SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT Friday - Minnesota vs NoDak at The Ralph - 2 storied programs that helped put college hockey on the map.

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

You’re only going to learn by playing. Johnson needs to be in the line up. Berry picking Johnson over Morrow looks laughable. Johnson could have used another year in the USHL clearly. What an awful decision. Berry deserves more criticism than he gets for that one.

Just now, AJS said:

You’re only going to learn by playing. Johnson needs to be in the line up. Berry picking Johnson over Morrow looks laughable. Johnson could have used another year in the USHL clearly. What an awful decision. Berry deserves more criticism than he gets for that one.

Grindaz over blue chippaz any day of week

Just now, AJS said:

I've seen Morrow play and he wouldn't be playing at UND. He's lazy in his own end, can't play the kill, slow, and skating isn't there

11 minutes ago, AJS said:

A click harsh…but yeah, johnson not in the lineup at this point is laughable. Driscoll looked dumb on that one goal, but Ferner got absolutely walked right before that.

10 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

This has to be a joke. He’s going to play in the WJC this year too.

Yeah, he's 2nd on the UMass team in scoring.  As a freshman defenseman.  He's at almost a pt/gm pace right now.
I don't pretend to know all the in's and out's as to why he packed up and picked UMass instead...but if the real reason was because Berry wanted Johnson to come in instead and push Morrow back...then that decision is looking very foolish right now.

This one's on the players. Ralph was ready for something big to happen. Biggest crowd of season so far. They played uninspired, lazy at times and undisciplined. They did nothing to ingite what could have been a super atmosphere.

• Upvote 4

Minnesota moves the puck really really well. Better team than their record. They should easily be a top 10 team in the country at least. 

I don’t understand why Gaber was on his weak side on both the 5x3 and the 6x5. Guy is lights out on his strong side. Moving him over is dumb. 

Special teams suck. That needs to change. If they aren’t going to get the “blue chippas derrpp” can they at least get some guys that can kill penalties? Also stop taking dumb penalties against teams with a good power play. Far too many too many men penalties lately. 

I highly doubt it was as simple as them thinking Johnson was more ready than Morrow. They evaluate talent professionally, and are obviously very good at it.  The latter had an interesting journey through juniors, with a few programs left hanging. It could be they and he just thought UND wasn't a good cultural fit any longer.  If that's it, I respect their desire to protect the culture. 

I thought the last two periods were pretty even from a possession and chances standpoint.  Then hockey happened, with the strange Driscoll whiff and some bounces.  I don't mind Kleven defending the goalie, just cross-check him a little lower so it's two, not five. 

Given who these teams lost, this is how this was supposed to go.  UND has just been a pleasant surprise, and MN has disappointed so far.  But maybe things are leveling out.  

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

This one's on the players. Ralph was ready for something big to happen. Biggest crowd of season so far. They played uninspired, lazy at times and undisciplined. They did nothing to ingite what could have been a super atmosphere.

Agree, when the Senden line plays uninspired, you know you have problems.