SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ St Cloud - Redemption Game - Sat Dec 4th 2021

SiouxFan100

2 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

I hope your right but my gut says there is a better chance none of them see regular shifts in the NHL.

I guess time will tell.  I guess the way I look at this is that as the season wears on to tournament time a good shutdown line becomes just as important as a good scoring punch.  Look at when the Frattin team lost to Mich. their defense beat our high powered offense.  Just depends what side of the puck you look at I guess.

12 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I guess time will tell.  I guess the way I look at this is that as the season wears on to tournament time a good shutdown line becomes just as important as a good scoring punch.  Look at when the Frattin team lost to Mich. their defense beat our high powered offense.  Just depends what side of the puck you look at I guess.

Nobody is disagreeing with the importance of a shutdown line. You're just exaggerating how good the Jammer line is. Is it a decent line that can be effective? Sure. Is it the best line in all of college hockey? No, not even close.

2 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Nobody is disagreeing with the importance of a shutdown line. You're just exaggerating how good the Jammer line is. Is it a decent line that can be effective? Sure. Is it the best line in all of college hockey? No, not even close.

I say they are the best 200 foot line in College hockey.

3 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

As the season wears on open space becomes harder to come by and that's when you see the elite scorers come to light.

You seem kind of delusional. What is your definition of elite scorer.  Don’t think Berry himself would refer to anyone on that line as an elite scorer, hence Senden’s first two goal game since high school last week.  Nobody is disparaging their importance to the team, but I don’t know anyone including themselves, would refer to them as elite scorers.

• Upvote 2

Elite scorers like Frattin,Caguilla (sp), or Pinto? I haven’t seen one in this group…..yet. It doesn’t mean that this team can’t win, they have proved that, especially on Saturday nights. I do miss watching someone carry the mail, with an opponent hanging on him and still score. But hey, every season is a little or a lot different than the last. Every team seems to be dealing with their own ups and downs. I like where our team is right now. Remember when Hak’s teams would be sucking eggs till Xmas and all of the sudden turn on after? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

But Michigan did it the old-fashioned way with a hot goalie and not a shutdown line.  Speaking of which, I’m more worried about having a trustworthy goaltender than a shutdown line come tournament time. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Snake said:

But Michigan did it the old-fashioned way with a hot goalie and not a shutdown line.  Speaking of which, I’m more worried about having a trustworthy goaltender than a shutdown line come tournament time. 

As Barry Melrose told me as he was enjoying a cigar in the Bench outside the Embassy Suites on Friday morning. Michigan got away with playing 60 minutes not to lose and got away with it. UND would probably beat them 9 out of 10 or maybe 17 out of 20.

7 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I disagree.  Look back to 2016 do we win a natty without the heavy line.  Most rational thinkers would say no way.  What is more important, scoring goals or preventing the other team from scoring goals?  When it comes to tournament time shutting down a teams top line wins championships more than trying to outscore a team.  I won't budge from my opinion.

Interesting. I always thought that scoring more goals than the other team wins the game.

3 hours ago, tnt said:

You seem kind of delusional. What is your definition of elite scorer.  Don’t think Berry himself would refer to anyone on that line as an elite scorer, hence Senden’s first two goal game since high school last week.  Nobody is disparaging their importance to the team, but I don’t know anyone including themselves, would refer to them as elite scorers.

I never said the Jammer line has elite scorers. I said as the season wears on time and space become less and the elite scorers will show themselves as they will find ways to score. 

30 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Interesting. I always thought that scoring more goals than the other team wins the game.

Yes you need to out score the other team. By out scoring I meant winning games 6-5, 5-4 etc vs shutting down the other team and winning the 2-1 type games by limiting the other teams scoring chances. A team like Michigan plays kind of sloppy defense but doesn’t mind when they can score 5, 6, 7 goals a lot of games and win in a scoring fest which is not what suits our team best.

7 hours ago, brianvf said:

I think Gaber has potential for that role.
Dude has a wicked sweet wrister.  Much like Duncan, he even has his "spot" on the PP.

I agree, remembering Duncan from the "spot". The opposing goalie could even have full view of Ryan when he would take the shot... It didn't matter, the puck would be in the net!