SiouxSports.com Forum

The "NODAK" Trademark

The Sicatoka

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I was responding to the post below.  I don't think Berry is all about money.  I think his daughter saw an opportunity and took it.  For his sake, I hope he was unaware.

I don't think his daughter is smart enough to do this and then bring it to her dad to be used on merchandise.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I wonder if there's any other ventures this or similar corporate entities have undertaken?

Even if you're right, what they left in public is hanging Brad Berry out to dry with the appearance of conflict of interest and self dealing and giving UND a black eye. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Even if you're right, what they left in public is hanging Brad Berry out to dry with the appearance of conflict of interest and self dealing and giving UND a black eye. 

Unfortunately, for a lot of people perception is reality.

• Upvote 1

I'll throw my guess as to what happened...

UND's attorney was of the opinion that NODAK, as presented on the jersey, did not need to be trademarked.  Jersey's made.  Berry's daughter obtained trademark and has received nothing from the University.  The motivation behind obtaining it, I have no idea.

I see no way that Berry would facilitate payment to his daughter for this.  That is so clearly a conflict, and I just don't believe it's in his nature at all to do something so stupid.

• Upvote 4

Part of this dilemma is due to UND acquiescing to and attempting to placate the fan base segment that is hanging onto the retired name or looking for something other than the new name to use.

If only UND had a commander in chief, a general officer, that could get it all (in Athletics) into alignment. If only. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Part of this dilemma is due to UND acquiescing to and attempting to placate the fan base segment that is hanging onto the retired name or looking for something other than the new name to use.

If only UND had a commander in chief, a general officer, that could get it all (in Athletics) into alignment. If only. 

Tom Bunning?

4 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

UND's attorney was of the opinion that NODAK, as presented on the jersey, did not need to be trademarked.  Jersey's made.  Berry's daughter obtained trademark and has received nothing from the University.  The motivation behind obtaining it, I have no idea.

I see no way that Berry would facilitate payment to his daughter for this.  That is so clearly a conflict, and I just don't believe it's in his nature at all to do something so stupid.

If you are not looking for a payment, why obtain the trademark? Why not let the University have it right away?

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

I agree with the last part.  No way this wouldn't be considered a conflict, Brad had to know that. 

I hope you're right on the first part, but it does raise the question as to why his daughter would get the trademark.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Walsh Hall said:

More correct than most I've seen.

The timelines are a bit off but the just is there.

The Intent is whats is being bastardized.

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

..is due to UND acquiescing to and attempting to placate the extreamly small minority of people that where satisfied with the process or resulting abomination that the process produced.

i.e. the consumer.

Consumers just love being told what they have to purchase, that works so well in a a free economy. (palm to the forehead emoji)

1 minute ago, Blackheart said:

I hope you're right on the first part, but it does raise the question as to why his daughter would get the trademark.

If the answer is to protect and gift to UND the follow up question is why'd it take until it came to light over two years later. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Mark Kennedy on hold for you, line 1.   

8 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

Until I see proof, this is my take too.  It is such an obvious conflict and so outrageously stupid to try to pull off, that I have a really hard time believing that was the intent and motivation here.

14 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

I don't think his daughter is smart enough to do this and then bring it to her dad to be used on merchandise.  

Calling man's daughter dumb is something one should answer to behind the rink.

I'd doubt you'd be man enough to stand up to your comments, but also doubt Berry would stoop down to your level to teach you.

Either way I'd pay to watch that.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Benny Baker said:

Until I see proof, this is my take too.  It is such an obvious conflict and so outrageously stupid to try to pull off, that I have a really hard time believing that was the intent and motivation here.

I think the word used earlier was Nothingburger...starting to think the same.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The Intent is whats is being bastardized.

The intent, if what you're claiming is true, is attempting to create a hockey-only identity (with no direct profit motive). 

That is no better of a look. 

Dare I say it's akin to insubordination. 

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Tom Clifford?;)

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

In my twenties, I was just trying to figure out how to pay my rent, have some leftover beer money, and chase girls (and not particularly in that order) and I typically failed miserably with at least 2 of these 3 things. Impressed a twenty-something knows how to create LLC’s and obtain trademarks all on her own. Very impressive. 

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The intent, if what you're claiming is true, is attempting to create a hockey-only identity. 

That is no better of a look. 

Dare I say it's akin to insubordination. 

And there's the HAWKZI mantra coming out.... just the seething jealousy of years of being the second fiddle lashing out..

"It's all hockey's fault"

• Downvote 2