SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS playoffs week 1: UND @ Weber State

UND-FB-FAN

2 minutes ago, MNHawk said:

We were fortunate to be within 7 points of Weber despite being gifted 7 points by the refs. I don’t know how you can say the result would have been different if this game was played at the Alerus. 

Sure, that’s true, but you’re going to have to play and win road games every season… need to do better on the road. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yep, defense is awful. Tells you where this team is at. Danny Freund is a UpToDate contemporary coach that can motivate his guys. Bubba, the ol’ game manger and former DC, is way out of bounds. Holinka is in over his head. The defensive staff is inbred and not with it. Either Bubba retires and Freund elevated to head coach and makes changes to the defense or Bubba makes some hard decisions and reshuffles the defensive staff. Also, defensive player skill level and strength needs to desperately improve. 

Agree about Danny and it appears Holinka and the 3-4 needs rethinking. Also, I have never seen a UND team tackle so poorly than this team.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dustin said:

I am not one to rag on coaches, but I’m ready for this, too. We wouldn’t have to be the cardiac kids if the D didn’t give up 30+ each game. 

I think a lot of people were thinking holinka was awesome last year.. he didn’t all of the sudden go to !@#$.. I personally thought the d-line was going to be good.. they seemed terrible this year.

I really wonder what happened.. scheme.. transfer portal.. what?   Our defense played with zero confidence or aggression 

What do you guys think? Defense in the same place as our offense was in Rudolph’s last year when we laid an egg to Northern Arizona as our o-coordinator? Do we get a new D coordinator with new ideas. 

Offense did fine, and we have several pieces returning. Defense was almost like it was under Mussman this season. Sometimes it looks like scheme, other times poor fundamentals. Hopefully transfer portal and in-coming freshman can add depth and talent to our defense.

6 minutes ago, MNHawk said:

When was the last time we beat a team as good as Weber? SDSU in the pandemic season? What if we exclude the pandemic

"As good as weber" lol

Is this like the argument when we beat all these highly ranked teams,

"but did that opponent finish the season as Champs?"

Just now, UND Football Fan said:

What do you guys think? Defense in the same place as our offense was in Rudolph’s last year when we laid an egg to Northern Arizona as our o-coordinator? Do we get a new D coordinator with new ideas. 

Offense did fine, and we have several pieces returning. Defense was almost like it was under Mussman this season. Sometimes it looks like scheme, other times poor fundamentals. Hopefully transfer portal and in-coming freshman can add depth and talent to our defense.

“Offense did fine”

I’m not sure I agree with this sentiment. The offense scored 17 points through three quarters (10 if you exclude the bad fumble call). That’s not good enough and I don’t think our performance should be considered good because we scored a couple of touchdowns against a prevent defense late. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, MNHawk said:

We were fortunate to be within 7 points of Weber despite being gifted 7 points by the refs. I don’t know how you can say the result would have been different if this game was played at the Alerus. 

Garet doesn't drop that TD pass for one. Tommy had one of his worst games of the season - he would have been better on home field.   

3 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

I think a lot of people were thinking holinka was awesome last year.. he didn’t all of the sudden go to !@#$.. I personally thought the d-line was going to be good.. they seemed terrible this year.

I really wonder what happened.. scheme.. transfer portal.. what?   Our defense played with zero confidence or aggression 

Holinka failed to maintain and coordinate a competent defense. The complaints need to start and end with him. Obviously the players weren’t good enough either, but there were enough upper class men that the scheme and motivation/leadership needs to be put under the microscope. Obviously the secondary - other than CJ Siegel - was poor all season. The front seven also lapsed as the season progressed, unfortunately. Not enough strength, and as @geaux_siouxsays, nastiness up front. 

1 minute ago, CMSioux said:

Garet doesn't drop that TD pass for one. Tommy had one of his worst games of the season - he would have been better on home field.   

I would believe in this argument more if I hadn’t watched this offense sleepwalk through half of the NDSU game too. Unfortunately it’s a bit harder to excuse two lackluster performances in the two biggest games of the year. 

• Upvote 2

Disappointing effort by the defense today.   Sounds crazy but I don’t think you fix it by DL, need to find a way to improve at OLB and safety.   #34 had a tough game today, safety’s had a tough game today and coaching staff has had a tough season.  

• Upvote 1

Last year it seemed Freund and Holinka were equally good choices for Bubba’s successor. It’s obviously not the case today. I’d like for Bubba to take the high road and resign before his contract is up. Hand the reins to Danny, and let him pick his DC. (Maybe it’s Holinka, but that choice wouldn’t get me excited for the defense to come on the field.  I think I’d question Danny’s judgment in that scenario as well.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MNHawk said:

“Offense did fine”

I’m not sure I agree with this sentiment. The offense scored 17 points through three quarters (10 if you exclude the bad fumble call). That’s not good enough and I don’t think our performance should be considered good because we scored a couple of touchdowns against a prevent defense late. 

I agree....but he also said 'fine', which fine is blah...and not great.  As I said in my post on one of his posts earlier....agreeing and saying...I think our offense is good.....but we need to improve when we play teams with speed like NDSU and Weber.  Remember Weber was giving up 18 points a game on average......so they are good.  Our offense is pretty good.....but still needs improvement.  We looked anemic on offense to start the game against NDSU and SDSU.  SDSU though....does have a good defense two....and we started out gangbusters against them.  Losing only 1 OL guy should help.......because as the OL goes.......  

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Holinka failed to maintain and coordinate a competent defense. The complaints need to start and end with him. Obviously the players weren’t good enough either, but there were enough upper class men that the scheme and motivation/leadership needs to be put under the microscope. Obviously the secondary - other than CJ Siegel - was poor all season. The front seven also lapsed as the season progressed, unfortunately. Not enough strength, and as @geaux_siouxsays, nastiness up front. 

I've often heard of the complexities of the UND Defense and the supposed inability for new guys to "get" it, but watching all games, it seems the basics of tackling and being in the right place is a good place to start and quit the complex crap.

Just noting that the best D player this year (IMO) Petigo was not out there today.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

"As good as weber" lol

Is this like the argument when we beat all these highly ranked teams but they don't finish the season as Champs?

Man, if you think it’s unfair to ask about our lack of wins against elite teams, then I don’t know what to tell you. I’m sick of losing to these teams every time out. 

12 minutes ago, MNHawk said:

One playoff win in 9 years. I guess we get to see if Chaves considers that acceptable. 

Not only will it be acceptable but he will get undoubtedly get a contract extension when it is up. No question about it.