and says, “I paused your game for you, daddy.” I thought nothing of that comment…B1G mistake! (pun intended) 

My wife and I come back out to the living room, and I suspected something happened so I quickly turned the channel so as not to see any spoilers. I then turn on the recording and we pick up where we left off.

Fast forward to the end of regulation and the end of my recording so I turn the channel back over to ESPN2 and BOOM! -I see Quinnipiac celebrating. I totally missed the overtime! 

Full disclosure, I am in no way mad at my kid. In fact, when I saw Q celebrating I laughed out loud and said to my wife, “Well, we don’t have to worry about Minnesota winning in overtime!” 

So can someone here tell me how Q scored because I still don’t know! 

Congrats to the Bobcats. I respected the hell out of them and how hard they played, particularly that third period. Great game. 

It was basically the first goal Michigan scored on them minus walking the D-man.

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

For sure.  Their recruiting class in 2 years is ridiculous, with Eiserman.
That said, they won't have a defensive group similar to what they had this year for many, many years.

Rarely does any team have a D group like that.

Looking at their roster/recruiting they will still certainly be a problem.

They should lose Faber, Lacombe, and Johnson but I'd think they'll still have plenty of talent back there Koster, Chesley, Mittelstadt, and Thomas who was highly recruited could be back. Rinzel who I think was a first rounder last summer will come in as well. Also had Staudacher redshirt this year so he will provide a veteran presence.

Forward group will still have a ton of talent.

If I were them I'd try to add Haider and solidify the goaltending.  

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I couldn't figure out how the Q LW got so open. 

The MN RD 4 stepped up and let the pass get past him forcing 2 to come across and chase the Q center. The MN center 24 realized too late the defensive responsibility change for him and ... game. 

4 letting that pass past him was the beginning of the end. 

Almost like the goal SCSU scored on us. Almost.

15 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Wouldn’t necessarily say that. UND was able to rebuild from its 2011 non-championship team and get it done 5 years later. I would expect Minnesota to be able to do the same. 

They will have great teams for sure.  Not sure they will have one like this one though.  

Thought the gophers were fine, but I don't know if they expected Q to quit, but they just got manhandled after their second goal.  Had one chance to score in the third and spent the rest of the period relying on great sticks defensively or they lose 5-2....

QU did a fantastic job on MN's top line. 
Whenever Cooley or Knies had the puck, they were swarmed and smothered by the QU defense.

There were a lot of parallels between this game and the 2016 title game.
QU came in highly touted in both, and the opposing teams both had very skilled top lines and a very experienced d-corps.
Both times QU had a 2-1 deficit after 2 periods.

The main difference was that UND's top line dominated the 3rd in 2016 and UND pulled away.  This year, QU bottled up the MN top line and finally tied it.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Thought the gophers were fine, but I don't know if they expected Q to quit, but they just got manhandled after their second goal.  Had one chance to score in the third and spent the rest of the period relying on great sticks defensively or they lose 5-2....

It looked like Q was on a powerplay 3/4 of that third period. Gophers just had 5 guys in the slot it seemed to try and prevent a goal. That crap never works and Motzko paid for it 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Goon said:

Should be a mass exodus on the Gopher team. 

You never know, but it will be interesting to see if guys like Brodzinski and Nelson are asked to come back, especially if they lose both Nies and Cooley.  If Arizona gets Bedard, does Cooley leave to play with him?  Arizona needs to start selling something to their fan base, but if they are still in Mullett Arena, are they fine with Cooley having another go in college?  

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If anybody has Wally Shaver's OT call.....what I wouldn't give....

And the game tying goal too. :lol:

Oh...yes please.  That'd be like the opposite of that Holy Cross student announcing team calling the HC/MN OT winner.

Minnesota set a record for the fewest shots on goal in the NCAA Division I men’s ice hockey championship game with just 15. The previous record was set by Denver in its 1963 loss to North Dakota.

15 sog with all that offensive talent.  Pretty crazy.