SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

New rules for 2023: No clock stoppage after first downs. Some expect it will take seven plays out of the game. 

Why change something that wasn't broken, I don't get it.  Baseball needed shorter games.......football no. 

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Games have probably gotten longer because of the increase in pass heavy offenses. Just a guess.

Could limit what portion of each half where the first down stops the clock. Getting rid of it entirely is a bummer. 

20 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Could limit what portion of each half where the first down stops the clock. Getting rid of it entirely is a bummer. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/clocks-will-run-after-first-downs-in-college-football-with-ncaa-set-to-change-half-century-old-rule-friday/ 

The NCAA is expected to approve today rules changes proposed earlier this year that will allow the clock to run after first downs are achieved in all divisions except Division III, CBS Sports has learned. The clock will continue to stop after first downs during the final two minutes of each half. 

I find it interesting that DIII said "nyet" to this. 

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Does DIII review every 5th play?

Not saying this is the right way to shorten games but games at the Alerus and elsewhere were getting too long.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ND-fan said:

To get more casual fan of UND and people of North Dakota to take notice of the football program is for UND to beat NDSU

Amen.  There was a time that I didn't think this had to be the case, but I've been a firm believer for a while now.  Make it happen in '23, please, please, God!!

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I find it interesting that they said "all divisions except Division III" rather than "Divisions I and II", but I prefer simplicity.

6 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Why are you so butt hurt over GF being a hockey town? Football can still be huge in a hockey town. Minnesota is the "State of Hockey" and I think the Vikings are doing just fine. Different situations, I know!

Hockey may get more funding, but they also generate more income. Maybe I'm in the minority, but football's biggest holdback is football, not hockey. If football becomes dominant and still can't get some more traction, you may have a point, but I doubt that will be the case. You want more fans and more support from the community, Win! It’s that simple. 

“Butt hurt”? Vikings? Hockey town?
Dang you’re out in left field.

As a division I model, centering on hockey won’t work. University of Minnesota - the “state of hockey” flagship - still invests significantly more in football than hockey. UND athletics is a dysfunctional model held hostage by special interest donors. 

If UND ascends, it’s because football grows, not because anything better or different happens to ice hockey. 

• Like 1

There is absolutely no reason, in my mind anyway, that at a minimum we can't get back to the crowd size, interest, and passion in the community and state for UND football as we did in the early 2000's regardless of what hockey does.  Just win baby.......particularly beat SU....and it will start to come back.  We did it before, we can do it again.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

There is absolutely no reason, in my mind anyway, that at a minimum we can't get back to the crowd size, interest, and passion in the community and state for UND football as we did in the early 2000's regardless of what hockey does.  Just win baby.......particularly beat SU....and it will start to come back.  We did it before, we can do it again.  

I agree 100%

But increased funding will be needed, as FCS (and D-I in general) is much more expensive than D-II was. We must broaden our donor base beyond one wealthy heiress in Las Vegas. This will require a firm commitment from the top (President Armacost), along with the Alumni Association. The current D-II funding model is simply not cutting it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Sounds simple; just win. But a lot more goes on behind the scenes than “just win”. UND isn’t consistently beating NDSU until UND football is taken more seriously by its own athletic department, fans, and supporters.  UND-NDSU in the division I era has been completely one sided. The 2021 contest that was close on the scoreboard only showcased how inept the brain trust leading UND football right now is.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I agree 100%

But increased funding will be needed, as FCS (and D-I in general) is much more expensive than D-II was. We must broaden our donor base beyond one wealthy heiress in Las Vegas. This will require a firm commitment from the top (President Armacost), along with the Alumni Association. The current D-II funding model is simply not cutting it.

100% agree.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 4:48 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

“Butt hurt”? Vikings? Hockey town?
Dang you’re out in left field.

As a division I model, centering on hockey won’t work. University of Minnesota - the “state of hockey” flagship - still invests significantly more in football than hockey. UND athletics is a dysfunctional model held hostage by special interest donors. 

If UND ascends, it’s because football grows, not because anything better or different happens to ice hockey. 

You're missing the point.

If you want football to help grow the university, fine. But football gets in its own way with its consistency and on field performance. UND and Grand Forks include a ton of hockey fans (and football fans). You seem to want football only fans. Good luck changing everyone's minds. Again, Football's success or failures have nothing to do with hockey.

Sure, football could use some more fund. They could also be more successful and generate more income. Maybe I'm wrong, but after seeing so many of your posts, you come across as bitter that hockey does so well ... that's what happens when you recruit, win and build a sustainable program.

Now I absolutely love UND football too, and I'd like to see them have the same level of success as UND hockey or as what we have seen built in Fargo, but one sport has nothing to do with the other.

Comparing to the U is also ridiculous give the difference in money, attendance, location, tv deals, donors, etc.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

You seem to want football only fans.

I can explicitly tell you I do not want this; rather, just an emphasis on by far the most popular collegiate sport in this country. 

You can’t say you’re the flagship, but then only cater to a regional niche sport. The ignorance and lack of appropriate representation is appalling, actually. If you poll the entire state of North Dakota, football is more popular than hockey, hence NDSU’s recent rise in perception over the past 10-15 years. 

13 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Again, Football's success or failures have nothing to do with hockey.

I disagree. Hockey and football are interconnected, as both are ran by the same departmental leaders.

The dept. funding model emphasizes hockey, as do the people that make up the athletic department. Too many “hockey people” instead of “football people”. Too many people set in their ways, going about their daily business on autopilot, without stopping to consider the ramifications of their actions and whether or not a different direction would be better for the University and athletic department. You exemplified this with “GF is a hockey town” mantra.

There are also certainly external influences, namely special interest donors - albeit they do have a ton of funding power. 

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Comparing to the U is also ridiculous give the difference in money, attendance, location, tv deals, donors, etc.

Disagree if you’re referencing NDSU.

NDSU is the gold standard of FCS football. To not compare would be ignorant, and certainly not ridiculous. 

NDSU is 76 miles from UND. Big picture-wise, geographically speaking, they are largely one and the same.  Both NDUS institutions. Ran by the same NDUS umbrella. Both easily mistaken for each other by folks outside of North Dakota and the immediate region. Now, of course there are differences in objectives, goals, philosophy, donor base, etc., as you state, but in the context of FCS football in North Dakota, NDSU is absolutely the best comparison to UND. And to state it is ridiculous to compare the two is absolute ludicrous. 

If you’re referencing the University of Minnesota, then I do agree with you, as University of Minnesota does not have direct in-state competition like UND-NDSU.