SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS playoffs week 1: UND @ Weber State

UND-FB-FAN

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

it was more the angle of the route AND hoos.....weird angle running to the sideline...q had a ton of time.....easier to has hoos turn it hard to the sideline and pickup the first down or cut to the middle of the field and go for the big hitter AND may use red or isaiah who i'm assuming have more catches than hoos has this year...it's the down the chimney throw your asking a cold qb to make that aint that easy.

I thought that afterwards too...maybe use Smith in that scenario.  That said, what is supposed to sell it is that Hoos is a short yard type of back.  Also Hoos has has decent hands from what I've seen.  Hoos can't change his route in the middle of the play though, that would have really F'd everything up.  

Remember how Weber had their slow TE WIDE open on 4th and short and took it to the end zone?  That is how that play could have gone.....but credit Weber for great defense and their defender being all over Hoos forcing an absolute perfect throw.  

• Like 1

The offense in the first half was just as bad as the defense.. we were running the ball well and we kept trying to throw it.

the defense might play a bit better if the offense didn’t keep giving the ball right back.  We know the offense has been the better unit this year but they kept throwing the defense right back out on the field.  A couple of nice long drives by the offense on the first half would have helped those guys out as well.

4 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I thought that afterwards too...maybe use Smith in that scenario.  That said, what is supposed to sell it is that Hoos is a short yard type of back.  Also Hoos has has decent hands from what I've seen.  Hoos can't change his route in the middle of the play though, that would have really F'd everything up.  

Remember how Weber had their slow TE WIDE open on 4th and short and took it to the end zone?  That is how that play could have gone.....but credit Weber for great defense and their defender being all over Hoos forcing an absolute perfect throw.  

yeah kinda seems like we couldn't decide if we just wanted the first down or the home run hitter....even if he catches that throw he's probably tackled with a ten or 15 yard gain...

2 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

The offense in the first half was just as bad as the defense

I can accept a clunker half/game if it’s the exception rather than the rule. Defense was consistently missing tackles and giving up chunk yards all season. I never had confidence to expect a 3 and out from the D.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I can accept a clunker half/game if it’s the exception rather than the rule. Defense was consistently missing tackles and giving up chunk yards all season. I never had confidence to expect a 3 and out from the D.

I agree.. I also knew going into the game in order to win  that the offense had to maintain possession and help out the defense.. clearly we didn’t do that

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

Agree.  I think Weber is the better team, but I think maybe we create a few more breaks at home and have a better chance.   I will be cheering for Weber the rest of the way.  They are one of the Big Sky teams that I've never really hated.....just respected.  

Disagree.  We lost by 7, at home we win by 14.

• Upvote 2

I haven’t read anything since my very negative post before half time. I want to be consistent. Final score matters. It would be fake if I was overly upset having the ball with 2 minutes remaining with a chance to tie. Losing by 7 on the road. You can build off this. That being said there are absolute issues on defense that need to be addressed. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Going48 said:

Disagree.  We lost by 7, at home we win by 14.

Were you watching the game?  We couldn't stop them on defense.  They got conservative with their big lead.  I think we maybe could have won at home.....but I definitely would not say we were a lock to win by 14 at home.   Could it happen....yes.  But if we were playing at home....woulda been a one score game either way IMO.  

Let's not let the 7 point score fool ourselves, they dominated us.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

This kind of thinking is problematic. UND HC job can't be like grandma's China where someone just inherits it. Whenever Bubba leaves they need to look far and wide to find the best person to lead this program and hopefully inject some fresh ideas and vision. We've had the RT coaching tree for 35 years so next hire may be best coming from outside that, keeping some legacy guys as assistants. 

I am equally ok with this approach. I think we have enough of a good thing going that some personnel stability from one HC to the next is good. 

6 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Were you watching the game?  We couldn't stop them on defense.  They got conservative with their big lead.  I think we maybe could have won at home.....but I definitely would not say we were a lock to win by 14 at home.   Could it happen....yes.  But if we were playing at home....woulda been a one score game either way IMO.  

But we dominate at home.  Home field is huge.  We need to win road battles.

3 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I am equally ok with this approach. I think we have enough of a good thing going that some personnel stability from one HC to the next is good. 

The goal of every hire should be a program changing guy like Jay Hill or Troy Taylor. Eck is looking like one of those guys as well. I’m not sure that we have one of those within the program. 

2 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

But we dominate at home.  Home field is huge.  We need to win road battles.

We do play MUCH better at home.  But we literally only dominated Missouri State at home this year.  We did not dominate UNI, USD, or ACU....all were down to the wire.  None of those teams are as good as Weber.  SDSU dominated us at home.  

Last 3 playoff losses

gave up over 300 to Nicholls 

over 200 against James Madison

over 300 against Weber

Cannot go deeper without being better against run. Either scheme or recruit or position coach change. 

3rd down defense was poor all year. Not sure if it was talent, scheme or position coach.

I am certain or at least expect that there will be some type of changes for the next year. Offense controlling the ball was huge this year for helping our D. 

2 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

We do play MUCH better at home.  But we literally only dominated Missouri State at home this year.  We did not dominate UNI, USD, or ACU....all were down to the wire.  None of those teams are as good as Weber.  SDSU dominated us at home.  

The difference was NAU.  Best comparison.

3 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Frisco is SDSU vs NDSU

25 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

This kind of thinking is problematic. UND HC job can't be like grandma's China where someone just inherits it. Whenever Bubba leaves they need to look far and wide to find the best person to lead this program and hopefully inject some fresh ideas and vision. We've had the RT coaching tree for 35 years so next hire may be best coming from outside that, keeping some legacy guys as assistants. 

Hiring the best coach available make sense but for reference, name me the the last NDSU coach that didn't come from their own coaching tree?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

"We couldn't stop them on defense"? and I'm sure their "Webber94" was very satisfied with giving up 31 to a lowly MV team.  We didn't quit and until the last drive, they weren't that impressive on D either.