SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/five-undrafted-und-players-to-participate-in-nhl-development-camps

Five UND players who are undrafted free agents have accepted invites to participate in NHL development camps this summer.

Forward Riese Gaber, UND's leading scorer last season, will participate with the Boston Bruins. After he's done in Boston, he will meet with the Detroit Red Wings. Gaber, who is entering his junior season, is expected to become one of college hockey's most coveted free agents whenever he decides to leave school.

Defenseman and alternate captain Ethan Frisch will participate with the Washington Capitals. Frisch, who is entering his senior season, is coming off of a strong junior year. Frisch scored nine goals and tallied 15 points in 36 games, becoming a force on UND's power play.

Forward and captain Mark Senden will participate with his hometown Minnesota Wild. Senden, who will be a fifth-year senior, has had plenty of success in St. Paul already. He captained Wayzata High School to its first-ever boys hockey state title in Xcel Energy Center, home of the Wild.

Forward Louis Jamernik will participate with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Jamernik has played a season and a half at UND and has been an good find for the Fighting Hawks out of Okotoks in the Alberta Junior Hockey League. Jamernik had nine goals and 19 points in 37 games last season.

Defenseman Chris Jandric will participate with the Arizona Coyotes. Jandric, also entering his fifth-year senior season, transferred to UND last summer from Alaska (Fairbanks). Jandric became a mainstay in the top four of UND's blue line last season.

50 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

These infernal development camps have the potential to tank our season before it even starts. Cross your fingers everyone.

I really only recall that happening once to us (player leaving school due to good performance at camp) in the last couple decades (correct me if I'm wrong).  I wouldn't worry about it.  Weatherby was an outlier.

8 hours ago, brianvf said:

I really only recall that happening once to us (player leaving school due to good performance at camp) in the last couple decades (correct me if I'm wrong).  I wouldn't worry about it.  Weatherby was an outlier.

I think because of Jasper bolting I'll forever have "ohh God what if he stands out" running through my head during these camps. :lol:

You are right though, happened one time.....shouldn't again right?  Right?:huh:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I think because of Jasper bolting I'll forever have "ohh God what if he stands out" running through my head during these camps. :lol:

You are right though, happened one time.....shouldn't again right?  Right?:huh:

Not to be that person but…

Didn’t it happen with Nick Schmaltz too? Granted not as late as Jasper, and not the same situation, but wasn’t the chatter that he was going to come back for his junior season until he went to Development camp and the Blackhawks talked to him and then he signed? 

24 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Not to be that person but…

Didn’t it happen with Nick Schmaltz too? Granted not as late as Jasper, and not the same situation, but wasn’t the chatter that he was going to come back for his junior season until he went to Development camp and the Blackhawks talked to him and then he signed? 

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/06/19/teuvo-two-blackhawks-reportedly-sign-nick-schmaltz/

Looks like Nick signed with the Blackhawks on June 19, 2016. 
Definitely not as late as Jasper...that would have also been before the NHL development camps as well.

< to the tune of the 12 Days of Christmas > 

Five guys at development camps ... 

Four trying for Juniors
Three drafted freshmen
Two fifth year forwards 

... but not a blue-chip for that certain someone to see ... 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/06/19/teuvo-two-blackhawks-reportedly-sign-nick-schmaltz/

Looks like Nick signed with the Blackhawks on June 19, 2016. 
Definitely not as late as Jasper...that would have also been before the NHL development camps as well.

Okay thanks. I remember he signed quite a bit further into the summer than guys usually do but wasn’t sure exactly when it happened. 

They've updated "five" to ... nineteen. 
https://fightinghawks.com/news/2022/7/11/mens-hockey-nineteen-north-dakota-products-featured-at-nhl-development-camps.aspx 

What in that list makes me happiest?

Philadelphia Flyers: Gavin Hain (F), ... 

This has to mean "Hain is cleared to skate and cleared for contact."  :) 

The name not going to a NHL-dev camp that surprises me most? Costantini. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

They've updated "five" to ... nineteen. 
https://fightinghawks.com/news/2022/7/11/mens-hockey-nineteen-north-dakota-products-featured-at-nhl-development-camps.aspx 

What in that list makes me happiest?

