SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

1 hour ago, Kevin G said:

With ten games played of 36 regular-season games scheduled, UND is just past the quarter pole for the 2023-24 season. So far, UND is averaging:

• 3.2 goals/game, which is tied for 20th in the nation
  • 2.0 goals allowed/game, which is tied for 5th best in the nation

I really thought we'd be scoring more goals than we're scoring and that we'd be allowing more goals (quite a bit more) than we're allowing. In other words, I thought our offense would be a little better and I thought our defense would be worse.

By comparison, last year's team scored 3.3 goals/game (9th best in the nation) and allowed 2.8 goals/game (29th in the nation). So this year's team is scoring about the same as last year's team but defending much better. 

Probably related: Last year's save% was .886 (57th in the nation). This year's save% is .922 so far (7th in the nation).

Also interesting is that shots allowed per game is about the same so far this year as it was last year.  Last year they allowed 24.6 shots per game average.  This year so far it's 25.6 shots per game.  One shot MORE per game, but save percentage is that much higher.  Says a lot about Perrson.  It doesn't say anything about the quality of the shots, though.  It could be that there are far fewer high quality shots and that this year they're keeping them more to the outside.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, BigGreyAnt41 said:

Also interesting is that shots allowed per game is about the same so far this year as it was last year.  Last year they allowed 24.6 shots per game average.  This year so far it's 25.6 shots per game.  One shot MORE per game, but save percentage is that much higher.  Says a lot about Perrson.  It doesn't say anything about the quality of the shots, though.  It could be that there are far fewer high quality shots and that this year they're keeping them more to the outside.

Good point. Raw SOG totals can be misleading, especially if the goalie gets hung out to dry on a consistent basis. Which seemed like what happened alot last year: bad turnover led to a breakaway or poor d-zone coverage led to an opponent left alone in front of the net. But at the end of the game, we had only allowed like 23 shots on goal.

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Having watched every team play, UND is absolutely deserving of their current standing in the polls. What makes you think we shouldn't be ranked that high? We've beaten the currently ranked No. 1, No. 6, No. 8 team, not to mention solid programs like UMD and Minnesota State. 

So versus UMn, UMD, and MSUM, UND is 4-1-1. 

Have some work to do against SCSU and Bemidji and UMD but that Minnesota Cup is in sight. ;) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hayduke1 said:

This #2 ranking concerns me a bit.  They’ve improved and keep on improving, but I’m not so sure about this high ranking. 

hopefully they’ll get the four wins up to the Denver series. Then let’s see how they do at Magnus 

Truth is, under all that fluff we suck.   Haven't played a full 60 since '87.   Music sucks these days too.   Miss the Bee Gees.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Hayduke1 said:

This #2 ranking concerns me a bit.  They’ve improved and keep on improving, but I’m not so sure about this high ranking. 

hopefully they’ll get the four wins up to the Denver series. Then let’s see how they do at Magnus 

The thing is, it doesn't matter much anyway because very few teams stay put from week to week.  I am also of the opinion that it is best to just hang around in the 4-7 range and let other teams have the bullseye on them.  

• Upvote 4

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/some-und-players-begin-wearing-neck-protection

More than half of UND's players began wearing neck protection during last weekend's series at Minnesota Duluth.

The undershirts with turtlenecks arrived in Grand Forks on Thursday and equipment manager Dan Johansson had them shipped to Duluth in time for Friday's series opener.

Of UND's 19 skaters who dressed against the Bulldogs, 12 wore the new undershirts including the Fighting Hawks' entire top line — Owen McLaughlin, Jackson Blake and captain Riese Gaber.

"I didn't even notice it, honestly," Gaber said. "They're really comfy and obviously they're a good option for us to have."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

It's a standard underlayer shirt with a Kevlar "turtleneck" added. I suspect some of the lads wore them in youth hockey. 

I wish they had them in ancient times* when I got hooked high and it rode off my shoulder to my Adam's apple.

@burd, before you ask, no onion on the belt. Neither belts nor onions had been invented yet.