SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 ND High School Hockey

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I dream of the day when a goalie knows it's coming and goes pipe-to-pipe with the ol' blocker and battle axe combo at the right plane to both knock the puck away and have the paddle/blade waiting for the shooter's face. Get blasted onto your back like that once will you try it again. 

Yes, I just did advocate a goalie potentially taking a high-sticking penalty. 

Minot kid tried it last night too.  Legacy goalie read it right into his glove and it looked like there were some words exchanged. 

I know the rule is normally interpreted to mean picked up with a hand, but aren't you using a stick to pick up a puck? 

71.1 Player Handling the Puck - A player shall be permitted to catch the puck out of the air but must immediately place it or knock it down to the ice. A player shall not catch the puck and skate with it, in order to conceal the puck or gain a territorial advantage over an opponent. Additionally, a player may not throw the puck. A puck that is on the ice shall not be picked up by any skater. 

Tell me that Mike Legg did not "pick up" that first puck. 

The first "orange armband" to interpret it my way will probably waive off a visitor goal in Magness tonight. :glare:

2 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

It isn't ND but gotta give some props to my alma mater Red Lake Falls picking up what is believed to be the first win in hockey program history over Thief River Falls 4-1 last night 

Years ago when I was coaching in Wahpeton I got to visit old Cardin-Hunt arena for a few seasons.  Lowest ceiling in an arena I've ever seen.  But pretty good atmosphere.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Years ago when I was coaching in Wahpeton I got to visit old Cardin-Hunt arena for a few seasons.  Lowest ceiling in an arena I've ever seen.  But pretty good atmosphere.  

It was always the easy need a whistle play. Gets cold in there especially if you get the pleasure of a 6AM practice with frost still on the glass but great hard ice and when the place gets rocking it is awesome. I remember playing Park Rapids at home when the Lehrke that went to Mankato was a SR and they were a top 10 team with and may have been undefeated at the time and we jumped out to a 3-1 lead and they took timeout and the place was electric with people constantly pounding on the walls the entire timeout you couldn't hear anything a coach was saying.

9 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

WDA is set.  Obviously the product isn’t what the EDC is however it’ll be a great tournament. Jamestown Mandan game should be a dandy.

Minot v Willy Bottineau winner

jamestown v Mandan

legacy v bis Hazen winner

chs v Dickinson 

Not the level of hockey, but important for the state tournament nonetheless.  The top two seeds coming out of the west have a punchers chance in their first game at the state tournament.  If those top two seeds are Minot/Century/Legacy/Jamestown there is a chance, but if you have an upset or two and a Bismarck High ends up as a 1 or 2 seed than there just isn't a chance.

EDC Tournament Predictions
1. RR
2. Central
3. South
4. North

WDA Predictions
1. Minot
2. Legacy
3. Century
4. Jamestown

23 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Not the level of hockey, but important for the state tournament nonetheless.  The top two seeds coming out of the west have a punchers chance in their first game at the state tournament.  If those top two seeds are Minot/Century/Legacy/Jamestown there is a chance, but if you have an upset or two and a Bismarck High ends up as a 1 or 2 seed than there just isn't a chance.

EDC Tournament Predictions
1. RR
2. Central
3. South
4. North

WDA Predictions
1. Minot
2. Legacy
3. Century
4. Jamestown

Jamestown got pounded by North Thursday and they had been playing really well going into that game. I hope I’m wrong but I see a clean sweep from the East once again 

6 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Jamestown got pounded by North Thursday and they had been playing really well going into that game. I hope I’m wrong but I see a clean sweep from the East once again 

I see it as well.  West teams need goaltender to be first star. 

WDA play ins tonight.  Hazen at BHS, Bott at Willy. 

Girls hockey: GF, Williston, LHS/BHS and CHS are gonna go to the the wire fighting for 6-7-8 seeds.  GF sitting in 6 but they only have 2 games left and that's West Fargo and Davies...not sure if they'll get either of those unless their goalie goes wild.  

Big tilt on Tuesday night as L/B heads to Williston.  Williston up 1 point in the standings but has "missed" 30 points so far on the season while L/B has "missed" 25.  This is a huge game for the stretch run.  Willy, LB and CHS all have 3 games on the week (CHS has DL in a 6 pointer this weekend), GF only has one this week v WF.  This could very well come down to the last game of the season into next week.  

37 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Off topic a bit but why is MayPort in the East Region if they don't play any regular season games but are in the post season tournament? 

The bigger schools don’t want to schedule them to pound them in to the sand every game

however I could see them getting in the rotation sooner then later and. 6 point game

On 2/10/2023 at 10:02 AM, siouxweet said:

This used to be pretty cool before every kid in hockey is now trying to do it.

Had this move pulled off in a tournament our association hosted this weekend by a local kid.  Pee Wee B.

I remember coaching a Squirt A game in 2013 where one of our players tried it when he could have made simple a pass to open teammate for a point blank SOG.  I wasn't very happy, but looking back on it you have to balance allowing these kids to be creative with being an unselfish player and making the right play.  It's all in the eye of the beholder though.  Is a kid that has a shoot first mentality a selfish puck hog or a confident offensive minded player?  I suppose that depends on if he scores or not, right?

Yeah, kids are trying the move everywhere.  Maybe too much sometimes.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, siouxweet said:

Off topic a bit but why is MayPort in the East Region if they don't play any regular season games but are in the post season tournament? 

Believe they signed a five year agreement to play an independent schedule and get the 10th seed in the EDC tournament before possibly getting full membership at the end of that cycle.

Bottineau over Williston to advance to play Minot.  BHS showed zero mercy over Hazen 14-1 to advance to play Legacy.  Always hard to see seniors play their last game…had Pixellot on last night and the ice was cleared and a Williston kid did not wanna exit, those emotions hit hard.

EDC tonight and a couple dandies: Sheyenne at north and Davies at Central will be awesome.  If anyone knows a way to stream, please post here. 

Good night on the girls side:  Mandan at Minot, tied at 39 points for the 3 seed.  WF at GF, WF I believe will pass Minot/Mandan for the 3 by the end of the season, GF needs a win bad to stay in the race for state.  LHS/BHS at Williston, one point apart for 7/8, a game with huge state ramifications. 

12 hours ago, gfhockey said:

With the impending weather, are we going to have a mess like we did last year

I see no reason why the Fargo metro games would be effected...

But Davies and Devils making it to and back from Forks might cause some itchy postpone fingers from ADs.... 

40 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I see no reason why the Fargo metro games would be effected...

But Davies and Devils making it to and back from Forks might cause some itchy postpone fingers from ADs.... 

DL getting home shouldn't be an issue based on present projected storm track. Davies could be a whole other matter. 

But as always with ND weather, that may be different in five minutes.