SiouxSports.com Forum

The "NODAK" Trademark

The Sicatoka

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

Give it to UND.  Say you would've done it sooner but forgot.  And let's move on.

Agree. 

Even if every intent was good-willed and non-malicious, how this appears is unsavory for the Berrys and completely uncomplimentary to UND. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

As what you would call a hawkzi, I don't mind the NODAK jerseys.  What I mind is the daughter of the coach who ordered the jerseys holding the trademark. 

Give it to UND.  Say you would've done it sooner but forgot.  And let's move on.

And for tax purposes, the value of this charitable contribution is $0.

37 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

No you won't.

You'll just sit there quietly.. irrelevant behind your keyboard.

Whatever you say but the people who know me on this site would say otherwise. I’d be happy to meet you or anyone at Judy’s and discuss this. I’d also be happy to discuss it with Berry.

I don't have an opinion on this yet, just a lot of questions at this point.

So, what IS Chaves position on this?  Is this equivalent to the basketball court design fiasco?  Who signs off on Jersey orders?  Is UND getting paid  any sort of licensing fee for NODAK jersey sales at the Ralph and other stores?  What are Chaves thoughts on the apparel offerings at the Sioux Shop?  Who is running the athletic department?  Is there any oversight?

Also, did plans for the NODAK jersey and branding have anything to do with UND taking it's multimedia/licensing rights in-house after the Learfield contract expired?  What exactly IS "Fighting Hawks Sports Partnerships", like is it actually some sort of legal entity, or does that name just represent the existing/ongoing sponsorship terms between UND and the REA, as spelled out in the Usage Agreement?  Since the unveiling of "Fighting Hawks Sports Partnerships" has anything changed, either operationally or financially, in regard to the UND/REA usage agreement? 

Now that Port wrote his article, I find these quotes from an Inforum article somewhat interesting:
"The object is to have more flexibility and to capitalize on relationships," UND's associate athletic director for external operations Kyle Doperalski said.
"After months of discussion, we came to the conclusion we could do those things ourselves. It will give us more flexibility and we'll be able to control our own destiny, so to speak, in a few aspects," Doperalski said.

Two more questions: 1) what relationships was Kyle referring to, and 2) what did the "months of discussion" look like, and who participated in the discussions?

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

As what you would call a hawkzi, I don't mind the NODAK jerseys.  What I mind is the daughter of the coach who ordered the jerseys holding the trademark. 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Agree. 

Even if every intent was good-willed and non-malicious, how this appears is unsavory for the Berrys and completely uncomplimentary to UND. 

Hopefully this was all much ado about nothing.  That’s my hope anyways. 

24 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Be careful in posting this  - I believe NODAK cards are covered as “merchandise” under the trademark.  

Fair Use Doctrine.. Educational purposes.  Ya'll been edumacated.

8 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I see lots of carts in front of lots of horses. We will know more in a few days. Maybe withhold judgement until the facts are.......nah, never mind.

That's not very internet forum of you.

17 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Fair Use Doctrine.. Educational purposes. 

True. 
Using someone else's TM in commerce is a far different area. You'd best have signed usage (license) agreements. Hope UND had and can show those and didn't just have a verbal "sure, go ahead" okey-dokey. 

2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Do we know for certain whether or not NODAK LLC was paid for use of their trademarked word?

We don’t know anything other than who owns the trademark and that NODAK is on UND jerseys and apparel. All of the assumptions and accusations only create rumors.
It would have been best to inquire to UND with the legitimate concerns regarding the trademark, who made decisions and were policies violated or laws broken. If UND doesn’t respond in a timely manner with the clear answers and the accurate information regarding the situation (appropriate action depending on the facts)  then the media can help get the facts.

Instead we have a sh.. storm to deal with. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Well, according to @Frozen4sioux there's a grand master 'strategery' in play. He'll explain. 

Maybe explain yourself... or the behind the scenes moves you described trying to "expose" this....

Which is kinda like leaking nudes of a playmate... hut you sure seemed like you where well"in the know" of who this was being "taken to"..

you know.... before it had to be farmed out the The sleezeball Port.

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Ya think?  This was probably a quick phone call to Las Vegas to see if a certain booster wouldn’t mind ponying up $100K or so to purchase the trademark and then “give” it to UND.  Brad gets some hockey jerseys for his team to placate the “Sioux Forever” mob, said donor continues to be the superhero, and daddy’s girl quietly makes a few bucks on the side.  Everyone’s a winner.  

But that’s probably just wild speculation on my part…

This pretty much sums it up.  I'm even going to give the kid the benefit of the doubt.  Although her involvement is puzzling for simpletons such as myself.  I'll await more details.