SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

It would be a godsend if Frisch returned.  Caulfield would be a welcomed return, but nothing vital.   Can't imagine Johnson not going portal. 

Best case scenario, at least starting out: 

Portal
Hellsten
Portal
Johnson

Frisch - Moore
Strathmann - Bast
Wiebe - Livanavage
(Komzak, Benoit)

Blake - McLaughlin - Perron
Gaber - Schmaltz - James
Emerson - Jamernik - Caulfield
Strinden - Costantini - Portz
(Ness, Kunz, Croal, Montgomery)

39 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I’d swap jamernik and Perron , looks like an awesome line up. 

On the offensive side, I love it. Need guys like McLaughlin, Schmaltz, Strinden, Portz, and hopefully Gaber to continually be focusing on their defensive development. Gonna be A LOT of turnover on the d-corps. Have to have it.

1 hour ago, SKondrashkin said:

It would be a godsend if Frisch returned.  Caulfield would be a welcomed return, but nothing vital.   Can't imagine Johnson not going portal. 

Best case scenario, at least starting out: 

Portal
Hellsten
Portal
Johnson

Frisch - Moore
Strathmann - Bast
Wiebe - Livanavage
(Komzak, Benoit)

Blake - McLaughlin - Perron
Gaber - Schmaltz - James
Emerson - Jamernik - Caulfield
Strinden - Costantini - Portz
(Ness, Kunz, Croal, Montgomery)

Very good lineup. With that said, I'd say I'd like someone else on the top line with Blake and McLaughlin simply from a size aspect. Perron is gonna take a minute to adjust. I'd maybe flip Perron and James. Maybe consider Juddy or Strinden on that top line. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, jdub27 said:

I don't understand why, because on paper it shouldn't be the case, but might not be a bad thing...

2, 3, and 7 are out of eligibility.
25 will sign (I'd be shocked otherwise).
That's half. 

15 has a Covid year left; will he use it?
6 is a curious situation. 
4 and 24 are the other two. 

The D is more question than answer. 

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

2, 3, and 7 are out of eligibility.
25 will sign (I'd be shocked otherwise).
That's half. 

15 has a Covid year left; will he use it?
6 is a curious situation. 
4 and 24 are the other two. 

The D is more question than answer. 

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/team/Minnesota-Duluth/36/overall,20172018

Duluth won a National Championship with 5 freshmen defensemen, why not us?;)    Of course, guys like Mikey Anderson and Scott Perunovich help, but hopefully we get a few that can step up right away.   After this year, maybe we need a few guys that haven't been a part of the bad habits that somehow transpired this year.  

39 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I don't understand why, because on paper it shouldn't be the case, but might not be a bad thing...

I mean, we're losing 3 guys with a lot of college hockey experience and could lose a few more. So, there's gonna be some turnover. Frisch coming back is a huge deal. If that happens, we should be ok. If he doesn't, we're going to need to hit on one portal guy and maybe even 2. When I say hit, at minimum, we need a guy like Sidorski and despite his inconsistent play of late, Ty Farmer has had a good year overall, IMO. Two strong defensive-minded d-men are needed.

20 minutes ago, tnt said:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/team/Minnesota-Duluth/36/overall,20172018

Duluth won a National Championship with 5 freshmen defensemen, why not us?;)    Of course, guys like Mikey Anderson and Scott Perunovich help, but hopefully we get a few that can step up right away.   After this year, maybe we need a few guys that haven't been a part of the bad habits that somehow transpired this year.  

For sure helped them having Perunovich who came in as a freshman and led the team in points by a fair margin.
Not sure any of our incoming D fit that mold, but for sure our current D recruits should be steady.

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I mean, we're losing 3 guys with a lot of college hockey experience and could lose a few more. So, there's gonna be some turnover. Frisch coming back is a huge deal. If that happens, we should be ok. If he doesn't, we're going to need to hit on one portal guy and maybe even 2. When I say hit, at minimum, we need a guy like Sidorski and despite his inconsistent play of late, Ty Farmer has had a good year overall, IMO. Two strong defensive-minded d-men are needed.

Agreed.

26 minutes ago, tnt said:

I'm very excited about Strathmann and Livanavage (By the way, I found out that his name is sounded out like Live-Ah-Nah-Vij - gonna have to take some time to learn that one lol), but the rest playing as freshmen will require our fanbase to calm the eff down and let them develop lol.

26 minutes ago, tnt said:

Dlueyth also has a title proven coach 3x winner

andbgets blue chippaz atleast once per year 

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm very excited about Strathmann and Livanavage (By the way, I found out that his name is sounded out like Live-Ah-Nav-Age - gonna have to take some time to learn that one lol), but the rest playing as freshmen will require our fanbase to calm the eff down and let them develop lol.

And maybe the coach will play them so they get expierence. 

4 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

And maybe the coach will play them so they get expierence. 

LOL not gonna have a choice.

I'm assuming you're referring to Johnson. I think he should be playing more, but goodness, the kid had all the chances he could get to start the year. He was always gonna be a project from a defensive standpoint, but I don't for a second believe UND's staff hasn't been coaching him up. He's just not very good in the d-zone. This stuff happens.

33 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I get all that about who's going, who might stay, etc.
My point was, on paper, losing what they are shouldn't be a good thing, it is a lot of talent. But based on how this year has went, maybe a big turnover isn't a bad thing.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

My point was, on paper, losing what they are shouldn't be a good thing, it is a lot of talent. But based on how this year has went, maybe a big turnover isn't a bad thing.

Long-term? Yes, I think it's not a bad thing. For the 23-24 season, it'll come with some bumps.

18 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Ah, you're saying ... 

Reset-Button-300x300-1.jpg <-- Press here.