SiouxSports.com Forum

The "NODAK" Trademark

The Sicatoka

Public Questions:

Why did UND not acquire the trademark after the April review (noted in UND press release last week) found it was available? Yes, UND had primary rights but why not lock it down completely. 

What was NODAK LLC's intent for acquiring it and then to not use it in commerce? 

The more personal questions:

Bubs didn't know Howie established an LLC (this time in MN, the ND had expired) and acquired the TM for his daughter? Really? 

And didn't Howie see how this could look and could jam up Bubs? 

41 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

At the same time, people's main question right now is "why"?  Who, what, when where, why?  Without knowing all the info, people will continue to wonder.  If everything was kosher, shouldn't that be a simple question to answer?  The lack of details or any answer here obviously causes people to wonder why such a simple question isn't being answered, because, logically, one would think that UND, BB, and Nodak LLC would want to quell discontent. 

I'm not making any accusations and I dont think most of the others who still have concerns about this are either.  Asking a question/s does not equate to an accusation. The information that we've been told just doesn't really add up - given that BB has, so far, chosen not to answer questions or address this publicly and with UND being so quick to say "nothing to see here", the appearance is that BB is worried about self incriminating himself or his daughter and that UND employees are afraid to look like they were incompetent or out of control.  

People who still have questions aren't being unfair and they aren't conspiracy theorists.  The facts that we've been told don't align with BB pleading the 5th (for the lack of a better term), and this isn't the fault of Rob Port or fans who are still concerned about this. 

Also, people can rip Rob Port, but he reported on something that, according to Armacost, was an issue, and the publicity from his reporting is what spurred change.  Are people really criticizing him for going to print without the whole story when the parties involved were (and still are) unwilling to answer simple questions about their side of the story?

I actually agree with almost all of this. My point was that BB not addressing does not equate to it being swept under the rug. On the legal side of things, this is over.

But, they still haven't done much to address the public perception of it. I don't expect this to happen in a weekly presser, particularly given where the team is at right now. Over Christmas break would be a good time for them to handle it and be done with it. 

Blaming Port is a just people needing a scapegoat (though its up for debate on whether he intentionally didn't have the full story or not, or even tried for it). It should have been cleaned up 2 years ago. For sure, it was known by quite a few people over a month before it was made very public. I've heard where I think the blame for that should go, but doesn't really matter at this point anyway. There was plenty of time to clean it up, they didn't, they ended up having to deal with it because of that. 

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Also, people can rip Rob Port, but he reported on something that, according to Armacost, was an issue, and the publicity from his reporting is what spurred change.  Are people really criticizing him for going to print without the whole story when the parties involved were (and still are) unwilling to answer simple questions about their side of the story?

Is Port taking the criticism because he wrote about it when his peers are (pick your word: eerily, predictably, disappointingly) silent. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Agree.

For example, UND recently trademarked the 1950/60s logo with the "UND" arch above the two-crossing hockey sticks.  UND already had primary rights to that logo but they made the recent decision to trademark it, nonetheless.

Why did they take a different course of action with NODAK?

Sorry.  completely off topic... is this you? https://benthebaker.com/

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Is Port taking the criticism because he wrote about it when his peers are (pick your word: eerily, predictably, disappointingly) silent. 

Hes taking justified criticism because he's a ... who will write anything for clicks whether he has all thw facts or not... even if he does and DID have the facts  he will write anything he can if he can try to stick it to anything college athletics.

Journalist and Port are not compatible words.

Journalists passed on the story because it was and still is.... 

Nothing. 

Every authority you've cried to has now publicly told you this.

3 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Maybe Port scooped them all?:wink:

bahahahhahahaa... .....

No.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I have nothing but supposition to base this on but ... 
I strongly suspect the first ForumComm writer aware of the concern is not the first one to go to press with it. 

Correct but not for the reasons you think and hope are true.

• Upvote 1

Make your point without the profanity. Thanks. 

And what do you think I "hope" is true? That UND gets a black eye from a situation that just looks horrible? Well, that's what it got without my help and against my hopes. NODAK LLC took care of that. Even it's all 100% innocence and good-intentions, "oops, forgot to donate", I'd still like to hear that directly from the parties. 

One more thought: Port keeps being accused of giving an incomplete story. Well then scoop him. Someone please complete the story*. 

*Rather than some grand illustrious plan Port failed to report, I'd be more subscribed to a notion that a GenZer got "too clever by half" as the Brits would say. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Of course he is, brad schlossman will never write anything negative. he’s going to his fluff pieces his whole career.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

could the daughter have acted without fathers knowledge, and the lawyer is bound to confidentiality.  I watched LA Law for 20 minutes in the 90s...

I’m not a lawyer, but how do you maintain confidentiality on work that is all public record (forming LLC, registering TM). 

8 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Make your point without the profanity. Thanks. 

And what do you think I "hope" is true? That UND gets a black eye from a situation that just looks horrible? Well, that's what it got without my help and against my hopes. NODAK LLC took care of that. Even it's all 100% innocence and good-intentions, "oops, forgot to donate", I'd still like to hear that directly from the parties. 

One more thought: Port keeps being accused of giving an incomplete story. Well then scoop him. Someone please complete the story*. 

*Rather than some grand illustrious plan Port failed to report, I'd be more subscribed to a notion that a GenZer got "too clever by half" as the Brits would say. 

When it comes to Port profanity is an upgrade to the type of person he is ... to the core.

You should have investigated more of that before this got farmed to him.

His story was Incomplete yes but worse it was selectively incomplete.

and that's not journalism is sleezeballism... and for the record as a person he is a massive pathetic piece of...

wouldn't want to hurt your ears.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

When it comes to Port profanity is an upgrade to the type of person he is ... to the core.

and that's not journalism is sleezeballism... and for the record as a person he is a massive pathetic piece of...

So how do you really feel?

6 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

you have not convinced me much about Rob Port, but I do have insight into you at this point. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

It sounds like you hate him more as a person than as a reporter doing his job. Is his story incomplete, yes but that's due to Berry, his daughter and the school not wanting to answer simple questions. The local media has long protected the hockey program (how dare you question them) and the University has a lot of damage control from the past few years to smooth over yet. They don't want to add anything else to their plate.

9 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Attack? Interesting word choice.

The reaction to Port's reporting on a TM and who owned it was received as if it were by some quarters. Why? If it's all innocent and explainable why is no one at the microphone explaining what happened.