SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 ND High School Hockey

Upcoming week as we wind down to the WDA and EDC tournaments.  

BOYS:

Tuesday night: GFC v North, RR v Davies and BHS v CHS, Jamestown at Mandan (huge for 4/5 seed race possible round 1 WDA match up). 

Thursday: Assuming Minot takes care of business against Willy on Tuesday, Legacy hosts Minot with the one seed on the line and RR gets to travel to the goat arena in Roseau for a tilt. 

Saturday: Mandan hosts Minot which is big for both teams for seeding. 

GIRLS:

The stretch run for the Girls is nuts.  I watched a L/B team fighting for the 8 seed beat GF 1-0 (once again that GF goalie is real smooth) and play the top seed north 2-3 in a racehorse game on a quick turnaround (I think shots were 48-36 or something it was fun to watch especially period 3).  One of the top seeds Mandan needed an empty netter to beat Williston yesterday who is also fighting for a state berth....The girls state tournament will truly be a toss up.  Williston, GF, CHS, LHS/BHS battling for that 6-7-8 spot (it seems at least but you never know).  On paper it seems like Williston has the toughest schedule left.  Some huge games this week:

Tuesday: 2 Bismarck teams square off.  CHS took the first one 3-1 (PPG, SHG + ENG).  

Friday: GF at CHS.  Huge game with 6 points on the line.  

Williston has 2 tough ones at North/South and at WF.   

• Upvote 2

That Central-North game on Tuesday should be a dandy.  Two hard working/physical teams with a ton to play for.  Central is playing so much better after a rough start to their season.  North with a huge win over a good South/Shanley team Friday that secured a home playoff game for them.  

3 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Jamestown and Century played back to back games Thursday and Friday. Thursday’s game went to Century in a shootout and Jamestown won Friday 4-3. Both very entertaining physical games. West Region will be fun too much like the East Region playoffs 

If it’s JT and Mandan round 1 at WDA like it appears it might be that will be a fun one.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Shaugabay committed anywhere yet?  That team has some serious size too. Looks like basketball team on ice

Saw them play the Spuds last Saturday. Big fast and skilled. Fun to watch.

On 2/4/2023 at 5:07 PM, Wilbur said:

Being able to have a Warroad on your non conference schedule is huge.  Central getting to play two quality Section 8A teams back to back is a great test before tournament time. 

This is a big part of the argument of getting away with the required home and away in the EDC. Go to an independent schedule and let teams schedule the best games for their teams. MN has been doing it for years, I would think we could figure it out too.

5 minutes ago, PuckLuck said:

This is a big part of the argument of getting away with the required home and away in the EDC. Go to an independent schedule and let teams schedule the best games for their teams. MN has been doing it for years, I would think we could figure it out too.

Agreed. East schools want to play mn schools and too west

a team like grafton should be playing hallock bagley etc 

3 hours ago, PuckLuck said:

Independent schedule as in? Fully Independent? 

That ends ND high school hockey, immediately.

Small schools go to a club world or just fold. Large towns just turn into Tier 1/AAA/Club U18 programs. 

That's a world that's interesting to think about.

Northstar, Sioux Falls Power, Jr Force, THA, An Academy in Bismarck maybe Minot JR Tauros? or tied into a Canadian league somehow?

Better for development but expensive and un-inclusive.

Who knows kinda of a neat convo for the next 30 rack lobby show I guess.

But I'm guessing you mean more of either a hybrid 6 point game allowance even against teams with full EDC/WDA membership or more practically a 2 tiered system for ND high school hockey.

I have not, do not, and will not believe the current structure is in anyone's best interest. 

Certainly not the kid's.

The problem with letting teams go independent on their schedules is programs in the west would really struggle with game scheduling.  The way it is now Williston brings down Notre Dame Academy for two games to open their season in part to fill their schedule because nobody in the east other than Mayport will schedule them. Dickinson dives down into South Dakota to play club teams, Hazen schedules junior gold games.  Just not a lot of teams in their vicinity. 

You take away the Minots and the Jamestown/Bismarcks from those teams and you've got a scheduling issue.  I think it was last year Williston couldn't get Notre Dame across the border and the games they got were in International Falls Minnesota to replace them.  Do the math on that 540 plus mile bus trip.

