SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/unds-five-on-three-penalty-kill-an-example-of-the-things-its-doing-right-this-season

This year, UND got its 11th victory on Nov. 25. Last season, the 11th win came on Jan. 27.

The last time UND had 11 wins by Nov. 25? The Hrkac Circus team of 1986-87.

UND is blocking 14.14 shots per game — most of any National Collegiate Hockey Conference team. Colorado College is second at 12.17.

Fighting Hawks players rank first, second and third in the league in blocks — Bennett Zmolek (31), Abram Wiebe (24) and Garrett Pyke (22).

UND has become the best faceoff team in the NCHC, winning 55.1 percent of draws.

Three UND centers rank in the top 10 individually in the NCHC — Berg is first at 63 percent, Louis Jamernik V is seventh at 55 percent and Owen McLaughlin is 10th at 54.2 percent.

Persson leads the NCHC in goals-against average (1.85) and save percentage (.924). He leads the nation in wins (11) and shutouts (three).

40 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Seriously, that Hrkac Circus comp got my blood pumping. The year 1987 was the best sports year ever. My grandparents had ‘87 memorabilia on display (mostly Twins but also Sioux) until we had to throw everything away after the flood. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/is-jake-livanavage-playing-himself-into-world-junior-contention

But when Berry was asked how he would describe freshman defenseman Jake Livanavage to someone who has never seen him play, he couldn't help but think of another former UND player.

"I think he's got a little Troy Stecher in him," Berry said. "Troy Stecher wasn't the biggest defenseman, but he played like he was. When Jake Livanavage hops over the boards, he's playing for keeps."

USA Hockey has been tracking his progression. Livanavage might be working his way into contention for the World Junior Championship roster thanks to his play in the first half of the season.

Tryout camp invites are expected to be extended next week.

Livanavage will get to do an audition this weekend.

USA's head coach is David Carle, who also is Denver's head coach.

8 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

How many years do we think Livanavage plays in a UND jersey?

Given his play, and not having been drafted, I wonder if and when an NHL club makes him an offer to leave early. 

My guess is…at the very least 3. It’s pretty early. Also, D is really tough. He’s been a pleasant surprise for me. I watched him at the WJSS this past summer and I was thinking he may not even be in the lineup in year 1 :) 

5 minutes ago, RedFrog said:

We jumped to #1 in the Pairwise after tonight's games.  Long way to go, but I would rather be here than sitting at 8 or 11 right now.

Big jump...I think we were #6 at the beginning of the day.

UND, BU, Maine, QU, BC

Keep it rolling!

37 minutes ago, burd said:

How long has it been since UND had so many who can snipe?  Blake, Gaber, Perron, Berg, McLaughlin, Johannes . . .

Ultimately, that is the difference between winning a lot of games and being stuck on 2 or 3 goals and possibly losing them.  Persson has been lights out most nights, but being a bit off tonight we definitely needed having several snipers with their best stuff tonight. 

• Upvote 1

After the big DU weekend....

Every team in the NCHC has now played 6 league games.
UND is in 2nd place, 2 pts behind SCSU and 5 pts ahead of DU.

More importantly, they stay at #1 in the PWR even with the OT loss.  They were #6 entering the weekend, so a very nice bump up there.

• Upvote 2