SiouxSports.com Forum

Cornell @ UND -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

4 minutes ago, bcblues said:

Never said UND was a broken program. Far from it. Yes, we lost a bunch of top notch seniors last year. And covid crap didn't help us having to play Omaha ad infinitum. But it is on the coach to mold and form both the character and form of the team.

Sorry, I was being hyperbolic. I personally don't think our character/culture is bad in any way, shape, or form. I simply think it's that this team MUST play one way to win and that's constant energy and pressure. We lack consistent scoring and goaltending needed to win games in which we have an off night.

Just a struggle of a year, so far. With that said, we're still fine in the PWR and 6 points up in conference and we still very much control our way forward and have shown the ability to beat anyone we play. It's just HAS to be done with all out energy for a whole game. Tonight, we let down for five minutes and it fell apart. Super frustrating.

48 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Well some errors perhaps in recruiting or rotating players, mental preparation to name a few. 

Not sure I buy the recruiting aspect as I see a rather loaded pipeline. The mass exodus after last season was filled with 14 guys and that's the reality of keeping a huge chunk of guys for four years. Unfortunately, it happened and here we are. Keeping Rizzo certainly seems like we would have gotten a boost, but wouldn't solve our problems this year and I'm still not upset we lost Morrow. I'm confident the right choice was made on not bringing him in. What moves, other than giving Hellesten a good look, would you like to see in terms of rotating players? I liked our lineup tonight. 

Mental preparation is hard because outside of five minutes tonight, we came to play. I think there's certainly been times this year we've played flat, and that is Bubbs' job, I agree. Overall, I feel like our guys play mentally hard, but we just lack consistent scoring to make up for those times we play flat. 

Feels like a year where we have to play perfect to win. Feels like a whole mashup of reasons. 

Sigh. 

14 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

This team played too hard and too well to lose a game like this

Yep. This team's margin for error is so small and we've gotten spoiled over the years with teams that could make up for bad lapses in play. This year's team just doesn't have the luxury.

All I can say is I watched this game with an old friend that has seen a lot of hockey like me, and we were both flabbergasted by the meltdown in period 3.  Dominated most of the stats, except save percentage.  Play Helsten tomorrow.  The experiment is over with Driscol.

57 minutes ago, Prison_Mike said:

Every game that Sanderson is in the lineup is a must win. That included last night. 

I don’t really think Sanderson does as much as everyone claims. He gets the puck back every now and then but personally I don’t think he seems to be all he is cracked up to be idk. 

• Downvote 2

Tonight is a must win. We’ve been able to pull thru and stay higher in rankings, standings and PWR with losing on Fridays. Maybe just knocking rust off last night on top of Driscoll extremely poor performance. Outside if Driscoll I thought the boys played well until the last few mins. We can still win tonight and push thru the season. But the goaltending needs to improve NOW and we need to start having some consistency now… it’s second half. Let’s go!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

I don’t really think Sanderson does as much as everyone claims. He gets the puck back every now and then but personally I don’t think he seems to be all he is cracked up to be idk. 

Really? Buddy, he's arguably the best all-around defenseman this program has ever seen. If you don't see that, you are missing too much of what he does, apparently. 

Did anyone see where Hain was injured? I thought at first he was the one crashing into the net but that was Senden. I was too focused on the goal that was let in on that play that I didn’t see Hain get hurt. That series of events really set the tone for the rest of the game. 

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Really? Buddy, he's arguably the best all-around defenseman this program has ever seen. If you don't see that, you are missing too much of what he does, apparently. 

I guess. I’m just underwhelmed with this team lately. Ugh.