SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 ND High School Hockey

1 hour ago, sioux rube said:

Not a fan of the girls having a separate state from the boys. My first year coaching the jays girls in 09/10’ season we played Fargo North in opening round. A team that beat us 11-3 and 9-1 in regular season. We lost to them in overtime. The Olympic rink at the Ralph was packed to the roof rooting for us underdogs. Definitely won’t see that in Minot 

What does the Olympic rink at the Ralph seat?  I think the Pepsi Center at the MAYSA holds 1800. I think it’s worth a try to separate the tournaments. If it doesn’t work out hopefully the NDHSAA has the sense to return the tournament to the old format. 

2 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

What does the Olympic rink at the Ralph seat?  I think the Pepsi Center at the MAYSA holds 1800. I think it’s worth a try to separate the tournaments. If it doesn’t work out hopefully the NDHSAA has the sense to return the tournament to the old format. 

No idea what it seats but it’s not 1800. Not close. The thing is when they are together you get casual fans who probably have never seen a girls game more than likely will when the boys games are between periods or waiting for another game to start. Johnny Five will be in Minot and I’m sure he will report back here how the atmosphere was in Minot 

• Upvote 1

I think the best thing about the combined tournaments being in Scheels/FU is the crossover you get between games and even period breaks during the zam.  There will be absolutely none of that in Minot.  The other major issue is the Girls tournament will be the same weekend as WDA boys and girls hoops, which is a massive draw in Bismarck.  Once again, Minot will run a top notch tournament, but the draw and the atmosphere will be something else.   

3 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

Yeah the "conference" thing in MN is odd.  Take Section 8...KCC, RLF, Bagley, and LOW are a "conference" but play in Section 8.  Warroad, EGF, TRF and Crookston in a Conference with Roseau, Bemidji, Moorhead and some AA teams but also play Section 8A.  

KCC, RLF then don't play Warroad regular season but turn around and play same Section come playoffs for the early exit.    

Never really understood the conference thing it's kind of old school before all the Sections I believe.   

---

Not sure how to handle ND the best.  Pulling the Junior Golds up would be ideal for both boys and girls to make some sort of Tier 2 system.  Then who knows how to split them from there.  Let's be honest the suits in the NDHSAA don't really care about the sport all that much to begin with so I doubt changes will be coming anytime soon.  Going to be interesting to see the  most recent change - moving girls state to minot - and see what kind of ghost town atmosphere they created with that.  No offense to Minot or the facility, but it's going to be bizarrely empty.  

This ensures they have some of the competition through the year and win a few games. But once tourney time gets there only the strong will survive

each section wants their best team to have best chance in win jng

EDC Tournament:

#1 RR vs. Mayport/Grafton/Devils Lake

#4 North vs. Sheyenne

#2 South vs. West Fargo/Devils Lake/Grafton

#3 Central vs. #6 Davies

Should be one heck of an EDC tournament.  The only two teams that can feel kind of safe the first round are Red River and South.  After that its anyone's guess.  

9 hours ago, NCsiouxfan1733 said:

Well GF girls with a decent win against a 2 win Devils Lake Tonight at home 5-4, devils lake scored 3 unanswered to tie it at 4-4 in third, only to let GF score forty seconds after to take the win. GF was way to careless with the puck, when they really coulda put this one to bed early. 

Can’t let off for a second when Abrahamson is on the ice.  She’s got 6 goals and an assist this week against EGF and GF.  

L/B beat CHS 3-1.  L/B tendy made some game savers.  Tied season series.  As I mentioned Earlier GF and CHS play a huge 6 pointer on Friday.  The standing shows points won, but what it doesn’t show is points missed and GF has 24 while CHS has 28 so far on the season.  That’s a big game Friday.  Mandan and Minot in a dog fight for the 3 seed both picked up wins.  Looks like Jamestown made Mandan work for it as they typically do.  

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

EDC Tournament:

#4 North vs. Sheyenne

#3 Central vs. #6 Davies

Should be one heck of an EDC tournament.  The only two teams that can feel kind of safe the first round are Red River and South.  After that its anyone's guess.  

A couple good first round matchups and also round 2 and state qualifiers will be awesome to watch.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Wilbur said:

EDC Tournament:

#4 North vs. Sheyenne

#3 Central vs. #6 Davies

dumb question... where is EDC and State this year?

47 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

Kinda odd that WDA and EDC have different formats in that regard.  But WDA ADs will go with "travel" as an excuse. 

I’d love to see the west do what the east does. Just another incentive to get in the top 4 of the region 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, sioux rube said:

I’d love to see the west do what the east does. Just another incentive to get in the top 4 of the region 

I really think Saturday at the EDC tournament sees a better level of play due to the first games being held on Tuesday.  Three games in three days is tough on the body.  Giving the teams two days to catch their breath before the Friday and Saturday grind at Purpur makes sense to me.   

• Upvote 2

I dream of the day when a goalie knows it's coming and goes pipe-to-pipe with the ol' blocker and battle axe combo at the right plane to both knock the puck away and have the paddle/blade waiting for the shooter's face. Get blasted onto your back like that once will you try it again. 

Yes, I just did advocate a goalie potentially taking a high-sticking penalty. 

• Upvote 2