SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

UND-SPORTS-FAN

1 hour ago, UND08 said:

What about the fact that Omot and Eaglestaff are still here?!?  Maybe you're right (I doubt it) that Eaglestaff only committed to UND because of his legacy...but a coach he doesn't want to play for would have chased him out awfully quick.  Recruiting isn't only about who you bring in each year...it's about who you KEEP here.  That's where we are nowadays in the world of college basketball...

Since a 6 win season in 2021-22, we've improved to 13 wins, and now 17 and counting, with a core of the team being made up of sophomores and juniors (not sure what's left for COVID years).  If you look at Sather's career trajectory this isn't unfamiliar territory for him.  His approach seems to require patience...which I'll admit I wasn't sure we'd have being a D1 program.  That said...he's won everywhere he's been...and the arc is looking good for the program.  Hope we have a big finish to the season and are talking extensions at the end of the year (because we don't want to lose him).

Like his recruitment was so great before and player retention was awesome... Do you only follow hockey?   I am saying by Treyson having his legacy and coming here he attracted better players that wanted to play with him.   I am not saying Sather is such a bad guy that players want to jump ship.  I am saying he was lucky to get Treyson and things fell into place.  Up until then he didnt show he knew how to recruit division one players and many players left the program.  I have still not seen that we are running plays.  Looks more like we have athletes that know how play and are good at one on one.  I really like the team we have now and next year I think it will be even better.  But if you give all credit now after 4 bad years to Sather I am not sold yet.  

1 hour ago, UND08 said:

What about the fact that Omot and Eaglestaff are still here?!?  Maybe you're right (I doubt it) that Eaglestaff only committed to UND because of his legacy...but a coach he doesn't want to play for would have chased him out awfully quick.  Recruiting isn't only about who you bring in each year...it's about who you KEEP here.  That's where we are nowadays in the world of college basketball...

Since a 6 win season in 2021-22, we've improved to 13 wins, and now 17 and counting, with a core of the team being made up of sophomores and juniors (not sure what's left for COVID years).  If you look at Sather's career trajectory this isn't unfamiliar territory for him.  His approach seems to require patience...which I'll admit I wasn't sure we'd have being a D1 program.  That said...he's won everywhere he's been...and the arc is looking good for the program.  Hope we have a big finish to the season and are talking extensions at the end of the year (because we don't want to lose him).

And Eaglestaff isnt leaving he said he is chasing his uncles record and Omot...  I would be surprised if he is still here next.  I hope he is because next year would be fun!   

21 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

And Eaglestaff isnt leaving he said he is chasing his uncles record and Omot...  I would be surprised if he is still here next.  I hope he is because next year would be fun!   

It would be nice if Chaves would allow us to get the NL going so we can get Omot a Corvette

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

Like his recruitment was so great before and player retention was awesome... Do you only follow hockey?   I am saying by Treyson having his legacy and coming here he attracted better players that wanted to play with him.   I am not saying Sather is such a bad guy that players want to jump ship.  I am saying he was lucky to get Treyson and things fell into place.  Up until then he didnt show he knew how to recruit division one players and many players left the program.  I have still not seen that we are running plays.  Looks more like we have athletes that know how play and are good at one on one.  I really like the team we have now and next year I think it will be even better.  But if you give all credit now after 4 bad years to Sather I am not sold yet.  

How was he lucky to get Eaglestaff?  What other others were there for him

• Upvote 1

It does when it comes out of Treyson's mouth he didnt wait for any other offers.  I was wrong it was his grandfather that played.   I follow basketball all year around not just during the season.  

This is my school, I got to follow some legacy at least,” Eaglestaff said. “They’re division 1, I’ll get a full ride without my mom paying for school. That’s all I want to do cause she did so much for me. I got the offer in, I think it was January, definitely it was January or February. Then I asked my mom, cause I was freaking out, I was like, ‘should I just commit now?’ And she was like, ‘no you got to wait. What if you want to go bigger or something like that?’ I was like, I wouldn’t imagine myself anywhere else. I love the coaching staff there and everything else.”

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND08 said:

This is an excellent post of reality.  This team is playing tough defense and winning the boards.  The offense creates opportunity to get to the hoop.

