SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Season

SWSiouxMN

35 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I want to wait to push the panic button on the season until UND gets past the USD/SDSU home games.

You have 4 opportunites here to get wins, try and get at least 2. 

I agree. This could go downhill real quick if they don't get back on track though. Somebody needs to get everyone on the same page and get everyone together. They don't look like a team at all. Haven't since the CS Fullerton game. Lineups and rotations constantly changing. No players can get in a rhythm. No players are cheering for each others success because they are wondering why they all of a sudden got benched. Everyone sits the whole game while on the bench. Barely clap when someone scores. You don't win games by being a bunch of individuals. 

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I agree. This could go downhill real quick if they don't get back on track though. Somebody needs to get everyone on the same page and get everyone together. They don't look like a team at all. Haven't since the CS Fullerton game. Lineups and rotations constantly changing. No players can get in a rhythm. No players are cheering for each others success because they are wondering why they all of a sudden got benched. Everyone sits the whole game while on the bench. Barely clap when someone scores. You don't win games by being a bunch of individuals. 

I guess it’s hard for me to see what’s happening on a broadcast but at the home games I’ve been to I disagree with this. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I guess it’s hard for me to see what’s happening on a broadcast but at the home games I’ve been to I disagree with this. 

That's fair, I respect that!

It's easy to cheer and be a team when you're winning or when you're having a good half like the first half against Seattle or the Thanksgiving tournament games. But what really matters is how they stick together when things aren't go their way. Like, the second half against Seattle. Like the second half last night. To me, it is pretty apparent

I didn’t watch last nights game but looking at the box score where we lost the game was they had 22 off turnovers and we had  4 for difference of 18 points. I would say we need to protect the ball better and watching this team this year this has been big problem Turing over the ball and allowing other team to score off those turnovers.  St. Thomas is one best teams to exploit other team weaknesses and are very disciplined playing the game and we on the other hand have not been. I wouldn’t be surprised that St Thomas isn’t going to be one or two in the conference this year. We continue to play a lot of people the reason for this nobody has stepped up showed they can play consistent  game or they have major weakness in their game. Look at the comments by all of us on board about different players how they are so different from night to night so see why coaching has played so many fiferent players each night. I would say only player that has played consistent game or over achieved is Danielson. I believe they had hoped Suecker would have provided  this but looking at him this year he’s not the player he was last year or year before..I believe what ever he hurt last year is either still affecting him or doesn’t allow him movement he had before the injury because he looks slow and doesn’t have the movement he had before.  The hope is that some of these players figure it out by the end of the season. The only positive is this very young team and that’s probably why we’re seeing what we’re seeing.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Saying we are a young team is such a copout though. We played 10 guys last night. Three of them are freshman... Mathews played 3 minutes and is a sophomore. The other 6 guys are all juniors or above. They are 14 games into the season and now 1 conference game down. At some point you just have to figure it out and find a way to at least be competitive. St. Thomas was D3 team 1.5 years ago, they were missing their 14.5 ppg scorer last night and UND wasn't even really competitive. Especially in the second half. To me, saying we are a young team is an excuse that really isn't valid at this point in the season. 

Yes and no, depending on how you look at the breakdown. And inexperienced is probably more accurate than young, but I still think the latter applies.
41% of the minutes were played by players that were playing in high school last year (Omot, Brooks, Eaglestaff).
14% were played by players that are playing their first D1 season (Trent, Levias).
22% were played by players that are playing their second D1 season (Tsartsidze, Norman, Mathews).
That leaves 24% being played by guys that have more than one D1 season under their belt (Danielson, Sueker).

I mean, that is the more than the equivalent of two players who were sitting in a high school classroom last year playing a full game. That's definitely is not the norm.
That being said, I think its the right move and gives UND the best chance to win both now and in the future. But there is going to be growing pains. Let's hope we get to see this group grow together....

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Yes and no, depending on how you look at the breakdown. And inexperienced is probably more accurate than young, but I still think the latter applies.
41% of the minutes were played by players that were playing in high school last year (Omot, Brooks, Eaglestaff).
14% were played by players that are playing their first D1 season (Trent, Levias).
20% were played by players that are playing their second D1 season (Tsartsidze, Norman).
That leaves 25% being played by guys that have more than one D1 season under their belt (Danielson, Sueker, Mathews).