This has to mean "Hain is cleared to skate and cleared for contact."  :) 

The name not going to a NHL-dev camp that surprises me most? Costantini. 

Costantini is drafted by Buffalo and the article has theirs as “TBA” and I saw they haven’t announced their camp roster yet. So he could still be going. 

And now Kunz makes it 21. (He was my "why not" after Matteo.) 

Seems easier to list the "nots": Goalies, incoming D (Farmer, Sidorski), Kleven*, Bast, Portz**, Monty, Ness, Albrecht

*nothing to prove at an OTT camp
**next on my "why not" list after Matteo and Kunz, and Bast is after Portz

LIST OF UND PRODUCTS ATTENDING NHL DEVELOPMENT CAMPS:
Anaheim Ducks: TBA
Arizona Coyotes: Chris Jandric (D)*
Boston Bruins: Riese Gaber (F)*, Jake Schmaltz (F)
Buffalo Sabres: Matteo Costantini (F)
Carolina Hurricanes: Jackson Blake (F)
Detroit Red Wings: Dylan James (F), Cooper Moore (D)
Minnesota Wild: Hobie Hedquist (G)*, Mark Senden (F)*
Nashville Predators: Ben Strinden (F)
New York Islanders: TBA
Ottawa Senators: Jake Sanderson (D)
Philadelphia Flyers: Gavin Hain (F), Owen McLaughlin (F)
Pittsburgh Penguins: Judd Caulfield (F)
San Jose Sharks: TBA
Tampa Bay Lightning: Louis Jamernik (F)*, Grant Mismash (F)
Toronto Maple Leafs: TBA
Vancouver Canucks: Jackson Kunz (F)
Vegas Golden Knights: Connor Ford (F), Abram Wiebe (D)
Washington Capitals: Ethan Frisch (D)*, Brent Johnson (D)
Winnipeg Jets: TBA

*Denotes camp invitee

21 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

And now Kunz makes it 21. (He was my "why not" after Matteo.) 

Seems easier to list the "nots": Goalies, incoming D (Farmer, Sidorski), Kleven*, Bast, Portz**, Monty, Ness, Albrecht

*nothing to prove at an OTT camp
**next on my "why not" list after Matteo and Kunz, and Bast is after Portz

Klevens not at OTT camp due to world juniors. Otherwise he would be there. 

21 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

An NCAA collegian at Team Canada camp. 

"Great disruption in Force I felt did I." -- Yoda

Canada Camp roster: https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/team-canada/men/junior/2022-23/camps/roster-summer-camp 

Is this the....

"We have a spot ..

To bad you went the NCAA route cause.... well...

You know Brandon still owns your rights and... ever been to Brandon.. Nice place that Brandon...

So anyway as I was saying... Wish we could give ya spot but..."

In actuality is probably,

"Here's 100k and a Canadian Junior team spot, you're going to Brandon.

• Upvote 2

On 7/9/2022 at 9:00 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

These infernal development camps have the potential to tank our season before it even starts. Cross your fingers everyone.

You won't like this:

;) :) 

Hopefully Gaber has a breakout junior year at UND. 

18 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Is this the....

"We have a spot ..

To bad you went the NCAA route cause.... well...

You know Brandon still owns your rights and... ever been to Brandon.. Nice place that Brandon...

So anyway as I was saying... Wish we could give ya spot but..."

In actuality is probably,

"Here's 100k and a Canadian Junior team spot, you're going to Brandon.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw this news.

4 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

He’s going to have a big year. Hopefully they find him linemates he can gel with early.

Since he likes to shoot a lot, I think Blake would really be able to set him up quite frequently.  Schmaltz isn't a bad set-up guy either. 

15 hours ago, brianvf said:

You won't like this:

;) :) 

Hopefully Gaber has a breakout junior year at UND. 

Just for the record, Riese Gaber has played in 63 games scoring (26g-32a--58pts), he's also a plus-16. That's almost a point per game. Seeing him wear a spoked B would make me very happy.

• Like 1