SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

20 hours ago, Green Banner said:

This blizzard could be detrimental to UND picking up portal players. 

I hear you but there is a little thing called Zoom.
Would a campus visit be great, yes of course, but sometimes that can't always happen.

4 minutes ago, jk said:

I have thought of that team when looking ahead to the upcoming year, in this unfortunate way.  That team probably had the best top 6 UND has seen since the early 80s, but the young defense was not ready and as a result they fell short of a title.  This year should have a very good forward group, but will history repeat itself on the back end?

Not that this year's forwards will compare to 2005-06.  Zajac, Oshie, Spirko and Stafford, Toews, Duncan.  Ridiculous, even if young. 

The only Toews-type college players I recall watching play were Thomas Vanek and Dany Heatley.   And neither of them played D like he did.   

49 minutes ago, Stack said:

Well let's see in 2005 North Dakota brought in 13 freshmen.  They were:

Joe Finley (D)

Taylor Chorney (D)

Todd Alexander (D)

Zach Jones (D)

TK Oshie (F)

Ryan Martens (F)

Jonathon Toews (F)

Andrew Kozek (F)

Brad Miller (F and then played D later)

Ryan Duncan (F)

Matt Watkins (F)

Brain Lee (D)

Aaron Walski (G)

That team had 6 sophomores, 6 juniors, and 2 seniors. They went to 4 Frozen Fours in a row even though a number of players turned pro early. Not sure if this is even possible now with the transfer portal but we can hope?

It ain’t 2005 :) 

1 hour ago, crb1 said:

I hear you but there is a little thing called Zoom.
Would a campus visit be great, yes of course, but sometimes that can't always happen.

sounds weird, but young adults seem to be open to this. In the last few years, I've hired people in their twenty's that didn't set foot in the office until their first day of work.

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

< checks watch > 

No Albrecht news?
No news on a Caulfield replacement?
And don't we still need two defensemen?
Are we 100% that Hedquist is coming in as well as Persson? 

< checks watch > 

I'm with you the longer we hear crickets the more worried I'm getting and potentially with the Strathman rumors we might need 3 more. 

2 hours ago, burd said:

The only Toews-type college players I recall watching play were Thomas Vanek and Dany Heatley.   And neither of them played D like he did.   

Yeah, Vanek was a pretty fast skater...as long as he had the puck.;)

1 hour ago, I Ranger said:

I'm with you the longer we hear crickets the more worried I'm getting and potentially with the Strathman rumors we might need 3 more. 

What Strathmann rumors?   I think Schlossman was talking juniors as in USHL, not OHL. 

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

What Strathmann rumors?   I think Schlossman was talking juniors as in USHL, not OHL. 

It was discussed in the Committed Recruits thread yesterday. Schlossman hinted at this development with Strathmann weeks ago also but I think everyone missed it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tnt said:

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

It was discussed in the Committed Recruits thread yesterday. Schlossman hinted at this development with Strathmann weeks ago also but I think everyone missed it. 

Going back to the USHL, not bolting to the OHL. Definitely still possible he could come in this season, but he's not against staying another year in the USHL.

I've been told consistently that he absolutely has all the offensive tools, but does not yet know how to defend. Had one buddy refer to him as BJ 2.0. Would be good for all parties to see him take one more year of development, methinks. But, not the worst things to bring him in and get him ice time, of course.

12 hours ago, Stack said:

Well let's see in 2005 North Dakota brought in 13 freshmen.  They were:

Joe Finley (D)

Taylor Chorney (D)

Todd Alexander (D)

Zach Jones (D)

TK Oshie (F)

Ryan Martens (F)

Jonathon Toews (F)

Andrew Kozek (F)

Brad Miller (F and then played D later)

Ryan Duncan (F)

Matt Watkins (F)

Brain Lee (D)

Aaron Walski (G)

That team had 6 sophomores, 6 juniors, and 2 seniors. They went to 4 Frozen Fours in a row even though a number of players turned pro early. Not sure if this is even possible now with the transfer portal but we can hope?

who the F is Todd Alexander?

18 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

< checks watch > 

No Albrecht news?
No news on a Caulfield replacement?
And don't we still need two defensemen?
Are we 100% that Hedquist is coming in as well as Persson? 

< checks watch > 

I'm not pushing the panic button yet. All important questions. I'm break them down by position.

• Forward: It'll be a talented group next year. That won't change regardless of the Albrecht news or Caulfield's replacement. Now, I'll say this, Caulfield signing and if that's parlayed into Albrecht staying, that is a relatively major blow to the talent level. Again, it'll still be a talented group, but if we were to grade the group on paper, it can go anywhere from a A to a B. 
  • Goalie: I hope Hedquist is coming in, he's put in his time in Juniors, good stats. I think we can assume he's in.

• Defense: This is where I'm getting close to pushing the panic button. We're confident with 5 guys (one of which is assumed "8th guy"). Pyke was a monster add no doubt. I do not like that Strathmann might go back to Juniors. Sounds like everyone is on the same page, so I don't get a decommitment feel, but still. Numbers wise this could work out great, BUT, now they need 3 more from the Portal. Good news, there's definitely 3 high enders. Bad news, what are the chances they get them? 

Just a lot of uncertainty. Things can absolutely turn out incredible. There's also a chance that this goes sideways. 

16 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'm not pushing the panic button yet. All important questions. I'm break them down by position.

• Forward: It'll be a talented group next year. That won't change regardless of the Albrecht news or Caulfield's replacement. Now, I'll say this, Caulfield signing and if that's parlayed into Albrecht staying, that is a relatively major blow to the talent level. Again, it'll still be a talented group, but if we were to grade the group on paper, it can go anywhere from a A to a B. 
  • Goalie: I hope Hedquist is coming in, he's put in his time in Juniors, good stats. I think we can assume he's in.

• Defense: This is where I'm getting close to pushing the panic button. We're confident with 5 guys (one of which is assumed "8th guy"). Pyke was a monster add no doubt. I do not like that Strathmann might go back to Juniors. Sounds like everyone is on the same page, so I don't get a decommitment feel, but still. Numbers wise this could work out great, BUT, now they need 3 more from the Portal. Good news, there's definitely 3 high enders. Bad news, what are the chances they get them? 

Just a lot of uncertainty. Things can absolutely turn out incredible. There's also a chance that this goes sideways. 

Yeah, even if Strathmann is on the same page now, you never know who (Major Juniors or other college teams) will be bending his ear next year in Juniors, especially if we struggled again next year.  I.E., does another school look more attractive with a better chance at a Championship. 

• Upvote 2