SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS playoffs week 1: UND @ Weber State

UND-FB-FAN

4 minutes ago, MNHawk said:

Man, if you think it’s unfair to ask about our lack of wins against elite teams, then I don’t know what to tell you. I’m sick of losing to these teams every time out. 

I don't know what to tell you if you think we have a lack of wins against the type of team we just played.

3 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Not only will it be acceptable but he will get undoubtedly get a contract extension when it is up. No question about it.

I'm trying to be optimistic......and I don't think it will happen this time.  Unless we miraculously make a run to the semi's next year.....which won't happen with the current staff.  Take part of that 125k that we didn't have to spend on the playoff game......use as part of the buyout. 

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Holinka failed to maintain and coordinate a competent defense. The complaints need to start and end with him. Obviously the players weren’t good enough either, but there were enough upper class men that the scheme and motivation/leadership needs to be put under the microscope. Obviously the secondary - other than CJ Siegel - was poor all season. The front seven also lapsed as the season progressed, unfortunately. Not enough strength, and as @geaux_siouxsays, nastiness up front. 

The hardest part of all of this is that the players aren't good enough. It's that simple. I'm sure they are good kids but it's easy to see that we have smaller, slower and weaker players than the best teams at this level. I don't think it's a game plan problem, it's a recruiting and development problem. Too small and weak but we make up for it by being slow.

• Upvote 1

Made it to the REA late. All week really felt we lined up good against Weber. Tons of plays/calls in this game that could of went different.

They gave us/we hit them with the punchers chance.

This game in GF would of been a W. Our D definitely slipped this season, our O made a step up.

3 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

The hardest part of all of this is that the players aren't good enough. It's that simple. I'm sure they are good kids but it's easy to see that we have smaller, slower and weaker players than the best teams at this level. I don't think it's a game plan problem, it's a recruiting and development problem. Too small and weak but we make up for it by being slow.

Ok now that is funny!  :D

23 minutes ago, MNHawk said:

One playoff win in 9 years. I guess we get to see if Chaves considers that acceptable. 

10 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Not only will it be acceptable but he will get undoubtedly get a contract extension when it is up. No question about it.

I doubt Bill Chances will have to make that decision. I don’t think Bubba sees the end of his current contract. We’ll have see on what the reason is. 

19 minutes ago, MNHawk said:

“Offense did fine”

I’m not sure I agree with this sentiment. The offense scored 17 points through three quarters (10 if you exclude the bad fumble call). That’s not good enough and I don’t think our performance should be considered good because we scored a couple of touchdowns against a prevent defense late. 

true....and danny has those damn brain farts...3nd and 2 and really really need a first down..trickish play where you run q out and have him drop a touchy pass down the chinmeny to a rb that has how many catches this year?  so weird and odd...and we punted.

10 minutes ago, MNHawk said:

Maybe I am misremembering. I guess we return to my original question. When did we last beat that type of team?

You want me to do the research for you? Ok I will. Sure.

What fits your criteria? At the time of ranking? How far they went in the postseason? What "type of team" do you think Weber is? That's a low standard. Idk maybe you were really blown away by them today. 

You only get a chance to beat "that type of team" once, maybe twice a year.

Last year UND sucked.

The year before they beat the #1 team in the country according to Massey, SDSU.

Can't count that win tho according to your parameters.

The year before that they beat Montana State who finished as the 7th best.

31 minutes ago, shep said:

Agree about Danny and it appears Holinka and the 3-4 needs rethinking. Also, I have never seen a UND team tackle so poorly than this team.

I don't get changing from 3-4 to 4-3.   tackling yes.  But that has nothing to do with the formation.  Arm tackles don't work.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

true....and danny has those damn brain farts...3nd and 2 and really really need a first down..trickish play where you run q out and have him drop a touchy pass down the chinmeny to a rb that has how many catches this year?  so weird and odd...and we punted.

You play to win the game.   Q in.....almost never throws...defense is keyed in.....I'm sure Danny is thinking that RB will get two steps on the defender....and if their defender  did hesitate just a bit....Hoos woulda had two yards of separation....allow Q to not have to lead him quite so much.   Kudos to their defense for the discipline and being ready.....because if Hoos has two yards of separation on that one......and a good throw he would have taken that one to the house....and everyone is going....WOW Danny...great play.  It's a game of inches, and that one failed so it gets questioned......which I'm ok with.  But Danny took a shot....and it didn't work.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

If you clicked on the live stats link at fightinghawks.com, that site showed 44-31 as the final score.  Even AFTER the game finished.  Weird.

It was UND's own link, so I'll give Midco a pass.

Fair enough. Still weird. 

Just now, Sioux94 said:

You play to win the game.   Q in.....almost never throws...defense is keyed in.....I'm sure Danny is thinking that RB will get two steps on the defender....and if their defender  did hesitate just a bit....Hoos woulda had two yards of separation....allow Q to not have to lead him quite so much.   Kudos to their defense for the discipline and being ready.....because if Hoos has two yards of separation on that one......and a good throw he would have taken that one to the house....and everyone is going....WOW Danny...great play.  It's a game of inches, and that one failed so it gets questioned......which I'm ok with.  But Danny took a shot....and it didn't work.  

it was more the angle of the route AND hoos.....weird angle running to the sideline...q had a ton of time.....easier to has hoos turn it hard to the sideline and pickup the first down or cut to the middle of the field and go for the big hitter AND may use red or isaiah who i'm assuming have more catches than hoos has this year...it's the down the chimney throw your asking a cold qb to make that aint that easy.

4 minutes ago, Cratter said:

You want me to do the research for you? Ok I will. Sure.

What fits your criteria? At the time of ranking? How far they went in the postseason? What "type of team" do you think Weber is? That's a low standard. Idk maybe you were really blown away by them today. 

You only get a chance to beat "that type of team" once, maybe twice a year.

Last year UND sucked.

The year before they beat the #1 team in the country according to Massey, SDSU.

Can't count that win tho according to your parameters.

The year before that they beat Montana State who finished as the 7th best.

And people who poopoo the spring season....is because they sucked during that season or their team dropped out.  The big teams were still there in the end....SDSU, Sam Houston, NDSU, James Madison.  And let's be honest, SDSU rolls Sam Houston if their QB didn't do down in the 1st quarter.  Hell they almost won with a backup with no experience.  The Championship game probably isn't close if Gronowski played the whole game...woulda been a two score SDSU win.  We would have been the only team to beat SDSU all year that season.  That doesn't do sh*t for this year, but you can't just dismiss that win to fit a narrative.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

And people who poopoo the spring season....is because they sucked during that season or their team dropped out.  The big teams were still there in the end....SDSU, Sam Houston, NDSU, James Madison.  And let's be honest, SDSU rolls Sam Houston if their QB didn't do down in the 1st quarter.  Hell they almost won with a backup with no experience.  The Championship game probably isn't close if Gronowski played the whole game...woulda been a two score SDSU win.  We would have been the only team to beat SDSU all year that season.  That doesn't do sh*t for this year, but you can't just dismiss that win to fit a narrative.  

It’s a season with an asterisk for several reasons. 

- less teams participating 

-players opting out 

- games canceled 

Without that spring season, UND football has had an average at best last four seasons. Despite that, the head coach still received an extension? What the hell? 

• Like 1