SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Recruiting

Hambone

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GoHawks said:

Trey Patrick, DB,ATH recently committed to Pitt State says his recruitment is open again. He had UND as one of his last 3 teams. Wonder if UND staff is still interested in him?

My question is, why did Pitt State not honor his commitment? Seems a little suspicious.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/20/2023 at 3:59 PM, AJS said:

Jacquez Barksdale - Coffeyville CC

He'll be announcing his commitment in 48 hours. Recently visited UND as well as Buffalo.  

Committed to Buffalo. The transfer situation has been brutal post Spring ball.

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Ouch. No NIL deals to sway any potential transfer I see …

Ya, why not throw $10,000-$20,000 at these targeted portal players???  Doesn't make any sense, like we're trying to not land good players.  Nice locker rooms isn't going to get it done.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gundy1124 said:

Ya, why not throw $10,000-$20,000 at these targeted portal players???  Doesn't make any sense, like we're trying to not land good players.  Nice locker rooms isn't going to get it done.

Agreed

I’m sure the REA has all kinds of funds that could be adapted to NIL for football student-athletes, but we know those funds are locked up tight just for ice skaters. Shame, shame, shame …

anyways, UND football needs support given the contemporary dynamics of recruiting. Need more funds for NIL, need donors/alumni to step up and get NIL deals funded for the coaching staff to move UND football forward. 

• Upvote 1

If the NCAA is going to do this right, at least on paper they should keep schools and coaches out of it. The athletes should need to approach businesses on their own to arrange their own deals. If they wish NIL deals to include association with the University, including wearing the uniform, using school names or logos etc. the University should get a percent of the deal. 
I’m  not naive enough to think the NCAA would consider this, much less enforce it. However before we set up an NIL fund there should be businesses that would be willing to contract with athletes for an NIL deal. The school should know who they are and have appropriate contact info. 

7 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

If the NCAA is going to do this right, at least on paper they should keep schools and coaches out of it. The athletes should need to approach businesses on their own to arrange their own deals. If they wish NIL deals to include association with the University, including wearing the uniform, using school names or logos etc. the University should get a percent of the deal. 
I’m  not naive enough to think the NCAA would consider this, much less enforce it. However before we set up an NIL fund there should be businesses that would be willing to contract with athletes for an NIL deal. The school should know who they are and have appropriate contact info. 

By the time that happens I fear everyone will be doing it, no advantage.

Right now all that is needed is an anonymous tip on which player and how badly we want him. (probably the current NDSU way)

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

By the time that happens I fear everyone will be doing it, no advantage.

Right now all that is needed is an anonymous tip on which player and how badly we want him. (probably the current NDSU way)

Yup. There is a way to connect those willing to contract with athletes with the athletes.  

35 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I’m sure the REA has all kinds of funds that could be adapted to NIL for football student-athletes, but we know those funds are locked up tight just for ice skaters. Shame, shame, shame …

What about the funds that pay for summer school for athletes, including football players? Those don't seem to be just for ice skaters. But again, why let reality get in the way of your senseless rambling.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

You’re having trouble completing (recruiting) so your solution is to buy your players?  Money isn’t your problem but it’s fun listening to you guys dance around the real answers.

You have posted some reasonable responses. Don’t start the immature crap that destroys discussions. UND isn’t buying players. Most of us aren’t going to deal with NIL. We do need to improve coaches salaries so funding is an on going issue. NIL is out there so schools, including yours and ours, need to be proactive. Recruiting has improved year to year. I assume you meant competing. While NDSU has the advantage of the National Championships other schools including UND have made some inroads. 

If this is how you have fun it should be more concerning than UND losing a recruit to NDSU. Spend time with family or friends instead of other school’s  forums. Do like I do and waste time on your own forum when you have nothing else to do.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

I think GF has several such businesses, and I know our fan/alumni base has enough leaders to spearhead this thing. Although keeping coaches and university out of it would be nice, that’s impossible considering how intimately everything is connected at UND. At a minimum, the coaching staff will need to be privy to the deals available. If this recruiting season has demonstrating anything, though, it’s that UND needs to up its recruiting game, and NIL deals are naturally the next direction to turn to. Where are we with setting this up? I - amongst others - have potential $ to provide to this. Get dollars *legally* into the potential recruits and transfer targets’ hands so we can get some big name commits. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

What about the funds that pay for summer school for athletes, including football players? Those don't seem to be just for ice skaters. But again, why let reality get in the way of your senseless rambling.

You’re right, let’s just keep it at that [not]. I’m sure summer school for football players will attract a bunch of recruits and transfer targets. The FACTS are UND has missed on too many recruiting targets, they have not beat NDSU since 2003, and the REA has excess funds that they pointlessly recycle into their facility for the benefit of, and solely of, UND hockey. But, again, for the 1000th time in the past few days, funding is only a piece of the puzzle. Need better marketing and prioritization. Does UND *actually* want to win a FCS title or not?? If so, then up the game across the board, including holding the coaches to a higher standard, terminate if not getting it done, and hire elsewhere. Most importantly, as this thread alludes to, is to improve recruiting. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

You have posted some reasonable responses. Don’t start the immature crap that destroys discussions. UND isn’t buying players. Most of us aren’t going to deal with NIL. We do need to improve coaches salaries so funding is an on going issue. NIL is out there so schools, including yours and ours, need to be proactive. Recruiting has improved year to year. I assume you meant competing. While NDSU has the advantage of the National Championships other schools including UND have made some inroads. 

If this is how you have fun it should be more concerning than UND losing a recruit to NDSU. Spend time with family or friends instead of other school’s  forums. Do like I do and waste time on your own forum when you have nothing else to do.  

IMO NIL is a terrible thing for college athletes and yes if a recruit decides on a school because of NIL then that school is buying their players.  How do the people running the NIL know which players the coaches want or is after they offer them?

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You’re right, let’s just keep it at that [not]. I’m sure summer school for football players will attract a bunch of recruits and transfer targets. The FACTS are UND has missed on too many recruiting targets, they have not beat NDSU since 2003, and the REA has excess funds that they pointlessly recycle into their facility for the benefit of, and solely of, UND hockey. But, again, for the 1000th time in the past few days, funding is only a piece of the puzzle. Need better marketing and prioritization. Does UND *actually* want to win a FCS title or not?? If so, then up the game across the board, including holding the coaches to a higher standard, terminate if not getting it done, and hire elsewhere. Most importantly, as this thread alludes to, is to improve recruiting. 

You: REA/Engelstad Foundation doesn't help other sports!!!

Someone else: Who do you think is backing summer school scholarships so student athletes can stay on campus, be with teammates and train properly to get better?

You: LOUD NOISES

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2