Now if I was a Red River or Central fan I'd say bring on independent schedules so they could play all sorts of Minnesota teams each year.  Heck, they probably would let them into the Mariucci conference in Minnesota.  Would be the end of the GPR-GFRR/GFC games outside of the EDC tournament.  

17 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Independent schedule as in? Fully Independent? 

That ends ND high school hockey, immediately.

Small schools go to a club world or just fold. Large towns just turn into Tier 1/AAA/Club U18 programs. 

That's a world that's interesting to think about.

Northstar, Sioux Falls Power, Jr Force, THA, An Academy in Bismarck maybe Minot JR Tauros? or tied into a Canadian league somehow?

Better for development but expensive and un-inclusive.

Who knows kinda of a neat convo for the next 30 rack lobby show I guess.

But I'm guessing you mean more of either a hybrid 6 point game allowance even against teams with full EDC/WDA membership or more practically a 2 tiered system for ND high school hockey.

I have not, do not, and will not believe the current structure is in anyone's best interest. 

Certainly not the kid's.

Yes, a hybrid is what I meant. Correct me if I'm wrong. In MN you are required to play those in your conference at least once a year, which is around 6-7 teams. After that, they can schedule whoever they want. At the end of the season the coaches in each section get together and decide their seeding based on schedule and results. Is it possible that the EDC could adopt something similar and the WDA continues doing what they've always done? I definitely don't want to see the HS league go away. We are very fortunate to have it.  

Yeah the "conference" thing in MN is odd.  Take Section 8...KCC, RLF, Bagley, and LOW are a "conference" but play in Section 8.  Warroad, EGF, TRF and Crookston in a Conference with Roseau, Bemidji, Moorhead and some AA teams but also play Section 8A.  

KCC, RLF then don't play Warroad regular season but turn around and play same Section come playoffs for the early exit.    

Never really understood the conference thing it's kind of old school before all the Sections I believe.   

---

Not sure how to handle ND the best.  Pulling the Junior Golds up would be ideal for both boys and girls to make some sort of Tier 2 system.  Then who knows how to split them from there.  Let's be honest the suits in the NDHSAA don't really care about the sport all that much to begin with so I doubt changes will be coming anytime soon.  Going to be interesting to see the  most recent change - moving girls state to minot - and see what kind of ghost town atmosphere they created with that.  No offense to Minot or the facility, but it's going to be bizarrely empty.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

Yeah the "conference" thing in MN is odd.  Take Section 8...KCC, RLF, Bagley, and LOW are a "conference" but play in Section 8.  Warroad, EGF, TRF and Crookston in a Conference with Roseau, Bemidji, Moorhead and some AA teams but also play Section 8A.  

KCC, RLF then don't play Warroad regular season but turn around and play same Section come playoffs for the early exit.    

Never really understood the conference thing it's kind of old school before all the Sections I believe.   

---

Not sure how to handle ND the best.  Pulling the Junior Golds up would be ideal for both boys and girls to make some sort of Tier 2 system.  Then who knows how to split them from there.  Let's be honest the suits in the NDHSAA don't really care about the sport all that much to begin with so I doubt changes will be coming anytime soon.  Going to be interesting to see the  most recent change - moving girls state to minot - and see what kind of ghost town atmosphere they created with that.  No offense to Minot or the facility, but it's going to be bizarrely empty.  

Not a fan of the girls having a separate state from the boys. My first year coaching the jays girls in 09/10’ season we played Fargo North in opening round. A team that beat us 11-3 and 9-1 in regular season. We lost to them in overtime. The Olympic rink at the Ralph was packed to the roof rooting for us underdogs. Definitely won’t see that in Minot 

17 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Not a fan of the girls having a separate state from the boys. My first year coaching the jays girls in 09/10’ season we played Fargo North in opening round. A team that beat us 11-3 and 9-1 in regular season. We lost to them in overtime. The Olympic rink at the Ralph was packed to the roof rooting for us underdogs. Definitely won’t see that in Minot 

I was at a HS coach's meeting years ago where the coach of the Grand Forks girls team (forget his name) told the NDHSAA rep that he wanted to keep the girls in the Olympic rink because of the atmosphere.