SiouxSports.com Forum

Lunatics @ hawks Saturday thread

gfhockey

5 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

This just isn't a very good hockey team and it starts with not having a capable D1 goalie on the roster. Scored enough to win but dzone is a problem and you won't win many college hockey games when your goaltender allows a weak goal let alone 3.

Berry is now gonna have the program at a point of missing 3 of the last 5 NCAA Tournaments which just isn't remotely close to good enough. It is time to make the move.

I have absolutely no confidence in this staff - we are repeating the same mistakes especially on defense over and over and if anything getting worse.  One of the Worst teams in over 40 years.

• Upvote 1

D

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

This is 100% correct.  How in the world has it gotten to this?

"How many goals do you think Johnson will give up tonight" a friend asked me when word got out.

Minimum 5 I said.....guess I was wrong again.  

Desperation is my only answer, our coach has no answer and is pulling at straws at this point.

I was not exactly sober last night, and not very eloquent.  I'll attempt to remedy that here.

UND's defensive zone pursuit of the puck and ability to simply get it out of the zone is perhaps the worst I've ever seen.  Not moving their feet, not playing with jump defensively.  Losing puck competitions and allowing far too many passes within the zone.

Berry's post game comments:  "We have to be predictable for each other.  Need to play 60 minutes, not 40."  Same old, same old.  This team apparently can't learn from film or games lost.

Are any of our 3 goaltenders good?  Not from what I've seen.  One or two inspiring saves, offset by bunches of savable goals. 

Outlook?  Yet another season where UND misses the playoffs.  This will be the 3rd time in Berry's relatively short tenure, and the first time with as much talent as he has on paper.  People need to start asking if we have the right coach, honestly.  He's a great guy, but is he a great coach?  UND deserves to have a GREAT coach.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Username Taken said:

I think the coaching staff has tried everything they can think of. The personnel just isn’t good. Go thru the lineup and tell me who is a game changer. Frisch, Kleven when not suspended, Blake, and Gaber on the PP. Everyone else is average, which is why this team is average. Throw in bad goaltending and this team is exactly where they should be. 

Which exactly illustrates the second part of this problem - the Coaches have recruited and assembled this team.  There is absolutely no reason a program of our stature should be 60th in the nation in Goalie stats - none, nada, zip.  Add in our defense and here we are.  Coaches are 100% responsible for this season.

• Upvote 4

Must win game, Berry starts Johnson who gives up 7 when UND scores 6. That is so absurd. DeRidder the only goalie that has a high ceiling doesn’t play as they get swept. It’s just one of those years. Seemingly ever decision Berry makes back fires. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, AJS said:

Must win game, Berry starts Johnson who gives up 7 when UND scores 6. That is so absurd. DeRidder the only goalie that has a high ceiling doesn’t play as they get swept. It’s just one of those years. Seemingly ever decision Berry makes back fires. 

I agree with giving him at chance, but maybe not against this team. Also, how many goals does he have to give up before you realize it's  not his night? 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Username Taken said:

I think the coaching staff has tried everything they can think of. The personnel just isn’t good. Go thru the lineup and tell me who is a game changer. Frisch, Kleven when not suspended, Blake, and Gaber on the PP. Everyone else is average, which is why this team is average. Throw in bad goaltending and this team is exactly where they should be. 

On paper this team is far better than average.    Talent wise they;re better and more experienced than last year; a team that won the NCHC.  Driscoll and Ford are the only significant loses considering Sanderson didn't play the entire 2nd half and Calder was useless after the Goofs nearly slashed his arm off midseason.    

It's basically the exact same D-core as the 2nd half of last year when they went on a massive winning streak en route to the league title.  Last year they looked great, this year they're aweful.  

It's so perplexing.          

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I agree with giving him at chance, but maybe not against this team. Also, how many goals does he have to give up before you realize it's  not his night? 

Wish he would have given him Friday night instead. I don’t know if it’s fully sunk in yet that Berry thought the combo of Hellsten / Johnson gave this team the best opportunity to win this weekend.

33 minutes ago, AJS said:

DeRidder should have started the 3rd period, without question. We started leaking oil at the end of the 2nd period and needed an experienced goalie to finish things off. 100% on Berry there. Even Stoney can’t put a positive spin on the coaching tonight. 

29 and 21 played well in very limited minutes. 26 and 18 need to back in the lineup moving forward. As bad as our D was tonight 6 needs ice time too. Those 5 are the future of this team. I'm guessing a couple will bolt if BB doesn't stop the square peg in round hole lineup stuff. Get these 5 ice time starting next weekend vs UMD. 

.....DeRidder has to get the start. He's struggled but he's the only one of the 3 that can potentially put 3 solid periods together.

As far as 9 22 17 I like that line but.......try 9 8 26 then go 10 22 17. How about then back to 21 20 18 from last night. Go 29 27 19. 28 can be the extra.....PP and PK

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, SKondrashkin said:

On paper this team is far better than average.    Talent wise they;re better and more experienced than last year; a team that won the NCHC.  Driscoll and Ford are the only significant loses considering Sanderson didn't play the entire 2nd half and Calder was useless after the Goofs nearly slashed his arm off midseason.    

It's basically the exact same D-core as the 2nd half of last year when they went on a massive winning streak en route to the league title.  Last year they looked great, this year they're aweful.  

It's so perplexing.          

Last year, SCSU underperformed. The skill and talent of the NCHC is much better this year.