I mean, that is the more than the equivalent of two players who were sitting in a high school classroom last year playing a full game. That's definitely is not the norm.
That being said, I think its the right move and gives UND the best chance to win both now and in the future. But there is going to be growing pains. Let's hope we get to see this group grow together....

Matthews would be in the 2nd year group. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

22% were played by players that are playing their second D1 season (Tsartsidze, Norman, Mathews).
That leaves 24% being played by guys that have more than one D1 season under their belt (Danielson, Sueker).

Care to break down the St.Thomas roster?

1 minute ago, dmksioux said:

Care to break down the St.Thomas roster?

Not sure if its in relation to how many years they have been playing seasons of D1 but I'll humor it anyway.
Also, do I get to put a conversion rate that takes into account the distance from campus? :)

Senior or Grad Students, playing 2nd year of D1 basketball (Bjorklund, Miller, Allen, Engels) - 58%
Junior, playing 3rd year of D1 basketball (Brown, Jr) - 11%
Sophomore, playing 2nd year of D1 basketball (Nau) - 9%
Freshman/RFr, playing 1st year of D1 basketball (Blue, Dufault, Lee) - 22%

72% of minutes came from players who grew up in the metro.
7% came from players that grew up within 80 miles of campus
21% came from players that grew up in Milwaukee or Chicago (325-400 miles away)

The top and bottom numbers of location is exactly why St. Thomas is going to be a force within a few years. There is a lot of talent in the metro they are going to keep and pulling from the Milwaukee and Chicago areas to MSP/StP is a lot easier than to Grand Forks. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

That is a good breakdown! One point to add, though, about the freshmen is that these 3 freshman aren't your normal run of the mill freshman. We are talking about Mr. Basketball of Kansas, Mr. Basketball of ND, and a Mr. Basketball finalist in MN. These guys have been playing high level basketball for many many years. Playing now at UND is a jump up, but it really isn't that massive of a jump.

But they absolutely need to keep feeding those 3 as many minutes as they possibly can. They are the future of the program! Need them to grow up quick if they want to be competitive. 

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, UND-SPORTS-FAN said:

UND finally offered Klabo... I don't understand what took so long when both parents & older sister played at UND. Not holding my breath as I think if he gets a little taller he will be going to a P5 school. 

Klabo.JPG

I kinda wonder if P5 guys will start accepting more low/mid major offers to gain playing time and experience prior to transferring to a P5 school.  Think juniors/USHL for hockey.  Even NHL draft picks play juniors while knowing they will probably leave college early, rather playing 4 yrs of college hockey. Would a guy like Klabo develop faster if he played at UND as a freshman vs riding the bench at a P5? 

Not saying whether or not this is or should his or UND's approach - it just crossed my mind.  A p5 could also suggest that to a kid... telling them to play somewhere they will see the floor and then transfer with 1yr experience.  

The most frustrating thing for me is it felt like we finally started finding something Thanksgiving weekend but we just haven’t been able to find it since. There’s been glimpses of it against Seattle, UST, USD and SDSU but no finish or too many periods of droughts. Is it there? Sure. 

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

The most frustrating thing for me is it felt like we finally started finding something Thanksgiving weekend but we just haven’t been able to find it since. There’s been glimpses of it against Seattle, UST, USD and SDSU but no finish or too many periods of droughts. Is it there? Sure. 

I fell for it too. I was asking if we could finish in the top half of the conference after those thanksgiving games. I think the more likely answer is we played two teams from warmer climates, in grand forks, over thanksgiving, when it was like 10 degrees. I don’t think they wanted any part in being here and we took advantage 

15 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

The droughts re to me what’s frustrating, it’s like no one wants to make a mistake and then that’s all they do, a little to passive 

2 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Eaglestaff, but then he would be.

Trent, Brooks, Norman, Danielson. All better guards at the college level right now. If we're talking right now. He's only a sophomore in HS and at 6'1" 160 pounds he would have a hard time competing with the physicality and speed of the D1 level. That's if we are talking right now like the question states. But if we're talking when he's done with HS and going to be a freshman in college he will be better than the guards we have at the moment.