SiouxSports.com Forum

A Modest Proposal 2.0

The Sicatoka

FCS is becoming unpredictable in its operations. 

• Seven wins minimum is the criteria ... until it's not.  
  • Better bid is the criteria ... until it's not, ... unless you have a "name and reputation". 
  • Performance is the criteria ... < wait for it, it's coming > ... 
  • Now regionalization is being questioned by some of the names of FCS (see: Montana State coach recent comments regarding having to play Weber now). 

Dare I say FCS is becoming ... Division II all over again. 

The DI reformation committee is rumored to be strongly considering elimination of the "15,000 average attendance" for FBS. That is the only present FBS requirement UND does not meet. 

If UND will continually face "until it's not" FCS standards, why not go FBS. There it is "six wins" to be bowl eligible. Done. One objective criterion. 

Outlandish? You bet. 100%. Huge challenges? Yes. I'm off the rails? Yup. Haven't been on them in a while.

And I've made hundreds of arguments against FBS, and probably would here again, but I'm tossing the idea out just the same. 

In review,

• UND outbidding Weber and being sent on the road is right?
  • UND not getting in with seven and a six getting in instead? 
  • FCS not following their own bracketing criteria (Idaho is closer to Weber and those two did not play this regular season) this year is acceptable?
  • "Names" (see: Montana) getting home games as a "last in" or because "their QB was hurt" is sensible? 

It's crazy, full guano loco, but this time UND would lead. 

In closing and under the assumptions that (a) the "15k" rule goes away and (b) the FBS criteria do not become vastly more strenuous to meet, why not get out of FCS before it becomes more "stogies and scotch" in its operations than it already is. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

FCS is becoming unpredictable in its operations. 

• Seven wins minimum is the criteria ... until it's not.  
  • Better bid is the criteria ... until it's not, ... unless you have a "name and reputation". 
  • Performance is the criteria ... < wait for it, it's coming > ... 
  • Now regionalization is being questioned by some of the names of FCS (see: Montana State coach recent comments regarding having to play Weber now). 

Dare I say FCS is becoming ... Division II all over again. 

The DI reformation committee is rumored to be strongly considering elimination of the "15,000 average attendance" for FBS. That is the only present FBS requirement UND does not meet. 

If UND will continually face "until it's not" FCS standards, why not go FBS. There it is "six wins" to be bowl eligible. Done. One objective criterion. 

Outlandish? You bet. 100%. Huge challenges? Yes. I'm off the rails? Yup. Haven't been on them in a while.

And I've made hundreds of arguments against FBS, and probably would here again, but I'm tossing the idea out just the same. 

In review,

• UND outbidding Weber and being sent on the road is right?
  • UND not getting in with seven and a six getting in instead? 
  • FCS not following their own bracketing criteria (Idaho is closer to Weber and those two did not play this regular season) this year is acceptable?
  • "Names" (see: Montana) getting home games as a "last in" or because "their QB was hurt" is sensible? 

It's crazy, full guano loco, but this time UND would lead. 

In closing and under the assumptions that (a) the "15k" rule goes away and (b) the FBS criteria do not become vastly more strenuous to meet, why not get out of FCS before it becomes more "stogies and scotch" in its operations than it already is. 

Agreed, go FBS *if* the Alerus Center is ever considered an FBS venue. Or, otherwise, within the next 25-50 years, build a bigger Grand Forks city building for UND football or build a combined UND football/basketball indoor stadium/facility on campus (see former Carrier dome/JMA wireless dome in Syracuse: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JMA_Wireless_Dome). 

Going FBS would leave us with only one sport in which winning a national title is still possible. Except......

.....if the P5 conferences split off into their own subdivision and the G5 conferences are left to their own subdivision. The two are on different planets now and it is foolish to pretend they belong in the same subdivision.

Competing for a G5 Subdivision Championship would be possible for the top half of the MVFC and Big Sky and a few other programs in weaker FCS conferences.

But right now, moving up would not make sense.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The best option is a G5 combo with the top tier of FCS to create a playoff with 16 teams. That would be a true FCS. Not sure what to do with the teams that would get left behind, D2 football only?

This may be the route.  FBS is undergoing massive changes which of course will affect G5 and FCS football in a massive way.  NIL, the transfer portal and the incredible TV contract $ are going to likely leave 4 P5 conferences which will have even more massive resources than G5 and FCS.  Top FCS schools should go G5, including much of MVFC.

