SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Season

SWSiouxMN

On 3/14/2022 at 3:03 PM, Kab said:

Reading articles about eaglestaff a lot of why he chose Und is its close so his mother can watch him play.  Also he wants to carry on the legacy of his uncle at Und. He seems to have thought this thru and I commend him for that.  I hope the transition to d1 basketball will be easy for him.  I’m sure the staff will be working with him this summer to get him ready.

You will like this if you haven't seen it.  He seems to be everything that this program needs right now off the court.  Need to build that culture..

• Upvote 2

The assistant coaches salary is sure not going to attract any experienced candidates for the position. Only way is somebody looking as starting position to open the door for something elsewhere. Hard to keep a staff together when you know got to move on as soon as better position opens up. Not even 10% of Barry salary as coach of the hockey team . Hard to build a program with this all the budget allows.

• Upvote 1

Have to say I haven't followed UND basketball closely since Hooker and Crandell were playing. Anytime we seem to get a guy with some potential, we can't hold on to him. Is this a product of coaching, lack of team success, transfer rules, a combo? FWIW I know transfer rules don't help, but seems to be hurting UND more than the other Dakota schools, so I'm not sure that is the most valid reason.

Enjoy the 1 year we get of Eaglestaff, because unless he comes in an is magically surrounded by talent, I can't see him or anyone else wanting to stay. There seems to be a major lack of culture within the program.

There seems to be an ongoing discussion around football as to if the program is in the right place and how do we get more talent, how do we become competitive every year. Football seems to be a non-issue compared to basketball. Just seems like this entire program has been circling the drain for a little while now. Then again, I'm no great basketball mind. Maybe I'm way off base, but a 6-25 team (2-16 conf) losing Bruns doesn't get me overly excited for what is to come.

Open to thoughts and opinions from people who are more in the know with basketball and this program.

On 3/8/2022 at 2:03 PM, gfhockey said:

Takes money to make money

what happend to all the money we saved from cutting sports

It went to UND's committee factories. I'm guess a committee was needed to decide if we should hand out extensions to some of these coaches. UND loves its committees.

FWIW, I'm not crazy about the idea of extending Bubba yet, but he has earned it far more than Sather. To me, the most impressive thing Sather has done is make Brian Jones look like a decent coach.

25 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

How’s he end up there with no coach

are things that bad here

They do have a coach now

i can’t and won’t believe that Bruns didn’t know what was going on with the coaching situation.

I usually wish players luck if they leave but I won’t with Bruns, I hope we beat the hell out of them when we play the coyotes, get the football team qued up when the coyotes are in grand forks , I’m sure they can come up with some good sayings for Bruns 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Kab said:

I usually wish players luck if they leave but I won’t with Bruns, I hope we beat the hell out of them when we play the coyotes, get the football team qued up when the coyotes are in grand forks , I’m sure they can come up with some good sayings for Bruns 

Kid gloves can definitely be removed when dealing with him. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

So the coach in waiting Peterson was recruiting him when they had the old head coach?

In the history of the NCAA I’m sure that has never happened and never will, yah right.