SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Recruiting

Hambone

Remember, the golden rule:

Good college football recruits don’t always make good college football players.

Some of these transfer guys may seem to be a safer bet, but we still don’t know how they will fit in with the coaching staff as well as the locker room. It’s always a wait and see game of unpredictability.

With that said, it still starts with recruiting a good solid base and then going from there. Development is key, and that includes what kind of evolvement these student athletes are surrounded by; positive or negative for growth? 

Watched the signing day special and the Kaminsky interview really got me excited. Can't wait to get this kid here. Definitely nothing against Feeney, still hopeful on him, but the better the competition the better the starter will be. Hope these two will be pushing each other daily. 

4 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

Watched the signing day special and the Kaminsky interview really got me excited. Can't wait to get this kid here. Definitely nothing against Feeney, still hopeful on him, but the better the competition the better the starter will be. Hope these two will be pushing each other daily. 

Does Tommy still have 1 or 2 years of eligibility left?  Im pretty optimistic about our QB room in general

Tommy/Quincy for the next year or 2..

Feeney/Romfo in the wings

Kaminsky pushing them both.

This of course could change overnight with transfers etc..

Great podcast per usual and felt they were right on with their assessment, which is the same as most of us have felt for a long time. 

That being said I think they attacked the portal and this signing class pretty well so far.  Really like the fact that we hit the lines really hard. And I don't remember having this amount of bigs on both lines coming in. We get a 245lb middle backer that can run and and and a head-hunting strong safety and we will be in business on Defense. Offense did a great job building depth. Like the trajectory...

1 minute ago, Parkers Pros said:

Great podcast per usual and felt they were right on with their assessment, which is the same as most of us have felt for a long time. 

That being said I think they attacked the portal and this signing class pretty well so far.  Really like the fact that we hit the lines really hard. And I don't remember having this amount of bigs on both lines coming in. We get a 245lb middle backer that can run and and and a head-hunting strong safety and we will be in business on Defense. Offense did a great job building depth. Like the trajectory...

Still think they need a plan at OLB

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, SkoHawks said:

I hope they allow all 4 to push for the starting job. We can improve at every position and that includes QB. 

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Prior to having any skin/blood in the game I was vocal about our TE graveyard U.  I voiced these concerns but was hopeful and optimistic this position group could/would/should evolve, but it didn't.  It regressed during the year and was reduced to a 1 dimensional blocking position in less than 35% of the O snaps last 4-5 games. (estimating)  Zavalney wasn't really a hand on the ground TE and a number of his early receptions were from a split position which Dennis seemed to gobble up when Dennis played more and Danny felt his 4 and 5 wide looks gave us the best chance to win.  Most frustrating might have been VRS Weber St. witnessing Weber's 2 TE package beating the crap out of us while in less than ideal conditions we tried to spread them out.  The only conclusion must be Danny feels his TE group is not talented enough to make them a bigger part of the offense.  And, Danny doesn't see the need for a grind it out/bad weather/Playoff type O package.  I think he's wrong on both accounts.  I still like the guy, Danny!!  

So why do we carry so many TEs and could some play other positions??  (I don't have these answers)

We often are forced to recruit to certain roster numbers, but yet those players aren’t DI capable, and unfortunately our strength/conditioning doesn’t turn them into DI players. I agree with recruiting best available kids, but you then have to fit the offense to them, and that hasn’t always been done. 

Also, no question the ND/MN region has a ton of TE body types, but yet our offense doesn’t utilize them. Danny’s offensive philosophy doesn’t use many tight ends, but we then have to get better at receiver. Other than Belquist, UND’s receivers were too slow and not explosive enough for running 4 and 5 receiver sets all the time. And recruiting tall slow white boys from the cities won’t fix that. I think the USD transfer will help … but that’s just a 1 year band aid. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

We often are forced to recruit to certain roster numbers, but yet those players aren’t DI capable, and unfortunately our strength/conditioning doesn’t turn them into DI players. I agree with recruiting best available kids, but you then have to fit the offense to them, and that hasn’t always been done. 

Also, no question the ND/MN region has a ton of TE body types, but yet our offense doesn’t utilize them. Danny’s offensive philosophy doesn’t use many tight ends, but we then have to get better at receiver. Other than Belquist, UND’s receivers were too slow and not explosive enough for running 4 and 5 receiver sets all the time. And recruiting tall slow white boys from the cities won’t fix that. I think the USD transfer will help … but that’s just a 1 year band aid. 

I agree with this.  And, we don't seem to find anywhere to get production out of them except the UND TE Graveyard.  So maybe try something else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I agree with this.  And, we don't seem to find anywhere to get production out of them except the UND TE Graveyard.  So maybe try something else.

Only 1 person in ND can fix the TE problem… JIMMY KLEINSASSER! Would be pretty cool to see him back on the sidelines!!

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

QB Depth is more important, IMO.  And never know if one will transfer.

Agree, doubt they would switch either of them this fall.  Fall of 2024 if Schuster does stay another year, and if Kaminski is ahead of Feeney....wouldn't be surprised if Feeney transfer to somewhere he can play.  Although if Schuster is gone Fall of 2024 it could be Kaminski and Feeney battling it out.  I could see Romfo changing positions at some point unless he is still ahead of Feeney on depth chart. 

25 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Wonder if they are looking at him for OL or DL.  Since we already got a lot of OL recruits in this class...I was thinking DL.  But after watching his hudl.....maybe as a Gaurd on the OL? 

He signed in December, and was announced on the DL.

37 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Agree, doubt they would switch either of them this fall.  Fall of 2024 if Schuster does stay another year, and if Kaminski is ahead of Feeney....wouldn't be surprised if Feeney transfer to somewhere he can play.  Although if Schuster is gone Fall of 2024 it could be Kaminski and Feeney battling it out.  I could see Romfo changing positions at some point unless he is still ahead of Feeney on depth chart. 

Kaminski needs to prove he can play before any of that would be considered.

• Upvote 1