SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

3 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

How does Tommy's performance say anything about Jerry? Friendly reminder to everybody, his obsession with Jerry stems from riding his bike by a random practice. 

his hudl, twitter, and other people that know some coaches.............and yes my few times i've biked by.

you guys have lost this "tommy is the guy"....stay in your lane.

9 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

his hudl, twitter, and other people that know some coaches.............and yes my few times i've biked by.

you guys have lost this "tommy is the guy"....stay in your lane.

I just don't understand why you think so little of Jerry's character then?

Give Feeney the Western Illinois game. See how he does. Give him some experience. I’m guessing all of our QBs can win that one, so it seems like little to no risk. Will it be a great assessment?  Probably not, but the experience would deepen the room soooo much. Keep NDSU guessing which QB we start on the 14th. 

QB is not our only problem…but it’s a place to start with a solution. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Give Feeney the Western Illinois game. See how he does. Give him some experience. I’m guessing all of our QBs can win that one, so it seems like little to no risk. Will it be a great assessment?  Probably not, but the experience would deepen the room soooo much. Keep NDSU guessing which QB we start on the 14th. 

Whoever starts against Western is starting against NDSU, barring injury or a complete and total collapse. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Dustin said:

qb is the most important position in football.......it shouldn't have come to this.

feeney or jerry should've started against drake to have a few games under their belts going into boise, sdsu, and ndac.

3 hours ago, UND Football Fan said:

I said earlier, let’s give Feeney a go for a series or so and have more design QB runs for him (or our most dynamic running/passing qb). From that teams will not be certain if it will be run or pass. Pretty safe to say when Q is in thought is inside run or over thrown pass. Danny uses the talents of our other skill guys, do it for QB. 

Some said Tommy plans on coming back. If so Feeney may go or more at that position. 

I am off the ledge from yesterday, the next few weeks will see (to me) how we can coach up and adjust what we do for the rest of the season.

Need to beat NDSU or 7-4 may not be enough depending on how conference plays out.

Wait Feeney isn’t really a running QB, is he? I know he had a rushing TD yesterday but I seem to remember talk of him having very little mobility. Could be wrong. 

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I agree with this. Heck even NDSU who had an established starter in Miller brings their 2nd guy in. Feeney deserves some real reps at a minimum.

11 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Wait Feeney isn’t really a running QB, is he? I know he had a rushing TD yesterday but I seem to remember talk of him having very little mobility. Could be wrong. 

I think he is faster than Tommy. I don't think he is considered a true running QB that would run 10 times a game, but you could see on his TD run.....he was patient and yet was then able to bolt through the hole. I don't think Tommy would have scored if he was in on that play. For one, they probably wouldn't have even called that play if Tommy was in. 

I don’t know, if it’s Feeney or Jerry (toward end of year not to burn red shirt) I like an idea of a running athletic QB that can give defenses fits or at least off balanced with QB run and still have our regular offensive schemes. Hopefully Feeney has some shiftiness like his dad did at SU.

I am not advocating a platoon system, just packages to utilize our talents (we do this with wr and rb’s,  I was just thinking if our staff can do this at QB. 

7 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

33 minutes ago, UND Football Fan said:

I don’t know, if it’s Feeney or Jerry (toward end of year not to burn red shirt) I like an idea of a running athletic QB that can give defenses fits or at least off balanced with QB run and still have our regular offensive schemes. Hopefully Feeney has some shiftiness like his dad did at SU.

I am not advocating a platoon system, just packages to utilize our talents (we do this with wr and rb’s,  I was just thinking if our staff can do this at QB. 

However, if this moves forward, between Q, Tommy, and Feeney/Jerry, you’ll have a platoon system that won’t improve anything. Still doesn’t solve the lack of a consistent running game. 

At some point, have to go with a different QB, commit to the run more, and better establish the line of scrimmage. Hard having a QB that can’t truly stretch the field on shots. I’m all in on stating that now with Tommy Schuster - he can’t air it out on shot  plays and it hurts the overall offense. 

I won't get any false hope next Saturday from beating down Western, but it's still possible to go 8-3 if we beat NDSU. If we can't beat NDSU at home I sure don't see us beating both USD or UNI on the road. Yes technically we can still go 9-2 but I don't see that happening. 

Yesterday I pretty much gave up on us making any type of deep playoff run, and even though this weekend was depressing and embarrassing, I'm still wanting a home playoff game and win. Either way though still feel that we have hit our ceiling unless some changes are made. 

USD beats NDSU, NDSU beat EWU fairly easily, and EWU was in the game against Idaho. We beat NAU easily and NAU beats Montana and almost Sac State.  Unless these are anomalies, the upper to mid part of Big Sky might not be as good as they thought they were going into the year 

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

How much do Kelly and Matt have to reserve their true feelings regarding the season/program because of Shannon?

Good ol’ boys club. UND won’t take the next step as a football program until the days of Roger Thomas/Dale Lennon/Bubba Schweigert are behind us. All great men / coaches, with tremendous legacy, but at some point, you have to move on. Change can be a good thing, especially when progress stops. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

He ran for 798yds and 18 TDs in high school. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Good ol’ boys club. UND won’t take the next step as a football program until the days of Roger Thomas/Dale Lennon/Bubba Schweigert are behind us. All great men / coaches, with tremendous legacy, but at some point, you have to move on. Change can be a good thing, especially when progress stops. 

Change is the worst according to @Mama Sue … pathetic 

“The only thing that stays the same is everything changes” … just that change occurs at a snail’s pace in some places. 

43 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Change is the worst according to @Mama Sue … pathetic 

“The only thing that stays the same is everything changes” … just that change occurs at a snail’s pace in some places. 

To clarify: my down vote was NOT change. It was your bad mouthing previous coaches. I would publicly thank Roger Thomas, Dale Lennon, and Bubba for what they have done for UND football. 
Now let it rest and focus on what positive changes can be made in the future, both this season and beyond.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

To clarify: my down vote was NOT change. It was your bad mouthing previous coaches. I would publicly thank Roger Thomas, Dale Lennon, and Bubba for what they have done for UND football. 
Now let it rest and focus on what positive changes can be made in the future, both this season and beyond.

Read the entirety of my post. Thanks.

24 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Attack of the clowns!!!   I think I've seen this movie.

Yeah, last couple ball games had quite a few clowns in it. Subpar product on the field, year after year after year, does this. Blaming the fans who want excellence seems petty, but you do you. 

• Like 2