SiouxSports.com Forum

The "NODAK" Trademark

The Sicatoka

37 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Calling man's daughter dumb is something one should answer to behind the rink.

I'd doubt you'd be man enough to stand up to your comments, but also doubt Berry would stoop down to your level to teach you.

Either way I'd pay to watch that.

I'll stand up to my comments any day of the week and take your money while I am at it. I can't help it that you get offended by words so easily.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

Folks think that Berry would risk decades of good will, and his professional name, for a few bucks on a few jerseys?  There was absolutely nothing surreptitious about this.  Some of the speculation is completely bonkers.   Risk your livelihood and reputation for $100,000?... come on...

If there was something nefarious by Berry it would be an all time bonehead move.  I don't see it.

What if the goal wasn't a buck, but to create a hockey-only identity at UND.
That's what @Frozen4siouxseems to be claiming. 

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Well if wild speculation is the game ... and following Frozen's trail ...

Brad and some cohorts (he'd need a lawyer like the name in Port's story) decide they don't want to use the official UND nickname. So they pick what Berry wanted during voting and use Brianna's LLC to get control over it. They have no profit intent in mind. They just want their own hockey nickname that isn't UND's official name. They get the word and use it, thus creating a new identity that is not UND's official identity. Ingenious.

And insubordinate. 

CSU-Long Beach-

49ers

1949ers

Beach

Dirtbags

Pretty sure the baseball team just started calling themselves and marketing themselves as "the dirtbags"....would like to know how that whole process played out.

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

What if the goal wasn't a buck, but to create a hockey-only identity at UND.
That's what @Frozen4siouxseems to be claiming. 

Well I'm not so sure I would want our team called NODAKs.  Down here in Twin Cities land there's usually a certain 'F' word that precedes NODAK...and it's not Fightin'.

3 minutes ago, petey23 said:

CSU-Long Beach-

49ers

1949ers

Beach

Dirtbags

Pretty sure the baseball team just started calling themselves and marketing themselves as "the dirtbags"....would like to know how that whole process played out.

And what a great way to market your brand by having 175 different identities. Maybe McDonald’s should try making their locations recognizable by changing the colors, going with “Mickey D’s or Mack Daddy’s…

…wait, a separate brand sounds like a horrible idea.  But at least there aren’t Hawks logos on the hockey jersey fronts. 

Just now, Blackheart said:

Well I'm not so sure I would want our team called NODAKs.  Down here in Twin Cities land there's usually a certain 'F' word that precedes NODAK...and it's not Fightin'.

NDSU fans during the vote were ready with NOD--KS. 

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

It's a party but I do agree with Ms. Romanov's assessment. ;) 

Can always count on a good video reference from you. I like sights and sounds better than reading. 

Im as big of fan as the next person in here, but frankly, this doesn’t move the needle for me. Couldn’t really care less. That may be ignorant but the program will go on regardless of staff, Jersey, or nickname they have. And I’ll still watch and cheer on the green. 

6 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

No you won't.

You'll just sit there quietly.. irrelevant behind your keyboard.

I'll start a thread that everyone can post a picture of themselves with their real name.  Should be immensely popular.:whistling:

• Upvote 2

Maybe the disconnect is that I don't feel threatened by a word so much as the HAWKZIs are.....

I see the NODAK sweater more like the fun NBA city nickname jerseys or MLB Fauxbacks.

Not as a replacement of a nickname such as NODAKS... of which the University should have absolutely held onto the trademark for.

HO22_NBACityEdition_NA_OffBody_NewOrleans_Detail_00175_05.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dden3 said:

What if BB fully disclosed this to his boss at the time it was done and they all agreed this would just be considered a perq and part of his deal. 

I don't think the understanding of a perk is in line with something his contract allows....

but the part of it being fully disclosed ... that seems quite important... pertinent, even.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dden3 said:

What if BB fully disclosed this to his boss at the time it was done and they all agreed this would just be considered a perq and part of his deal. 

Cleaner ... as long as he recused from jersey decisions also. But still not a great look.

And why not tell that to the press and be done? 

5 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Maybe the disconnect is that I don't feel threatened by a word so much as the HAWKZIs are.....

I see the NODAK sweater more like the fun NBA city nickname jerseys or MLB Fauxbacks.

Not as a replacement of a nickname such as NODAKS... of which the University should have absolutely held onto the trademark for.

As what you would call a hawkzi, I don't mind the NODAK jerseys.  What I mind is the daughter of the coach who ordered the jerseys holding the trademark. 

Give it to UND.  Say you would've done it sooner but forgot.  And let's move on.

• Upvote 2