SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ St Cloud - Redemption Game - Sat Dec 4th 2021

SiouxFan100

6 minutes ago, bcblues said:

Now Berry just needs to figure out a way to compel the team to play like they did tonight two nights in a row.

For as inconsistent as we've been we've weathered it fairly well considering.  That tells me that the other NCHC teams have had problems with consistency also.  

8 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

For as inconsistent as we've been we've weathered it fairly well considering.  That tells me that the other NCHC teams have had problems with consistency also.  

Sure, Western went to Denver got swept then swept St. Cloud. Denver swept Western after being swept by UND. IRC, Denver finally won a game outside of Colorado last night. I think there's a lot of parity this year. 

9 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Tonight’s win takes the sting off last night’s Michigan lacrosse goal which, I thought was kind of a dick move by that guy for doing when the game was clearly in hand for St. Cloud. 

You keep the pressure on and try score any which way you can. If a UND player did that and got all the buzz from ESPN Sportscenter we would be loving it. Thought the St. Cloud coach had Brodzinski out there on one too many power plays with the game in hand, but hey UND should have had a little more pushback in that situation.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Goon said:

Sure, Western went to Denver got swept then swept St. Cloud. Denver swept Western after being swept by UND. IRC, Denver finally won a game outside of Colorado last night. I think there's a lot of parity this year. 

Western at top of pairwise 

16 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Tonight’s win takes the sting off last night’s Michigan lacrosse goal which, I thought was kind of a dick move by that guy for doing when the game was clearly in hand for St. Cloud. 

Without the help of several posts and cross bars we could have hung 8 or 9 on them tonight.

30 minutes ago, Goon said:

It’s been a weird year so far. I like it 

19 minutes ago, tnt said:

Thought the St. Cloud coach had Brodzinski out there on one too many power plays with the game in hand, but hey UND should have had a little more pushback in that situation.

Or any pushback at all. Ha!  :D 

15 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Without the help of several posts and cross bars we could have hung 8 or 9 on them tonight.

Or Ness missing that one tap in.  Not sure how that didn't go in.

3 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

It’s been a weird year so far. I like it 

It keeps it wide open for NCAA's.  Make the tourney and any team could win it.

27 minutes ago, tnt said:

You keep the pressure on and try score any which way you can. If a UND player did that and got all the buzz from ESPN Sportscenter we would be loving it. Thought the St. Cloud coach had Brodzinski out there on one too many power plays with the game in hand, but hey UND should have had a little more pushback in that situation.

St. Cloud fans would be saying it was a dick move too if the tables were turned. Regardless, we did enough to embarrass ourselves last night and in a perverse sort of way, if that goal got under the skin of our guys and helped them in any way tonight, then I’m glad he did it even though it was unnecessary. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Its really all of college hockey there is no dominant team it feels like anyone can win on a given night 

2 hours ago, mattim said:

What kind of comment is that? We just split with a top 5 team on the road, we did play a horrid game last night, but “on the road”, we turned it around tonight against possibly the best or at least top 3 best teams in the country. I thought it was a gutty win and a win that was absolutely necessary for this team at this time! Good game boys and good coaching, the other team’s coach had extremely skilled  players to work with. 

?? For a team that almost let minny tie it last Saturday it looked like it was about to happen tonight. Need to close these games out better. Instead of an empty net goal we took a damn penalty. At some point it may cost this team. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nodakgirl93 said:

?? For a team that almost let minny tie it last Saturday it looked like it was about to happen tonight. Need to close these games out better. Instead of an empty net goal we took a damn penalty. At some point it may cost this team. 

I didn't see the last 2min that way at all.  I just rewatched it on NCHC.tv too, and it was the same as I remember.

Those last 2min were Sioux hockey!  I lost count of how many blocked shots UND had.  Sanderson blocked like 3 in a row, one right in his chest.  When the best player in college hockey is putting his body out there like that, that says something.  SCSU pulled their goalie on the 4x4 to make it a 5x4, then again after the Jamernik penalty to have a 6x4.  SCSU has the best PP in the nation, and UND kept them to the outside for that entire 2min, got in passing lanes whenever they tried to go inside.  SCSU also missed the net a bit and many shots got deflected.  Other than the penalty (which looks to have been aided by a bit of a dive), UND closed that game out very well IMO.  SCSU had maybe 2-3 shots get to the net that entire last 2min.

Also, watching the replay, the Jamernik penalty definitely happened prior to the Kleven ENG.  Kleven had just taken possession when it happened, and then he shot the puck.  The refs made the right call there in not allowing it.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, brianvf said:

I didn't see the last 2min that way at all.  I just rewatched it on NCHC.tv too, and it was the same as I remember.

Those last 2min were Sioux hockey!  I lost count of how many blocked shots UND had.  Sanderson blocked like 3 in a row, one right in his chest.  When the best player in college hockey is putting his body out there like that, that says something.  SCSU pulled their goalie on the 4x4 to make it a 5x4, then again after the Jamernik penalty to have a 6x4.  SCSU has the best PP in the nation, and UND kept them to the outside for that entire 2min, got in passing lanes whenever they tried to go inside.  SCSU also missed the net a bit and many shots got deflected.  Other than the penalty (which looks to have been aided by a bit of a dive), UND closed that game out very well IMO.  SCSU had maybe 2-3 shots get to the net that entire last 2min.

Also, watching the replay, the Jamernik penalty definitely happened prior to the Kleven ENG.  Kleven had just taken possession when it happened, and then he shot the puck.  The refs made the right call there in not allowing it.

And if the huskies would have scored or minny had tied it up last weekend you would be thinking differently.

9 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

That empty netter appeared to happen before the penalty so that should have closed it out.  I just saw it in real time so I may go back and have another look.

21 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

That empty netter appeared to happen before the penalty so that should have closed it out.  I just saw it in real time so I may go back and have another look.

Nope looks like call on the ice was correct.  Frisch pushes his man into the net just before Kleven gets possession of the puck and shoots it into empty net.  Refs hand was going up for delayed penalty before Kleven shot puck down the ice.

1 minute ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Yes I said would have. They definitely had time in our end cycling to get chances. If people are okay with the team closing out games in our zone giving the opponent chances ..... 

Almost all games are closed out like that because the opponent is essentially on a power play when they pull their goalie.  According to your logic we should spend all our time on the PK in the opponents zone instead of defending in our own zone.  Doesn't make sense.  Not trying to offend but think of it as killing a penalty when goalie gets pulled we go down 6 on 5.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Almost all games are closed out like that because the opponent is essentially on a power play when they pull their goalie.  According to your logic we should spend all our time on the PK in the opponents zone instead of defending in our own zone.  Doesn't make sense.  Not trying to offend but think of it as killing a penalty when goalie gets pulled we go down 6 on 5.  

Hence the term "extra attacker".

13 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

If I was a soccer coach I would play the whole game with my goalie pulled since there are almost never any shots on goal and my team would spend the whole game with the extra attacker.

Great Saturday win again! Fortunate?
There seems to be something about the team being ready to play each weekend.
Need to win some Friday games, as a Saturday loss here and there could get us to bubble territory?
Alarming, in that the first night losses are so much more a beating than the payback the next night.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Which is why you don't give the opposing team the chance to pull the goalie... Miami lost the natty game against bu years back in the same situation.