SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

3 minutes ago, Green Banner said:

Never heard of a school doing that , but always wondered how that would play out

I don’t remember the player’s name but if I recall Northeastern blocked him from going to Denver. He ended up staying at Northeastern before eventually transferring to Minnesota. 

On 4/15/2022 at 9:52 AM, The Sicatoka said:

UND needs to do nothing.
UND may choose to do something. 

Call it a teachable moment. 

*Would need* :lol:

And if they can prevent him from going to:  Duluth, SCSU, Omaha, and Denver that'd be great.  

I've heard that East Lansing is nice.

Just now, Wilbur said:

*Would need* :lol:

And if they can prevent him from going to:  Duluth, SCSU, Omaha, and Denver that'd be great.  

I've heard that East Lansing is nice.

If everyone thinks the kid isn’t good why would we want to prevent him?

i have a feeling spicer will show und we missed on another recruit

• Upvote 4

On 4/15/2022 at 8:53 AM, stoneySIOUX said:

LOL watch the kid play defense. Start there. Then, we can talk the issues that actually got us to want to push him out.

Typical “We didn’t want him response”.   You’re absolutely nuts if you think he couldn’t/shouldn’t play for the Hawks

1 hour ago, ChetSteadman said:

Typical “We didn’t want him response”.   You’re absolutely nuts if you think he couldn’t/shouldn’t play for the Hawks

You can teach skilled players how to play defense and kill penalties. You cannot teach players with average skills (a.k.a. "grindaz") how to score goals and create offense. Recruit the most talented kids you can and coach them up on defense and other fundamentals.

1 minute ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

From all my experiences with him, he’s just a genuinely good person.

+1

I've only met him once myself, but from that interaction and how he presents himself and represents the university...you can definitely tell that he is a standup, good person.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChetSteadman said:

Hey man, I get it. He's an incredible talent. Offensive stud. He's not a responsible defensive player at all and if you watch him play, he's regularly feeding his teammates to the wolves with poor decisions. His former D-partner who's now coming to UND was the recipient of said decisions a lot last season.

There's a reason a kid that talented, All-American as a rookie, didn't go first round. 

Partner that with some pretty rough stories about him off the ice (and some related to his tendency to not play sound defense on the ice), I don't think he was a right for for UND. 

Completely fine with you pegging it as a "typical response", and I'm just one man with an opinion based on what I've heard and seen. Feel free to love the kid. He's super talented. No skin off my back. 

We're all good "Rocket" ;)

30 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Your statement leads me to believe you think it’s an act. Why is that?

One thing that strikes me about Berry is when he’s done with an interview/press conference/etc he takes extra time to thank the person doing the interview or something along those lines.

He also takes a lot of extra time to appreciate all the support the program gets, including things that aren’t posted by the UND hockey social media.

From all my experiences with him, he’s just a genuinely good person.  When I lived across the street from him as a kid he’d invite the neighborhood kids over, give us candy bars and answer all our questions about playing in the NHL. Before he moved away he stopped at my house and gave me a hockey stick from his nhl career. IMO These aren’t things people do for notoriety or because they want to appear good. It’s because they are good.

I don't think it's an act. I generally like him as a coach, interviewee and face of the program. But I'm also a city dweller, and his pace, tone, etc. don't match mine, shall we say. He seems genuine to me, and if you dig through my posting history this is the closest I've come to criticizing him. Just wish he was a little more intense. Not PJ Fleck intense, just....moreso.

13 hours ago, gfhockey said:

If everyone thinks the kid isn’t good why would we want to prevent him?

i have a feeling spicer will show und we missed on another recruit

The problem with this premise is that we didn't miss. We just wanted the kid, who would be the first 18 year old forward to come into UND since Jonny Toews, to play one more year in junior. Spicer made his decision. 

I think he's gonna be a solid college player, but he got passed up by other recruits that basically every other poster on here adore. UND felt he wasn't ready. We'll see if he is, unfortunately. 

Just now, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I don't think it's an act. I generally like him as a coach, interviewee and face of the program. But I'm also a city dweller, and his pace, tone, etc. don't match mine, shall we say. He seems genuine to me, and if you dig through my posting history this is the closest I've come to criticizing him. Just wish he was a little more intense. Not PJ Fleck intense, just....moreso.

I mean if you want a guy that gets all the recruits we could investigate Mel Pearson as an option… there’s a chance he’s searching soon