SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Season    Team    GP    G    A    Pts    PIM  +/- 
2020-21    U.S. National Development Team    20    2    2    4    8    -8  
2021-22    U.S. National Development Team    26    10    6    16    10    5               

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=238292 

That's #12 on that team

That screaming "ready for the NCHC" to anyone?

A year in the USHL (for a currently 17 year old) was a prudent request. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

For those ripping on Spicers slow start in the USHL......this season as a 17 year old his PPG rate is higher than Senden's was as a 20 year old in the USHL......and Senden's PPG rate has basically stayed the same through college.  

UND is gonna regret this one.  Spicer is exactly the type of high end potential they need.....not a team full of grinders. 

So, Spicer was going to be undrafted and play a third line role in his UND career? No. Sendo spent four years here enough to earn a chance to come back and was offered it. If you want to make that comp to someone else, that's fine, that one feels silly.

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Season    Team    GP    G    A    Pts    PIM  +/- 
2020-21    U.S. National Development Team    20    2    2    4    8    -8  
2021-22    U.S. National Development Team    26    10    6    16    10    5               

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=238292 

That's #12 on that team

That screaming "ready for the NCHC" to anyone?

A year in the USHL (for a currently 17 year old) was a prudent request. 

It's a little misleading given that it's basically an all star team he's playing on. 

I'm in the boat of you bring the kid in.  Had some injury issues at NTDP, but is on a team littered in fabulous talented.

Get Budy to the transfer portal, and send Montgomery back to the USHL for a year.  

Being a North Dakota kid I hope for the best for him.  Hopefully he has a nice career somewhere, but not against us. :)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

This is the same reaction this forum had for Donovan. Sucks to lose a local kid, but I don't see him above any of the others being brought in.

Do you see him above Albrecht, Montgomery, Budy?  Sometimes you need to make tough decisions in order to keep potential talent around.  He might not be ready, but if he had to sit like some of those guys did, so be it. Would rather keep the higher ceiling guys around.  After all, we brought in Brent Johnson over Morrow, and one could see early he wasn’t physically ready for the college game, but we have someone with good potential going forward.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

So, Spicer was going to be undrafted and play a third line role in his UND career? No. Sendo spent four years here enough to earn a chance to come back and was offered it. If you want to make that comp to someone else, that's fine, that one feels silly.

Ideally I think most would agree that Spicer would benefit from another year in the USHL.  However, this team needs a couple high enders (at least with high end potential) to come in.  There are no guarantees so out of every 2-3 high level recruits you get, it's possible only one becomes a star.  When you stop bringing in the high enders, you don't even give yourself a chance of getting that star.  UND's lack of high end offensive talent was on full display the last two games of the season.....when it mattered most. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm on board with this, for sure.

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If I get to answer:

Budy finds a portal home (as does Calder). 
Bring in McLaughlin, Blake, James, and Strinden.

Run with 16F this year because of the Hain's untested injury in game situations. 

To go a little more in-depth.

For starters, you need to address Senden / Hain staying. That would be in the form of Calder and Budy heading to the portal. Think of it as a two Senior for two Senior swap. This ends up as a net gain for the Senior class. Where I differ from @The Sicatoka is I would like to see one other depth forward enter the portal. That would give a clean Four for Four with the incoming Freshman. That would also if you're worried about Hain's injury, give you the option to Portal for a 16th forward. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

Where I differ from @The Sicatoka is I would like to see one other depth forward enter the portal. That would give a clean Four for Four with the incoming Freshman. That would also if you're worried about Hain's injury, give you the option to Portal for a 16th forward. 

I've pondered Montgomery doing a "Quinn Fylling" and going back to the USHL for a season. Now find my portal forward* to come in as my insurance policy on Hain's injury. 

*I had dreams of Luke Sillinger; he had dreams of ASU coeds I guess.  < shrug > 

I guess we will see how the rest of the roster shakes out, but I guess if you are going to lose potential talent I wouldn’t mind bringing in someone from the portal who has proven themselves in college already.  

7 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

So can anyone here with a straight face say Montgomery > Spicer?  C'mon

Spicer last season  - 26 games, 16 points

Montgomery USHL final season - 28 games, 23 points

Can we at least give Montgomery more than 16 games with very limited shifts at UND before people make a decision on him?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I've pondered Montgomery doing a "Quinn Fylling" and going back to the USHL for a season. Now find my portal forward* to come in as my insurance policy on Hain's injury. 

*I had dreams of Luke Sillinger; he had dreams of ASU coeds I guess.  < shrug > 

Sillinger was not well liked by anyone in Bemidji. And not a great teammate either. We dodged that bullet. There's a reason he picked a team that is not in a conference.

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

The only way this works is both Senden and Hain have to put up 20-25 points next season. Short term gratification........

Like I mentioned, IF you see Budy enter the portal and you look at it from the standpoint of Senden or Hain as 5th years or Calder / Budy (Seniors) then you have upgraded your Senior class without disturbing the numbers. 

16 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Ideally I think most would agree that Spicer would benefit from another year in the USHL.  However, this team needs a couple high enders (at least with high end potential) to come in.  There are no guarantees so out of every 2-3 high level recruits you get, it's possible only one becomes a star.  When you stop bringing in the high enders, you don't even give yourself a chance of getting that star.  UND's lack of high end offensive talent was on full display the last two games of the season.....when it mattered most. 

This is all completely fair. I just think our current class is a little packed up. They knew the kid needed a scholarship and based on the players coming in, he didn't have one this season. UND made the decision of one more year of Hain/Sendo for a run at a title over Spicer, who COULD end up being good, or could end up being Ryder Donavan. 

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Agreed. 
Also agree with the take that Spicer might be panicking a bit…he would very much benefit from a year in the USHL and be able to contribute right away next season. Instead he’ll get bottom 6 minutes on a different team. 
This feels like the Donovan situation all over again. 

Obviously playing in the ushl wouldn’t hurt him, it’s a nasty league. I think it has more to do about communication.

31 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

This is the same reaction this forum had for Donovan. Sucks to lose a local kid, but I don't see him above any of the others being brought in.

Please look at Donovan’s ushl stats (and age of when he put the numbers up). You argument/comparison makes zero sense.

I think this situation happens when they decided to ask Hain and Sneden to come back. Much as I like them both, and they certainly fit the UND culture, neither are great at putting the puck in the net. And the team needs scorers. Certainly Spicer was not likely to be a top player right away but the upside looks strong. I don't like keeping a fifth year guy around, or bringing in a one year guy from the portal, when you risk losing a potential 3 year top 6 guy.

• Upvote 1