SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UNO -- PENNE ROSA EDITION - Friday gameday

stoneySIOUX

8 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Probably just me

It would be real nice to win the regular season conference title but I’m not stressed over it. Lose and we  still live for another day.

lose a game in the NCAA you are done - that I stress over more

Not only that.   Losing a game at this point can be a lesson and a motivator.   As long as it's not a goalie confidence thing.  For instance, you beat the other guy to the puck not only are you likely to gain possession, you're probably not going to commit a penalty.   I like the way these boys are coached, but they were getting beat to pucks in the third, whether they were playing conservative hockey or they just didn't have the urgency Omaha did.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, burd said:

Not only that.   Losing a game at this point can be a lesson and a motivator.   As long as it's not a goalie confidence thing.  For instance, you beat the other guy to the puck not only are you likely to gain possession, you're probably not going to commit a penalty.   I like the way these boys are coached, but they were getting beat to pucks in the third, whether they were playing conservative hockey or they just didn't have the urgency Omaha did.  

I think when they got into some penalty trouble, that by itself resulted in a shortened bench and therefore the penalty killers probably didn’t have a whole lot in the tank. At least this is my impression from Coach Berry’s post game comments with Hennessy. 

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

So I wasn’t able to watch the game last night. Anyone have any thoughts on anything UND can shore up for tonight’s game? Did UND play pretty well over all last night? Anything that they could change up? Just curious to get everyone’s thoughts on how the team performed. Thanks. 

The NCHC officials. The call on Jackson Kunz was horrendous and led to UND giving up a two-goal lead. They ran out of gas. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, burd said:

We lose we likely play CC. We win we play Miami, most likely. Who would we rather play or not play?

10 minutes ago, mattim said:

We lose we likely play CC. We win we play Miami, most likely. Who would we rather play or not play?

I think Miami has better goaltending despite thinking Basse is a more than capable goaltender. CC’s play in the defensive zone is not good. CC is a small team and they don’t do well with regards to board work, which is one of UND’s specialties. 

2 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Is this ncaa wide or just our league. It sure sucks. NCAA circle jerk imo

Go back, way back in time, to the NHL in the 60’s. 2 for a win, 1 for a tie. Overtime only in playoffs. 20 minute, 5x5, sudden death. NCAA wide. Back to you… :wink:

Absolutely zero gas at the end for our guys.  Lucky to not have lost it in regulation with the way Omaha was rolling.

Our gap play at the end was the worst its been all season long.  Yet you were having to play certain guys heavy minutes and poor gaps is a direct result of tired guys.  

As a whole I didn't think our d zone was that great last night.  Maybe that's a credit to the Mavs buzzing around too. 

17 minutes ago, cberkas said:

It's NCAA wide, there is just no shootout done most of the time in non-conference games. 

I like the old wcha overtime where winner takes both points if you win in overtime. NCHC gotta be different and have 3 points so they can go to this lame overtime system where both teams get participation points for a tie.

19 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

So sweeping them means nothing?

No...apparently the head to head only counts if you play at both teams’ arenas.  DU came to Grand Forks but there was no series in Denver.  So the tiebreaker goes to wins in regulation.

20 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

It would be real nice to win the regular season conference title but I’m not stressed over it. 

UND did win the regular season title. It is awarded on league points, and 53 can't be beaten. (Tiebreakers are only for post-season seeding.) 

For reference that 1997 WCHA regular season banner in REA was shared.