SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

17 minutes ago, zonadub said:

I have a question or two, because I am just a dumb fan who only played football as far as high school and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night…

UND is in its 15th year as an FCS football program. Why, at the beginning of this season were predictions by those in the know on this board topping out at getting to the playoffs? There were many whose ‘hope’ was to win a playoff game and even a few who targeted a national championship game appearance. But the overwhelming expectation was that UND would finish the season at 7-4 and make the playoffs or 6-5 and miss the playoffs. And now, halfway through the season, that appears to be a very accurate prediction.

I am going to expose my old age, but why isn’t UND expected to win conference championships and make deep runs in and through the playoffs, as it was during NCC and DII days? After all, the powers in the MVFC and FCS, NDSU and SDSU (which was not considered a football power then) were members of the NCC when UND’s teams were expected to be in the title conversations every year and not expected to finish barely over .500?

We don’t have the talent of the SU’s, some say we can’t get that top talent because of Bubba, it’s just really tough to recruit the same talent to GF over Fargo. We are getting better but this transfer portal has been brutal to UND. We don’t have an elite program so to me it’s hard to expect a national championship every year.

11 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

We don’t have the talent of the SU’s, some say we can’t get that top talent because of Bubba, it’s just really tough to recruit the same talent to GF over Fargo. We are getting better but this transfer portal has been brutal to UND. We don’t have an elite program so to me it’s hard to expect a national championship every year.

Just stop with the talent thing.  We lost on Saturday because we turned the ball over 3 times and gave the game away.  Win a few of these BIG games and the portal will be your friend.  We gave the Jacks a pick 6 and they started 3 drives inside our 20 yard line

The 2 previous games vs SDSU we won and and lost the other by a TD and had a chance late.

Talent is just an excuse.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Midwestern Hawk said:

Just stop with the talent thing.  We lost on Saturday because we turned the ball over 3 times and gave the game away.  Win a few of these BIG games and the portal will be your friend.

Whose OL or DL would you rather have? I’d pick SDSU in a heartbeat! Those lines will lead them deep in the playoffs. Maybe our OL will be that good in a couple years…

5 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Whose OL or DL would you rather have? I’d pick SDSU in a heartbeat! Those lines will lead them deep in the playoffs. Maybe our OL will be that good in a couple years…

It's coaching.  I'm tired of the excuses.  If we don't hand SDSU 28 points on Saturday we win with our crappy(in your words, not mine) OL and DL...

A huge problem which is never addressed on this forum is our team only plays well from behind and seems to have no idea how to protect a lead.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

It's coaching.  I'm tired of the excuses.  If we don't hand SDSU 28 points on Saturday we win with our crappy(in your words, not mine) OL and DL...

A huge problem which is never addressed on this forum is our team only plays well from behind and seems to have no idea how to protect a lead.

Outside the one decade in the D2 era when has UND been able to recruit better talent than SU. Yes SDSU wasn’t relevant back then but wasn’t drug around back then? Hard to blame coaching when UND has always struggled. 

15 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

You just summarized the problem. Low expectations lead to average results. Think big, dream bigger..........or become Golden Gopher Football!!! :p

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Outside the one decade in the D2 era when has UND been able to recruit better talent than SU. Yes SDSU wasn’t relevant back then but wasn’t drug around back then? Hard to blame coaching when UND has always struggled. 

Always struggled?  I thought you were a self proclaimed expert on UND football and football in general?  How about you make me a list of excuses?

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

UND would be buried in coach and other athletic department contract buyouts, players would be reluctant to come play for a place that is run by knee-jerk reactions and no stability and UND would have zero partners that would want to work with them. But other than that, yep, things would be great!!

"Biggest football fans" is an interesting way to spin it. Throw a few others in there who are just as bad or rose and I'm not sure outside of NDSU fans that there is anyone else who gets more some sort of twisted satisfaction when UND struggles or loses.

Whatever makes you feel good about the status quo. It’s not all perfect. It’s not all that bad. Somewhere in between.

In Fargo, the fans are something else, but their demands for a winning football team have led to several championships, so there’s that fact you can’t overlook. 

43 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I think if you look it up UND has a winning record against the 3 dakota schools all time....

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I’m also convinced at the end of Bubbas contract if this team isn’t winning we will see a coaching change. Pointless to harp on a coaching change until then.

Unfortunately, Bubba gets contract extensions even after losing seasons. I’m not convinced. He’s more likely to retire in 5 years rather than get fired. That’s where the UND athletic department and Bill Chaves deserves plenty of criticism. The expectations for non-hockey sports just aren’t there, and that just won’t work. Although Grand Forks is close, UND is not in Canada and it’s still a member of the NCAA. Losing sight of the potential of football and basketball is a horrible mistake. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Just stop with the talent thing.  We lost on Saturday because we turned the ball over 3 times and gave the game away.  Win a few of these BIG games and the portal will be your friend.  We gave the Jacks a pick 6 and they started 3 drives inside our 20 yard line. 