Be careful what we wish for’ look at the MAAC football scheduling

games on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday because of TV contracts

you think attendance is bad now

my conspiracy theory is the AC ad and Montana AD had something to do with our road trip last weekend.’

A wink wink, nod, nod deal as they want to both go fbs and will help each other to do it and &#33;@#&#036; on everyone else 

call me crazy but Montana should not be in the tourney 

• Like 2

Just now, Kab said:

my conspiracy theory is the AC ad and Montana AD had something to do with our road trip last weekend.’

A wink wink, nod, nod deal as they want to both go fbs and will help each other to do it and &#33;@#&#036; on everyone else 

your not crazy...they are for doing that and letting the bucknell &#33;@#&#33;&#036;&#33; spin it a certain way. journalism is dead

8 minutes ago, Kab said:

That was made Saturday no doubt.  Rest of the committee gave stamp of approval on Sunday.

3 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Let’s go FBS before NDSU

This would be so funny. In reality the best way to do it would be for a large upper midwest conference with the Dakota, Montana schools and whoever else to fill in. This assumes P5 goes off on their own which seems likely at some point.

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

That was made Saturday no doubt.  Rest of the committee gave stamp of approval on Sunday.

As most people know at any meetings more knowledge is exchanged in the hallways, bar rooms and bedrooms than in the meetings themselves.

if you don’t know that you may have attended the ac 

• Upvote 1

This is what i have been proposing for some time with the Big Sky and parts of the Missouri Valley conference forming FBS conference if it was done right it would be split into east and west divisions where they could have four team playoff at the end of the season to determine conference champ. This would make it possible for top teams also to be bowl eligible if they want. I also think if done right with the regional cable company this could become regional brand in football and would be of equal interest to large schools in the foot print of this conference. But this is going to take some leadership from some top shools in these conferences.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

MAAC: https://maacsports.com

MAC: https://getsomemaction.com

Not the same. 

And the Midcontinental Conference went by MCC. 

The Mid Con Conference is now the Summit. When the XDSU’s announced they were getting into an established conference it was still the Mid Con. They changed names the same year they became members.

You can’t give Weber a home game over a UND team that bid higher and say it’s due to performance, and then give 7-4 Montana a home game on ESPN2 despite being one of the last teams in the field and having a 4-4 conference record due to its higher bid over a SEMO team who had a 9-2 record, won its conference, and actually owned a ranked win. You can’t talk about cost-saving measures when you leave more than $80K on the table to give a team a home game because you felt they were more deserving. The lack of consistency and deciding at random when to use subjective criteria (like performance) over objective criteria (bids) is when people question the credibility of a bracket that already has its warts.

If you want further proof that the committee has typically leaned toward bid amounts and not athlete experience or who deserved a home game more, there have been multiple examples in the past of a team hosting first-round games and the visiting team’s locker room was a big tent outside for goodness sake. 

So some years you are ok with sticking a team in tents for a visiting locker room because the other team had a higher bid? But then this year you gave a team a home game based on performance and not the bid. But then this same year you gave one of the last teams in the field a home game because of their bid?

What are we doing here? 

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-push-playoff-structure-changes-bzbz/ 

Even Sam Herder sees the FCS clown show for what it is. (And he's not going to make friends with some calling FCS "niche". But it is, just like DI hockey.)

So why stay and be clowned. 

• Like 2

Another thorough lashing of the FCS process:

https://www.standard.net/sports/weber-state/2022/nov/29/bid-bewilderment-fcs-football-playoff-selection-hosting-process-needs-an-overhaul/ 

... it’s difficult to crow too much about the merits of the FCS playoffs over the FBS postseason because there’s too much caught in the translucent haze of how the whole thing comes together.

The "translucent haze" of a room filled with stogies ... and scotch. 

• Like 1

ADDENDUM to original posit:

For this (admittedly absurd) notion to work, every UND Football supporter has to contribute significantly fiscally to the effort. 

Every.
Supporter. 
Contribute.
Significantly.
Fiscally. 

There's no margin on that.
There's no magic pot of gold at UND for it. 
There's no "whatabout" whining about directed contributions going to other UND sports. 

It's how the xDSUs have done it: Private directed football donations

For that matter, that needs to happen to stay competitive in FCS.