SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Fun stat for analytic haters:

Our favorite xG says UND should be 13-3 this season. We are 12-3-1.

:whistling:

The mystical pixie dust xG is never warranted in a conversation with a team scores and wins.....or ever actually.

53 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

The mystical pixie dust xG is never warranted in a conversation with a team scores and wins.....or ever actually.

Oh, Oxbow. Why are numbers so scary to you, man?!? Makes sense this year, doesn't it? Seems like we possess the puck a lot and we're pretty good at potting so far this year lol

3 hours ago, burd said:

If they don't sweep, it'll be because Berry can't coach and the boys can never play a full 60.   The refs too, of course . . .

But you're right--they should sweep.  

You have to win your conference home games, because you will lose some conference games on the road. The league is just too good top to bottom.

We lost to Miami at home last season. And it didn't help our cause at the end of the year.

• Upvote 1

Spoiler alert...more xG notes incoming.  ;)

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/can-the-und-hockey-team-keep-up-its-current-pace

So, what does xG say about UND's start this season?

It expects UND's record to be 13-3. The Fighting Hawks are 12-3-1. It's virtually spot on. That indicates UND's fast start to the season has not been smoke and mirrors. The Fighting Hawks have deserved their record.

A deeper look also shows one area where UND has overperformed this season.

The stat says UND should have 59 goals this season. The Fighting Hawks have 60. They're scoring goals almost exactly at the rate expected for the chances they've created.

The stat also says UND should have 42 goals against this season. The Fighting Hawks have given up 35. That means goaltender Ludvig Persson has saved an impressive seven goals above the average goaltender and his play has been as good as the eye test indicates.

2 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Are we even a lock to make the tourney yet? A 1 seed would be great but lots of hockey left.

I think we're all aware of this. Nothing wrong with talking about possibilities in a place where we all talk about maybe things, including possibilities lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Are we even a lock to make the tourney yet? A 1 seed would be great but lots of hockey left.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but wasn’t there a Gopher team in the past decade that was ranked #1 at about this point of the season, then ended up missing the national tournament? 

If I’m wrong don’t tell me. It’s a pleasant memory. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but wasn’t there a Gopher team in the past decade that was ranked #1 at about this point of the season, then ended up missing the national tournament? 

If I’m wrong don’t tell me. It’s a pleasant memory. 

I know Omaha had a fall from grace like that within the last decade.

28 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I know Omaha had a fall from grace like that within the last decade.

Omaha seems to load up the front end of their schedule with a ton of home games against a bunch of cupcakes and then fall back to reality once league play begins. Go look back at their past handful of seasons, particularly under Gabenet and you’ll see what I mean. 

28 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Omaha seems to load up the front end of their schedule with a ton of home games against a bunch of cupcakes and then fall back to reality once league play begins. Go look back at their past handful of seasons, particularly under Gabenet and you’ll see what I mean. 

That’s why I always question every year how good they are until about January. 

18 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

That’s why I always question every year how good they are until about January. 

Yah, and I want to be clear, they are not a bad team but if you look back at the past couple of seasons, their weak non-conference schedule has sometimes come back to haunt them. Bad losses at home against teams like Niagra probably helped dig them into a hole. I can think of some bad losses for UND that may have cost them a tournament spot as well. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Doing a Penn State. The Desert holiday Classic has good teams, but they need to win that tournament. Ohio State being bad this year compared to recent years was a letdown for their non-conference games.