The 2 previous games vs SDSU we won and and lost the other by a TD and had a chance late.

Talent is just an excuse.

I think most everyone would say SDSU at this point has bigger/more talented players than us. at this point.  However, we did beat them in Spring 2020 and very close on the road last fall.  Actually, to me that says our coaches must be pretty good if we have slightly inferior talent but can still win.  Hopefully that means as they continue to build the quality of that talent and when we are equal in talent we will be able to win more often than we lose when we play the SU's.  Just because I'm saying that doesn't mean I think that I think Bubba is the best coach in the world.  I actually don't think his contract should have been extended when it was, and unless we have some playoff success this year and next year, I hope it's not.  But I'm not going to rip on the coaches every single time a player makes a mistake etc..  But because some of us don't rip on the coaches and program non-stop, a few of you love claiming that the rest of us love .500 football.  Which is about as true as when we say you aren't a real fan.  Neither of those are true, we are all big fans, we all want and expect to start getting some conference titles and ultimately a National Championship. 

Actually I think this fall you haven't been that bad.  Last year you were ripping on Tommy and his arm....3-4 times a week.  Tommy has shown he is a pretty productive FCS QB, especially this year now that he is running a little more and I think even you see he's a pretty good QB. Doesn't mean he is perfect, deep balls are still a struggle for sure and that has been frustrating.  And the thing is, it's not necessarily due to arm strength all of the time.  The first play against SDSU he over threw the ball so it wasn't that.  

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Actually I think this fall you haven't been that bad.  Last year you were ripping on Tommy and his arm....3-4 times a week.  Tommy has shown he is a pretty productive FCS QB, especially this year now that he is running a little more and I think even you see he's a pretty good QB. Doesn't mean he is perfect, deep balls are still a struggle for sure and that has been frustrating.  And the thing is, it's not necessarily due to arm strength all of the time.  The first play against SDSU he over threw the ball so it wasn't that.  

Maybe the coaches will "magically" prove to be above average all due to the criticism they got on this board just like Tommy did? All that negative energy must have really fueled him to be the best he can be, not a misjudgment of his actual talent level.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Maybe the coaches will "magically" prove to be above average all due to the criticism they got on this board just like Tommy did? All that negative energy must have really fueled him to be the best he can be, not a misjudgment of his actual talent level.

tommy is 9-9 in his last 18 games with his wins coming against......................................

idaho state 1-10

drake 2-8

western illinois 2-9

youngstown state 3-7

illinois state 4-7

northern iowa 4-4

missouri state 2-5

youngstown state 4-3

northern arizona 3-5

let's pump the breaks a bit...he hits that relatively easy bomb on the first play and the roof blows off the alerus...but

day by day

*for gosioux

southern illinois 6-4

south dakota state 8-1

south dakota 1-3

western illinois 1-5

missouri state 5-5

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

tommy is 9-9 in his last 18 games with his wins coming against......................................

idaho state 1-10

drake 2-8

western illinois 2-9

youngstown state 3-7

illinois state 4-7

northern iowa 4-4

missouri state 2-5

youngstown state 4-3

northern arizona 3-5

let's pump the breaks a bit...he hits that relatively easy bomb on the first play and the roof blows off the alerus...but

day by day

Now do 2020

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

I think most everyone would say SDSU at this point has bigger/more talented players than us. at this point.  However, we did beat them in Spring 2020 and very close on the road last fall.  Actually, to me that says our coaches must be pretty good if we have slightly inferior talent but can still win.  Hopefully that means as they continue to build the quality of that talent and when we are equal in talent we will be able to win more often than we lose when we play the SU's.  Just because I'm saying that doesn't mean I think that I think Bubba is the best coach in the world.  I actually don't think his contract should have been extended when it was, and unless we have some playoff success this year and next year, I hope it's not.  But I'm not going to rip on the coaches every single time a player makes a mistake etc..  But because some of us don't rip on the coaches and program non-stop, a few of you love claiming that the rest of us love .500 football.  Which is about as true as when we say you aren't a real fan.  Neither of those are true, we are all big fans, we all want and expect to start getting some conference titles and ultimately a National Championship. 

Tommy's running this season has made the difference for me.  

On the talent, what are you basing that on?  Everyone talks about the OL and DL of NDSU and SDSU.  At FCS level, the OL and DL are built, not recruited.