Tyree coming back proves very good players like and believe his system.  That was a tough sell past few seasons providing dividends this season.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

This is my school, I got to follow some legacy at least,” Eaglestaff said. “They’re division 1, I’ll get a full ride without my mom paying for school. That’s all I want to do cause she did so much for me. I got the offer in, I think it was January, definitely it was January or February. Then I asked my mom, cause I was freaking out, I was like, ‘should I just commit now?’ And she was like, ‘no you got to wait. What if you want to go bigger or something like that?’ I was like, I wouldn’t imagine myself anywhere else. I love the coaching staff there and everything else.”

...well...

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

...well...

Didnt I say before that I think Sather is a nice guy and maybe even a players coach?  That doesnt mean he is a good coach.  Most homers on here look at everything with rose colored glasses.  

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

Remind me again how Chaves is preventing it?

He is on record saying “I want to sit back take a look and evaluate the landscape. Then think philosophical and maybe form a committee with Erik leading it! “

On 2/18/2024 at 9:06 AM, Nodak78 said:

This team is playing with a mission.  They could be playing for a championship and dancing.  However, the standing so close top 5-6 teams could win the tournament.  If I could get the time off I would attend this year potentially so many good games available.

It was fun. UND has a hospitality room with refreshments and a great chance to visit with like-minded fans and meet the parents of the players and not saying that things can't change, but based on conversations I was in, I came away feeling confident we were not going to lose any of our young stars - which proved true. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

Heh?

44 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Heh?

You think he had some great division one players when he started? I can start with the kid from Montana.  Most of the players that left all went to division 2 schools. Kind of tells me not great division one recruits . 

3 hours ago, CMSioux said:

It was fun. UND has a hospitality room with refreshments and a great chance to visit with like-minded fans and meet the parents of the players and not saying that things can't change, but based on conversations I was in, I came away feeling confident we were not going to lose any of our young stars - which proved true. 

What kind of resfreshmens

40 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

You think he had some great division one players when he started? I can start with the kid from Montana.  Most of the players that left all went to division 2 schools. Kind of tells me not great division one recruits . 

I’m not saying every kid was D1 worthy but it didn’t start with Trey. Tyree was certainly D1 worthy. Bruns was D1 worthy, as much as I hate him. I think Sims was D1 worthy, he just made some poor decisions. Nero was D1 worthy, but he fell off a cliff. Danielson is D1 worthy, even with as much flack as he gets. Norman was D1 worthy. T is D1 worthy. Brooks some would say is D1 worthy. 

You can argue some of those (I know some will with Brady and I’m not trying to say he’s D1 starter or even regular mins but he can play D1 (low major) ball). My main point is this didn’t start with Trey. Sather has been able to get some talented kids here. Landing Trey may have been easy but it wasn’t just a complete shoe-in and Trey wasn’t the only determinant in getting BJ and Eli here. All the legacy and all that helped but some credit is due to Sather and co. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

I would say Sather's biggest recruitment was Eaglestaff and he got BJ and Eli here.  The only reason Treyson came here is because of his uncle that played here.  So No extensions for Sather.  Most of our good fortune started with Treyson's commitment and it had nothing to do with Sather.  Go back and look at the video when he committed. 

You posted this, then posted Treyson's quote saying "I love the coaching staff there".

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I’m not saying every kid was D1 worthy but it didn’t start with Trey. Tyree was certainly D1 worthy. Bruns was D1 worthy, as much as I hate him. I think Sims was D1 worthy, he just made some poor decisions. Nero was D1 worthy, but he fell off a cliff. Danielson is D1 worthy, even with as much flack as he gets. Norman was D1 worthy. T is D1 worthy. Brooks some would say is D1 worthy. 

You can argue some of those (I know some will with Brady and I’m not trying to say he’s D1 starter or even regular mins but he can play D1 (low major) ball). My main point is this didn’t start with Trey. Sather has been able to get some talented kids here. Landing Trey may have been easy but it wasn’t just a complete shoe-in and Trey wasn’t the only determinant in getting BJ and Eli here. All the legacy and all that helped but some credit is due to Sather and co. 

Brady D1... Really?