SiouxSports.com Forum

HAWKS VS tigers (SATURDAY)

iluvdebbies

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

Why at this point are you following since they have no chance to do anything.  Sucks to get older, but to get old and crotchety must really suck.

Oh, here we go…I suppose I should just b*tch about the officials like everyone else instead, right?  Berry won a title in 2016 so lock him up for another decade.  You’re right, North Dakota athletics is in a state of awesomeness across the board this season, we should all be thrilled. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Irish said:

Don't you just love where our program is now?  The question now is how long is this going to go on before changes are made - my over/under is 5 more years. Someone somewhere needs to get a clue.

Have we become that guy blabbering on about how he scored 4 touchdowns in a single high school football game. Have we become the Al Buddy of college hockey.

8 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Oh, here we go…I suppose I should just b*tch about the officials like everyone else instead, right?  Berry won a title in 2016 so lock him up for another decade.  You’re right, North Dakota athletics is in a state of awesomeness across the board this season, we should all be thrilled. 

Exactly this - no one is held to any standards anymore - I've been a fan since the early70's and have never seen a team regress like this one. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Irish said:

Exactly this - no one is held to any standards anymore - I've been a fan since the early70's and have never seen a team regress like this one. 

Fair point.  I've also been an adult Sioux hockey fan since 1970 and have seen a lot of bad teams.   As far as unmet expectations, a lot of fans will remember those teams around '89-92--the Greg Johnson years.   They had some awesome offensive talent during that time (Johnson, D. Ward, R. Romaniuk, N. Eisenhut, et al.) and were rated #1 early in one of those years.  Still, they just never produced (that I recall).   Goaltending?  Overall bad defense?  Gino gone stale and ready for pasture?  Just the wrong combination of talent?  Some of the GF posters here will have a better idea than I, but I've thought about those teams from time to time this year.  

27 minutes ago, burd said:

Fair point.  I've also been an adult Sioux hockey fan since 1970 and have seen a lot of bad teams.   As far as unmet expectations, a lot of fans will remember those teams around '89-92--the Greg Johnson years.   They had some awesome offensive talent during that time (Johnson, D. Ward, R. Romaniuk, N. Eisenhut, et al.) and were rated #1 early in one of those years.  Still, they just never produced (that I recall).   Goaltending?  Overall bad defense?  Gino gone stale and ready for pasture?  Just the wrong combination of talent?  Some of the GF posters here will have a better idea than I, but I've thought about those teams from time to time this year.  

I was in school during the Hrkac Circus championship team.

The following season we had quite a bit of turnover as we lost several players early to Professional hockey. People forget that Hrkac, Joyce, Belfour, and Kidd all could have returned for the 87-88 season. The 86-87 team averaged 5.5 goals a game and gave up 2.6.

In 87-88 we were a .500 team going 21-20-1. Team scored 4.2 goals a game and gave up 3.7 goals and save percentage was under .895.

IN 88-89 we were 22-18-1 and scored 4 goals a game while giving up 3.3 a game. Jason Herter, Dixon Ward, Dane Jackson, abd Justin Duberman were all freshman on this team.

In 89-90 we were 28-13-4 and scored 5.6 goals a game(more than the Hrkac Circus) and allowed 3.8 a game and the goaltending was not good. Greg Johnson and Dave Hakstol arrived on campus this season.

In 90-91 we were 24-17-2 and scored 4.8 a game while giving up 3.9 a game. Lost Blais and Serratore as assistants and didn't really bring in any big recruits. Goaltending remained an issue with save percentage under .880 as we still have not replace Belfour 4 years later. Gino's dual role as athletic director has caught up with the program and the loss of great recruiters would set the tone for the final 3 years of the Gasparini era. I will say that Gasparini did hit some home runs in coaching hires for men's and women's basketball, baseball, and football during his tenure. We also lose Cary Eades as an assistant.

91-92 the slide really starts as we go 17-21-1 and scoring drops to 4.3 a game and we give up 4.9 a game and save percentage is under .880

92-93 is the bottoming out at 12-25-1 as scoring drops to 3.6 a game and our defensive numbers are n ot even posted on Hockey DB. 

93-94 is the rock bottom as we go 11-23-4 and scoring drops to 3.1 a game and we give up 4.3 a game. 

2 seasons for Blais to right the ship and we are back.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, petey23 said:

The following season we had quite a bit of turnover as we lost several players early to Professional hockey. People forget that Hrkac, Joyce, Belfour, and Kidd all could have returned for the 87-88 season. The 86-87 team averaged 5.5 goals a game and gave up 2.6.

In 87-88 we were a .500 team going 21-20-1. Team scored 4.2 goals a game and gave up 3.7 goals and save percentage was under .895.

IN 88-89 we were 22-18-1 and scored 4 goals a game while giving up 3.3 a game. Jason Herter, Dixon Ward, Dane Jackson, abd Justin Duberman were all freshman on this team.

In 89-90 we were 28-13-4 and scored 5.6 goals a game(more than the Hrkac Circus) and allowed 3.8 a game and the goaltending was not good. Greg Johnson and Dave Hakstol arrived on campus this season.

In 90-91 we were 24-17-2 and scored 4.8 a game while giving up 3.9 a game. Lost Blais and Serratore as assistants and didn't really bring in any big recruits. Goaltending remained an issue with save percentage under .880 as we still have not replace Belfour 4 years later. Gino's dual role as athletic director has caught up with the program and the loss of great recruiters would set the tone for the final 3 years of the Gasparini era. I will say that Gasparini did hit some home runs in coaching hires for men's and women's basketball, baseball, and football during his tenure. We also lose Cary Eades as an assistant.

91-92 the slide really starts as we go 17-21-1 and scoring drops to 4.3 a game and we give up 4.9 a game and save percentage is under .880

92-93 is the bottoming out at 12-25-1 as scoring drops to 3.6 a game and our defensive numbers are n ot even posted on Hockey DB. 

93-94 is the rock bottom as we go 11-23-4 and scoring drops to 3.1 a game and we give up 4.3 a game. 

We could very well mirror what took place 30 years ago. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Fall of 1991 Romaniuk and Herter left school to go pro right before the start of the season, leading to a disastrous campaign.  I wouldn’t blame Greg Johnson - he was a one-man gang. 

He was--and a class act.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, burd said:

He was--and a class act.

After posting that, I googled Greg, thinking I remembered he'd passed fairly recently.   I learned (again, probably) the circumstances of his death, and it was very saddening, as I recall him as a fine young man during his time at UND.   Puts things in perspective about this game and about life.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, petey23 said:

This is a great walk down memory lane.  I was pretty young during these years but was a hardcore fan.  

2 hours ago, burd said:

After posting that, I googled Greg, thinking I remembered he'd passed fairly recently.   I learned (again, probably) the circumstances of his death, and it was very saddening, as I recall him as a fine young man during his time at UND.   Puts things in perspective about this game and about life.  

Still doesn’t make any sense.  

On 2/25/2023 at 8:43 PM, MafiaMan said:

But it increases goal scoring chances in OT.  Plus there’s the added bonus of seeing Ovechkin break Gretzky’s record with 2 fewer men on the ice than when #99 set it in the first place

The NHL should listen to their starts like McDavid and just do 5x5 OT for 10 minutes and no shootout.