SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

LOL watch the kid play defense. Start there. Then, we can talk the issues that actually got us to want to push him out.

1st team AA is a true frosh. This is the wrong argument. Don’t need to fight against the grain on everything. (Yes I am aware there are things he needs to work on)

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

LOL watch the kid play defense. Start there. Then, we can talk the issues that actually got us to want to push him out.

Any truth to the rumor that Morrow's defense partner was called "Laundry" ... because he got hung out to dry so much? 

9 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

1st team AA is a true frosh. This is the wrong argument. Don’t need to fight against the grain on everything. (Yes I am aware there are things he needs to work on)

Incredible, elite offensive talent. No need for me to argue against that. He's not a good defensive player, or at least he's not trying to be one, I guess. He's also apparently not the best teammate nor a wonderful person, based on what I've heard. We can let this one go, it's fine. Honestly not trying to be argumentative or "go against the grain" as you put, but I don't miss the kid on our team. It's that simple.

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Any truth to the rumor that Morrow's defense partner was called "Laundry" ... because he got hung out to dry so much? 

LOL I cannot confirm, nor deny.

8 minutes ago, tnt said:

https://www.usahockeyntdp.com/news_article/show/1184702

Maybe he thinks he is like his hero Toews.  Seriously, how does a person's mindset change so drastically.  You would think that someone in his inner circle would have some rational thought for what is in his best interest. 

Man, he was REALLY sure he was coming in in the Fall. Bums me out that this wasn't straightened out.

Two players, different years, same team/league. 

Team              League  GP    G    A    Pts  PIM  +/-
U.S. National  USHL    25     7    11    18    14    11   Gavin Hain 2017-18
U.S. National  USHL    26    10    6    16    10    5     Cole Spicer 2021-22

Name the players. (Highlight the post to see the names/seasons appear.) 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I’m guessing Caulfield and spicer 

18 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Man, he was REALLY sure he was coming in in the Fall. Bums me out that this wasn't straightened out.

If I were the coaches, as long as he hasn't signed anywhere else, I wouldn't give up on this.  To me, I would have some NHL scouts talk to the kid and his family and explain that his development would be better if he played another year of Juniors, and that being a possible late round pick, there is no hurry to move on to college.   To the contrary, moving too fast could end up ruining his development.   Doesn't hurt, as long as that bridge isn't burned, and I would hope that UND still is open to communication.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, tnt said:

If I were the coaches, as long as he hasn't signed anywhere else, I wouldn't give up on this.  To me, I would have some NHL scouts talk to the kid and his family and explain that his development would be better if he played another year of Juniors, and that being a possible late round pick, there is no hurry to move on to college.   To the contrary, moving too fast could end up ruining his development.   Doesn't hurt, as long as that bridge isn't burned, and I would hope that UND still is open to the communication.  

He signed his letter of intent so UND still needs to release him from that if they haven't already done so.

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

He signed his letter of intent so UND still needs to release him from that if they haven't already done so.

UND needs to do nothing.
UND may choose to do something. 

Call it a teachable moment. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

That article was written before McLaughlin committed. Still, what I'm still stuck on is the timing of everything. I guess the logical thought would be that up until this week Spicer thought he was coming this Fall. If you've followed Schlossman, he's been saying for months that McLaughlin / Blake are locks and that Strinden was the 3rd to come in. So, doing the math, it must just be as simple as James went from #5 to #4 recently and that is that. My only confusion is I would have thought James would have been ahead of him the entire time (see production / midterm rankings / age). 

I'm just getting a little impatient and reading Schlossman's article, it says the Forward group should be cleaned up by May! I cannot figure out why this would take so long. I am convinced that McLaughlin / Blake / Strinden / James will be coming, which is what I wanted. More impatience then anything on my part, since daily you see other schools vision become clearer and clearer (see Minnesota's 5th guy to the portal yesterday). UND is just spinning their wheels.  

22 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Answer key. 

26 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'm just getting a little impatient and reading Schlossman's article, it says the Forward group should be cleaned up by May! I cannot figure out why this would take so long. I am convinced that McLaughlin / Blake / Strinden / James will be coming, which is what I wanted. More impatience then anything on my part, since daily you see other schools vision become clearer and clearer (see Minnesota's 5th guy to the portal yesterday). UND is just spinning their wheels.  

My recollections say UND announces the fall roster about finals week in May. 

It's only lately they put out "teaser tweets". 

2 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

So, to summarize.

Kid turns out to be Sidney Crosby, we lose.

Kid turns out to be Bing Crosby, we win.

In today's world you left out Kathy Lee Crosby, and That's Incredible. <-- I'll smoke out the old timers with those references. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

My recollections say UND announces the fall roster about finals week in May. 

It's only lately they put out "teaser tweets". 

You are right on that the Freshman class isn't announced until May / June. I want to clarify, the impatience part is on how the numbers are going to work. Logically, there are players that will have to leave for you to keep Senden / Hain and bring in 4 Freshman. I don't understand why if a player was going to leave that they wouldn't have done it already. It just may be that there will be 17 Forwards. I'll guess we'll see. 

26 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

We'll have to Nash all that out while we're Stills ... Young. 

I have to admit, that's not a band that I've listened to. If I have, it's because my father-in-law was listening to it on my Alexa. My wife was giving my crap because I made a reference to Richard Burton, she was like how heck are they going to know who that is?