SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 ND High School Hockey

2 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

In the Capital City, Vig 1 tendered to the NAHL - OKC.  He would've been in the running for SR athlete of the year too.  CHS lost another D to some AAA program.  They are returning a great batch of forwards and their goalie from last year but pretty much lost every single D minute.  BHS - Bantam AA goalie didn't set foot on the ice he's off to Sioux Falls Power.  LHS lost their top D to Northstar.  Heard Minot's coach is sending his kid to SSM.  DL kid headed to North Star, and I'm sure there's plenty more.  

There's girls leaving the state as well.  

Maybe a AAA academy like Northstar would at least keep kids in the borders a bit more?  

I know this isn't just a ND issue and there's kids/families that leave everywhere, including MN.  Just a summertime discussion point.  Once again, won't rip anyone who chooses to do what they feel is best.

Had a kid here who left for Sioux Falls Power 4 years ago when he was a freshman in high school. Came back his senior year and of course wasn’t eligible to play because he left so he watched instead of played his senior year. Now he’s off to basic training to become a marine. He said he would of stayed here had he had to do it over 

6 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Had a kid here who left for Sioux Falls Power 4 years ago when he was a freshman in high school. Came back his senior year and of course wasn’t eligible to play because he left so he watched instead of played his senior year. Now he’s off to basic training to become a marine. He said he would of stayed here had he had to do it over 

Out west, what school?

Aberdeen Wings Main Camp happening in West Fargo this weekend.  Quite a few North Dakota kids out there trying out.  Olsonawski looked sharp in a few of the moments I watched.  Dane Jackson's kid with a good chance to make their team as well.

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Aberdeen Wings Main Camp happening in West Fargo this weekend.  Quite a few North Dakota kids out there trying out.  Olsonawski looked sharp in a few of the moments I watched.  Dane Jackson's kid with a good chance to make their team as well.

Kid from here got invited to Minot Tauros tryout camp. Love the kid as I coached him in peewee for 2 years and he knows he doesn’t have a chance in hell but he has the right attitude. He said it will be a great experience. That’s the glass half full 

Any idea how many get invited to these camps?

20 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Kid from here got invited to Minot Tauros tryout camp. Love the kid as I coached him in peewee for 2 years and he knows he doesn’t have a chance in hell but he has the right attitude. He said it will be a great experience. That’s the glass half full 

There was at least 160 at Aberdeen camp. 

Interesting note.  Aberdeen's goalie coach is Matt Dumba's brother.  

On 7/7/2023 at 10:36 PM, sioux rube said:

NAHL camps are the stuff of dreams for the organizations bottom line.

So many kids invited in so may different ways.

Families could (and have) spend o er $5-6K easy just this summer chasing NAHL chances.. which is zero for 99.9% of the player's still in HS.

Northstar is basically NorthDakotaAllStars (who can foot the bill) at this point.

• Upvote 2

On 7/12/2023 at 4:07 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

NAHL camps are the stuff of dreams for the organizations bottom line.

So many kids invited in so may different ways.

Families could (and have) spend o er $5-6K easy just this summer chasing NAHL chances.. which is zero for 99.9% of the player's still in HS.

Northstar is basically NorthDakotaAllStars (who can foot the bill) at this point.

32 grand or something like that to make your young hockey player into a better play.....I meant a more spiritual young man. 

Heard a rumor from a friend from Alexandria that they've had issues with kids being dicks to billet families.  

On 7/13/2023 at 7:42 PM, Wilbur said:

32 grand or something like that to make your young hockey player into a better play.....I meant a more spiritual young man. 

Heard a rumor from a friend from Alexandria that they've had issues with kids being dicks to billet families.  

https://www.therinklive.com/high-school/minnesota-hockey/minnesota-boys/complaint-alleges-misconduct-mismanagement-at-minnesota-hockey-school?fbclid=IwAR1bgGG4rF8ehJl4qNcRkgx_AqqEtZARDsrENjUA_bX6rWdDptmNppUUdoA

The soap opera at Northstar is more WTF? with each person I have talked to about it. 

But it can't all be terrible as they have retained some kids, others left for greener pasture$.

Not sure I even fully understand what happened but it seems the dust is settling....

Either way they've basically backed up their Brinks truck to the NDHSAA loading dock at this point.

On 7/12/2023 at 4:52 PM, Speez said:

Fargo Force had a money maker earlier with guys from all around the country for their camp. 

On 7/12/2023 at 4:15 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Hotels and restaurants, too.  So easy to be cynical about the whole thing.

It is and it's easy to fall into the trap of FOMO.  

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

In the EDC, the likely starters in the net for Fargo Davies and West Fargo High School are both taking their talents elsewhere.  Davies kid headed to Northstar, WF Packer headed to Sioux Falls Power.

What would have been the starting goalie for Bismarck Demons also departed for Sioux Falls Power Program.

That's 4 kids from Bismarck schools that have now left this year,

So far.......... 

2 CHS - 1 Legacy - 1 BHS.

8 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

What would have been the starting goalie for Bismarck Demons also departed for Sioux Falls Power Program.

That's 4 kids from Bismarck schools that have now left this year,

So far.......... 

2 CHS - 1 Legacy - 1 BHS.

The Legacy kid headed to Northstar is a great hockey player.  Probably the best defenseman in the state had he stayed.  He would have played a ton of minutes for Mario.  Wondering if Marcus Butts is sticking around for another year?  

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

The Legacy kid headed to Northstar is a great hockey player.  Probably the best defenseman in the state had he stayed.  He would have played a ton of minutes for Mario.  Wondering if Marcus Butts is sticking around for another year?  

Butts won't be leaving is my guess. He's a hell of a baseball player too,  and "Legacy" is important.

I'm of the opinion that even if your a high end kid, unless your leaving for big minutes in the NAHL or USHL.. stay home.

Play Team ND in the MN leagues,  then play for your school with your friends and family watching. Then play the spring leagues and do the summer Jr. camp trail. 

Kids parents only have so much time together, tough to give up that precious time chasing a dream with, in reality, a low percentage chance of success.

• Upvote 4

But ... to your point yes those Legacy kids you mentioned are all very good hockey players... might just be top 3 on my preseason picks... #1 WDA for sure.

If only.... before Legacy... this is the year the Century/Legacy team would have been ridiculously stacked.

11 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Butts won't be leaving is my guess. He's a hell of a baseball player too,  and "Legacy" is important.

I'm of the opinion that even if your a high end kid, unless your leaving for big minutes in the NAHL or USHL.. stay home.

Play Team ND in the MN leagues,  then play for your school with your friends and family watching. Then play the spring leagues and do the summer Jr. camp trail. 

Kids parents only have so much time together, tough to give up that precious time chasing a dream with, in reality, a low percentage chance of success.

Agree with this take on leaving early. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Having just gone through this with my oldest son, this is absolutely correct.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

WIse observation, regardless of the chance of success.