SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 ND High School Hockey

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Updated state tournament guesses:

East: 1. RR.   2.South/Shanley.   3. North  4. Davies

West:  1. Legacy. 2. Minot  3. Century 4. Jamestown. 

GFC and Mandan are there too.  Mandan’s goalie has the ability to literally steal games and they are solid in front of him as well. 

Both WDA and EDC will be fantastic. 

2 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

GFC and Mandan are there too.  Mandan’s goalie has the ability to literally steal games and they are solid in front of him as well. 

For whatever reason I left out Mandan, they'll be there too.  Maybe instead of Century.  

If Central gets Panzer back it'll just add to a tight group of about 5 teams that can battle for the 3rd and 4th qualifier spots out of the east.   

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

For whatever reason I left out Mandan, they'll be there too.  Maybe instead of Century.  

If Central gets Panzer back it'll just add to a tight group of about 5 teams that can battle for the 3rd and 4th qualifier spots out of the east.   

he injured?

9 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

I think Mandan and Minot are a lock to make state. The other 2 I believe will be either Jamestown, Legacy, Dickinson, or Century. Much like last years state I can see it being a clean east sweep again in the first round 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sioux rube said:

I think Mandan and Minot are a lock to make state. The other 2 I believe will be either Jamestown, Legacy, Dickinson, or Century. Much like last years state I can see it being a clean east sweep again in the first round 

Yup, almost assured we see an EDC tournament repeat.  The top West seed has some hope, but playing and beating a Davies or a GFC at REA is tough feat.

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2023 at 7:49 PM, Wilbur said:

Updated state tournament guesses:

East: 1. RR.   2.South/Shanley.   3. North  4. Davies

West:  1. Legacy. 2. Minot  3. Century 4. Jamestown. 

I think Central replaces Davies and Mandan replaces Jamestown on that list, but it will take a perfect game for any West team to get out of the 1st round, and some luck.

9 hours ago, siouxweet said:

If I am not mistaken they swept RR this year.

Yes they did, FSS has a very good team this year, RR is very good, and the rest of EDC seems very solid as well.

I believe I saw WF Sheyenne beet Minot soundly today... doesn't Bode well for those 1st round games at state.

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Yes they did, FSS has a very good team this year, RR is very good, and the rest of EDC seems very solid as well.

I believe I saw WF Sheyenne beet Minot soundly today... doesn't Bode well for those 1st round games at state.

It will be all East in the first round again. And when Minot gets their second high school team it will be that much more saturated in the west 

10 hours ago, sioux rube said:

It will be all East in the first round again. And when Minot gets their second high school team it will be that much more saturated in the west 

We've been advised by administrators for boys and girls it’s not about competing or winning it’s about participation and inclusivity.  

Interested to see if and when Minot splits.  Haven’t heard much about hockey.  On the girls side there no reason WF shouldn’t be split either based on school sizes, youth numbers and facilities.

regarding 2 tiers it would be great.  Thinking they’d have to get the junior gold and 19u in smaller towns to be able to pull it off for boys and girls.  

59 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

We've been advised by administrators for boys and girls it’s not about competing or winning it’s about participation and inclusivity.  

Interested to see if and when Minot splits.  Haven’t heard much about hockey.  On the girls side there no reason WF shouldn’t be split either based on school sizes, youth numbers and facilities.

regarding 2 tiers it would be great.  Thinking they’d have to get the junior gold and 19u in smaller towns to be able to pull it off for boys and girls.  

Your first paragraph is what our AD told me when I interviewed for the girls high school coaching job. 2 years later he tells me it’s time to start beating those big schools, which we did but I didn’t think that mattered to him 

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

Any idea what the East v. West record is for the year?  Last year the East was something like 34-0 at one point.

Don’t know overall record but it’ll always be skewed.

Legacy lost a shootout to North and OT to Davies.  Lost to GFC 5-2 in a game that was 2-2 going into 3rd and a couple d snafus cost them.  Handled WF.

CHS also beat WF.  Lost to Davies 6-4 and GFC 2-1.  CHS has good team speed especially on top 2 lines and have started rolling lately. 

Outside of RR and South I feel those 2 teams could “scare” someone round 1 but who knows….could lose out in WDA on any given day too.  That’s why they play the game i guess. 

minot always goes to roseau tourney so don’t get as much crossover.  Sheyenne handled them 4-0 over the weekend.