SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS playoffs week 1: UND @ Weber State

UND-FB-FAN

I’ll applaud the valiant effort of the second half. Ready for a change on defense, at least. Scoring 31 in a playoff game should be enough.  It was a problem all season. Our offense could overcome against lesser opponents, but not playoff caliber teams. 

• Like 1

Danny Freund and the offense is okay. Can perhaps win with it. But the defense - and even the special teams - is no where near championship caliber. Disappointing since UND is led by a defensive background head coach. If the correct changes aren’t made, including to both coaching and players, then this defense won’t get it done. Hit the transfer portal hard, and consider some defensive staff changes. Please, please, please. 

If this is at home, we win. No doubt. But it wasn't and we lost because we came out flat. Had a couple of missed big plays by key veterans that could have turned it. On to next season I guess. Will be interesting to see the “first off I want to thank the University of North Dakota but having said that I will be entering the transfer portal” tweets the coming days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Danny Freund and the offense is okay. Can perhaps win with it. But the defense - and even the special teams - is no where near championship caliber. Disappointing since UND is led by a defensive background head coach. If the correct changes aren’t made, including both coaches and players, then this defense won’t get it done. Hit the transfer portal hard, and consider some defensive staff changes. Please, please, please. 

I feel like this season proved we can certainly win with it. The offense overcame our brutal D all year. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Danny Freund and the offense is okay. Can perhaps win with it. But the defense - and even the special teams - is no where near champion caliber. Disappointing since UND is led by a defensive background head coach. If the correct changes aren’t made, including both coaches and players, then this defense won’t get it done. Hit the transfer portal hard, and consider some defensive staff changes. Please, please, please. 

Would agree on offense, we are good.....but still room for improvement.  Weber and NDSU made us look pretty poor for large chunks of the game on the road.  Definitely a good foundation on offense, but need a little more production in the first half against teams like NDSU and Weber who have speed.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

If this is at home, we win. No doubt. But it wasn't and we lost because we came out flat. Had a couple of missed big plays by key veterans that could have turned it. On to next season I guess. Will be interesting to see the “first off I want to thank the University of North Dakota but having said that I will be entering the transfer portal” tweets the coming days. 

I wouldn’t say no doubt we win at home. We still wouldn’t have stopped them.

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Truth. Offense is the shining star of the squad. Just think where we could be with some complimentary defensive.

Yep, defense is awful. Tells you where this program is at. Danny Freund is an Up-To-Date contemporary coach that can motivate his guys. Bubba, the ol’ game manger and former DC, is way out of bounds. Holinka is in over his head. The defensive staff is inbred and not with it. Either Bubba retires and Freund elevates to head coach and makes changes to the defense, or Bubba makes some hard decisions and reshuffles the defensive staff. Also, defensive player skill level and strength needs to desperately improve.  Bottom line, need new blood on defense, both coaches and players.

Just now, F'n Hawks said:

I wouldn’t say no doubt we win at home. We still wouldn’t have stopped them.

Agree.  I think Weber is the better team, but I think maybe we create a few more breaks at home and have a better chance.   I will be cheering for Weber the rest of the way.  They are one of the Big Sky teams that I've never really hated.....just respected.  

• Upvote 1

in looking at the game notes 15 of the 22 on the defensive 2-deep list are junior/senior/grad students.  Considering how they played it can be assumed that the sophomores and lower weren't able to supplant many of them.  For those of you who know football better than me, how do you fix this defense?  Also, should discussion about the incoming freshmen class be in a separate thread?  I would like to know who, other than Caden Dennis, shows promise amongst the incoming freshmen.