SiouxSports.com Forum

Cornell @ UND -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

Let's face reality,  This team disappoints on so many level and so often that it makes them hard to watch.  Just when you think they are figuring out what kind of team they want to be they lay an egg.  We have no top end forwards, this team has four lines worth of puck possession players that can't create space or offensive opportunities. Our d-men look like they are trying to pick up the slack and end up leaving us vulnerable with odd man chances going the other way.  I am resigned to hoping this team can hold on through the second half of the season, make the tournament, and maybe by the grace of god string together 4 wins.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, LynahFaithful said:

Cornell fan here.  We actually are a decent squad and not a walk-over the way some seem to have expected.  ASU was an anomaly.  However, NoDak outplayed us for much of last night.  When we were able to penetrate the D despite NoDak being up 3-1, that surprised me.  I don't think Driscoll was entirely to blame for the comeback.

Also: if you guys who "don't think he's all that he's cracked up to be" don't want Sanderson, we'll take him.  He was making plays on and off the puck all night that showed his quality.  Fabulous talent.

Good luck the rest of the way (except tonight).  I regret we didn't have the chance to meet in 2020 when we were 1 and 2.

Hey, thanks for your input. Nice to hear from rival fans who aren't trash talking.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Bleedn Green said:

We have no top end forwards

I have high expectations for Gaber in his next few years. 
I also think a couple of our freshmen could develop into excellent college forwards. 
But for this year, it’s a little bleak for sure. 

Reminded me of the Miami game a few years back with a 3rd period collapse. This one: 

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/box/final/20170113/mia/ndk/

USCHO has a weekly article discussing the betting odds of games. Twice this year I've thought Vegas was way off. One was Western vs Michigan, which was +400 for Western (bet 100 to win 400). The other was last night, +225 Cornell.

1 hour ago, Bleedn Green said:

Let's face reality,  This team disappoints on so many level and so often that it makes them hard to watch.  Just when you think they are figuring out what kind of team they want to be they lay an egg.  We have no top end forwards, this team has four lines worth of puck possession players that can't create space or offensive opportunities. Our d-men look like they are trying to pick up the slack and end up leaving us vulnerable with odd man chances going the other way.  I am resigned to hoping this team can hold on through the second half of the season, make the tournament, and maybe by the grace of god string together 4 wins.  

It has certainly been a tough team to watch this year. We all know they can play and beat anyone this year but they can also lose to teams they should beat. No offense to Cornell but they had no business winning that game last night and with a lapse on defense and a goaltender who is just struggling they coughed up the win in about a 6 minute span. The inconsistency, the lack of mental toughness is the hardest part. 

30 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I have high expectations for Gaber in his next few years. 
I also think a couple of our freshmen could develop into excellent college forwards. 
But for this year, it’s a little bleak for sure. 

Gaber is a very good compliment forward and would absolutely shine with if we had a sniper and a grinder put with him. But he can't carry this team.  We do have some young talent but to date IMO no one has stepped up and distinguished themselves.  It's like everyone on the team is looking for someone else to step up.  I was expecting more from the transfers we brought in, it seems like most other teams kept their seniors, where we were gutted.  I would rather watch freshmen come in and make freshmen mistakes and gain valuable experience rather watch an underachieving senior tie up a roster spot.

• Upvote 1

I agree they can beat any team out there on any given night.  They have also displayed the fact they can lose to anybody on any given night.  That is why I just hope we can make the tourney and string together a few wins.   This team is going to need a few bounces down the stretch and stay out of the box.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LynahFaithful said:

Cornell fan here.  We actually are a decent squad and not a walk-over the way some seem to have expected.  ASU was an anomaly.  However, NoDak outplayed us for much of last night.  When we were able to penetrate the D despite NoDak being up 3-1, that surprised me.  I don't think Driscoll was entirely to blame for the comeback.

Also: if you guys who "don't think he's all that he's cracked up to be" don't want Sanderson, we'll take him.  He was making plays on and off the puck all night that showed his quality.  Fabulous talent.

Good luck the rest of the way (except tonight).  I regret we didn't have the chance to meet in 2020 when we were 1 and 2.

Glad you stopped by. I don’t know where the off base assessment of Cornell’s team was coming from. It was a matchup of 2 top 15 teams so it was weird to see some of the comments. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

Glad you stopped by. I don’t know where the off base assessment of Cornell’s team was coming from. It was a matchup of 2 top 15 teams so it was weird to see some of the comments. 

Cornell was 26th in pairwise that's why 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Green Banner said:

Don't understand some choices goalies make when they leave early. Just look at the guys that came before you and how many r in the NHL

Not drafted, get a chance to possibly play for the NHL one day and a lot of money, more than you’ve seen before, sooo……… But he definitely should’ve stayed! 

5 hours ago, FightingSU said:

I guess. I’m just underwhelmed with this team lately. Ugh. 

Honestly I have been thinking the same thing all year. I don't think he is at the level he was at the end of last year. In that marathon regional final, it looked like he could have played the entire game getting better as the game went on and should have ended it multiple times. To me this season he seems like he doesn't have the same stamina. Obviously an enormous talent but I was hoping he would be able to control the game much better like Perunovich did for UMD. He does it in spurts but not nearly as consistently as Perunovich did. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Irish said:

I just don't get how a seasoned goalie with his stats last year can come to a better program with perhaps the best goalie coach in college hockey and play like he has.

Playing devil’s advocate…

Wouldn’t Driscoll’s performance to date coupled with the fact that the Freshmen aren’t able to challenge him for playing time run counter to the narrative that Karl is “perhaps the best goalie coach in college hockey?”

20 minutes ago, Snake said:

Playing devil’s advocate…

Wouldn’t Driscoll’s performance to date coupled with the fact that the Freshmen aren’t able to challenge him for playing time run counter to the narrative that Karl is “perhaps the best goalie coach in college hockey?”

That's one interpretation - I don't buy it, however.  In order to believe that you would have to believe that not only did Karl not help him improve but he actually made him much worse.  I suppose it's possible but not very probable.  However what happened is a big mystery to me - just doesn't make sense.