SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Season

SWSiouxMN

I must say, I could be very wrong about this team. I did not think they could play at the level they did this weekend. Thought we would be more competitive this year, but ultimately building for the next couple of years. Haven’t paid a ton of attention to how the rest of the conference has played so far this year, but from what I’ve seen it hasn’t been good. If we play like we did this weekend, would it be ridiculous to think we could finish in the top half of the conference?

5 hours ago, GoodGood said:

I must say, I could be very wrong about this team. I did not think they could play at the level they did this weekend. Thought we would be more competitive this year, but ultimately building for the next couple of years. Haven’t paid a ton of attention to how the rest of the conference has played so far this year, but from what I’ve seen it hasn’t been good. If we play like we did this weekend, would it be ridiculous to think we could finish in the top half of the conference?

ORU hasn't played up to their talents, USD is struggling to find their shooting, NDSU is struggling to get anything in their backcourt and forwhatever reason refuse to run through Grant and Andrew, SDSU still finding themselves.

Meaning, despite losing two players to injury, DU is legit and is a top 3 threat this year.  UST freshman are legit and are going to be a problem.  

Something seemed to have clicked for UND this last week, now can they build on it.  The 2nd half of CSF is a great look of what this team can become...

*whispers: and they have another gear... when Omot and Eaglstaff really get locked it

• Upvote 2

I am surprised on SDSU not so much their record but how they are playing and struggling at the point guard position. Second i find it very funny but i guess its the way college basketball in the recap of their game against James Madison there was no mention of their former player Noah Freidel. This is after he was James Madison leading scorer against the bunnies. Henderson and SDSU seem to be very touchy on this. I just thought they would be farther along but Apple injury i believe is not going away and now they need someone to step and be leader of this team and that is going to be determined. NDSU is rebuilding and i still believe they will be factor at the end of the year. ORU is going to be there at the end of the year. USD all experts say they are going to contend but what i have seen is they are weak on front line and there guard play is extremely streaky and i have my doubts Plitzuweit will be able to play the minutes they will need in conference season. Denver record looks good but what happens when they are playing more challenging schedule. ST. Thomas could quietly put together another solid season and be factor at the end conference tournament. Omaha will be team that look good for week or two and pull off some upsets but i believe they are rebuilding will need another year. WSI i don't know much about but just don't think will contend. KC is rebuilding and will take at least year. UND is big question mark and i think they're going to be alot like Omaha play brilliantly for week or two and then just be searching for something to work right as teams adjust to them.

We will see big difference in athletes we’re competing against tomorrow and everyone going to be saying what happen to the defense. My hope that we make them have to work for their offense and we can run our offense with some consistency. This team should be a lot better than pacific and we’re playing on their floor. Also it’s going to be in front of big crowd so I hope we don’t start with bunch of jitters. Still a good game for us we can learn if we have people that can step up their game playing against talent they pocess.

4 hours ago, ND-fan said:

We will see big difference in athletes we’re competing against tomorrow and everyone going to be saying what happen to the defense. My hope that we make them have to work for their offense and we can run our offense with some consistency. This team should be a lot better than pacific and we’re playing on their floor. Also it’s going to be in front of big crowd so I hope we don’t start with bunch of jitters. Still a good game for us we can learn if we have people that can step up their game playing against talent they pocess.

Be interesting to see how we improved comparing the Creighton game.

6 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I think our defense should be alright in this game. Iowa States guard play is good and a large part why they are ranked 23rd now. We have solid guard defenders especially in Trent and Brooks if he is back. The biggest thing for this game will be our offense. Can we score the ball at all against their very physical, harassing defense?? That will be the big challenge!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that what separates 3-10 is very small. I have been thinking on this team and my optimistic view is that large rotation of players may not be as bad as one thinks. It gives us flexibility to match up with most teams in the conference. I like that we have 3 guards competing for playing time because if they continue play good defense we can match up with even top tier of the conference and make it difficult for these teams run their offense. For example SDSU offense will start with their two guards and if we can disrupt that with our guard play we have very good chance of being in position win the game. Also with our depth there we have fouls to give and still not being forced to put a forward on them where they would have miss match. The same goes for several other teams in the conference. Also we do have more length on the front line to match up with most of teams in the Summit. The big question will be can we play full 40 minutes of the basketball we have shown we can play and my gut feeling  is I think light bulb will go on at some point in conference season we become more complete team that has learned to win ball game. If this happens we have very high sealing that could exceed top teams in the conference but problem there are several teams in conference that could do the same thing. This is best team Sather has had since he inherited the program from Jones and that first year if he would have recruited another guard and added some depth he may have won the conference tourney. I think he has learned a lot since then and it is reflected in this years class. Also the addition of new assistant coach I believe has helped move the program forward in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I agree that what separates 3-10 is very small. I have been thinking on this team and my optimistic view is that large rotation of players may not be as bad as one thinks. It gives us flexibility to match up with most teams in the conference. I like that we have 3 guards competing for playing time because if they continue play good defense we can match up with even top tier of the conference and make it difficult for these teams run their offense. For example SDSU offense will start with their two guards and if we can disrupt that with our guard play we have very good chance of being in position win the game. Also with our depth there we have fouls to give and still not being forced to put a forward on them where they would have miss match. The same goes for several other teams in the conference. Also we do have more length on the front line to match up with most of teams in the Summit. The big question will be can we play full 40 minutes of the basketball we have shown we can play and my gut feeling  is I think light bulb will go on at some point in conference season we become more complete team that has learned to win ball game. If this happens we have very high sealing that could exceed top teams in the conference but problem there are several teams in conference that could do the same thing. This is best team Sather has had since he inherited the program from Jones and that first year if he would have recruited another guard and added some depth he may have won the conference tourney. I think he has learned a lot since then and it is reflected in this years class. Also the addition of new assistant coach I believe has helped move the program forward in my opinion.

Trent and Brooks can put a hell of a lot pressure on opposing guards.  I look for some steals and easy buckets as well.  Defense wins games.

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

Agree with a lot of this. I think the addition of Herbst was an excellent add. 

• Upvote 2