SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

Decided to take a look at some of the numbers since everyone seems to be so concerned about our extra points.

Stevens is 74-76 97.3% on his career for XPs. That is the same career percentage as Adam Vinatieri and Mason Crosby (almost the same as Matt Prater 97.4%).

Last year in the NFL there were only 5 kickers who had a XP% higher than 97.3%. Just to put things into perspective, obviously nobody wants to see points left off the board but I think we need to put the pitchforks away and trust he gets it together. I’m confident he gets it back going this next Saturday and hoping to see some more success on his FG attempts as well.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, McBuckets said:

Decided to take a look at some of the numbers since everyone seems to be so concerned about our extra points.

Stevens is 74-76 97.3% on his career for XPs. That is the same career percentage as Adam Vinatieri and Mason Crosby (almost the same as Matt Prater 97.4%).

Last year in the NFL there were only 5 kickers who had a XP% higher than 97.3%. Just to put things into perspective, obviously nobody wants to see points left off the board but I think we need to put the pitchforks away and trust he gets it together. I’m confident he gets it back going this next Saturday and hoping to see some more success on his FG attempts as well.

That’s great and all but he also cannot be relied upon to kick a FG over 30 yards. Kicking is a liability 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

That’s great and all but he also cannot be relied upon to kick a FG over 30 yards. Kicking is a liability 

Yep. I'd like to see an analysis of his kicks over 40 yards. We barely even try them these days though becausewe are better off going for it on 4th down

3 hours ago, McBuckets said:

NFL xp is irrelevant after the distance change.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, McBuckets said:

I have faith 92 is going to put it between the uprights. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Yep. I'd like to see an analysis of his kicks over 40 yards. We barely even try them these days though becausewe are better off going for it on 4th down

I want our kickers to succeed, obviously.  But it feels like it's going to bite us again this year when we need a makeable kick to decide the game.  

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I think they are now 0-4 on 2 pt conversions.

Seems crazy.  Seems like our passing game is perfectly set up for short yard gains, plus our O-line has shown it can get a push for a couple yards at will, plus we have Quincy who always seems to get 2-3 yards when you only need 1.  Haven't seen many of the attempts, but I am guessing we are getting too cute in the play calling??

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If we’re 52 yards out would they even attempt it?

No. Career long is 42 yards.

Keep in mind, SDSU kickers career long is 45 yards, and NDSU kickers career long is 47 yards. Don't think many teams at this level are attempting 50+ yard field goals. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I can't wait until #92 wins us a game this year and all of you haters/doubters can eat crow

I would love to eat crow and hoping I do. Prior to this year he has been good on Extra points and FG's under 40 yards. But from over 40 he is 2-8, making a 41 and 42 yard FG's. Below are his stats from the last two seasons. I don't hate him, I just hate that we have a 25% percent on kicks over 40 yards. And of the 6 misses, some of them have been really really bad misses....not even close. I hope he drills a 49 yard FG sometime and gets some confidence in his long kicks.  On the bright side, he hasn't missed on FG's under 40 yards. 12-12 under 40 is obviously as good as you can get. 

Screenshot_20230925-092948.png

Screenshot_20230925-093119.png