SiouxSports.com Forum

Overtime

rochsioux

With the rule changes this year they have effectively (for pairwise) created more tie games.  The team that “wins” in overtime only gets 55% of a win.  
I much prefer the previous rules where you had a 5x5 overtime and if someone scored they actual get a 100% win.  
Now if your team is trailing by a goal in the last few minutes the best you can hope is to win in overtime and get a 55%  win…basically a tie.  
They need to go back to the previous rules or give the 3x3 overtime winner something more meaningful like a 67% win.  
Just can’t get too excited watching the 3x3 when it means so little in the pairwise. 

• Upvote 1

Completely eliminate OT next year. OT was not made for hockey, just never rightfully fit in.

Even turn the clocks backwards like they used to be.

The scoreboard clock in the Barn counted up from 0:00 to 20:00. After a goal, Vojtech BustedJaw the scorekeeper would just look up and see how far they were into the period, and write the time down.

The reason it is important to know when things happen in a hockey game is because of the way penalties work. In football, it’s 5, 10, or 15 yards, in basketball it’s free shots. In hockey penalties are 2:00 or 5:00 (Misconducts are 10), maybe even a booth, sometimes a free shot on the goalie. You can look at a box score and see that Honza Toothless got 2 minutes for roughing (by referee Ladislav Step&aHalf) at 11:21 into the first. Then you can see that the next thing to happen was Jacques TripleLipp put in a goal at 13:23. You know that Jacques put in the goal just as Honza was coming out of the box. You could tell that if Jacques had put it in 3 seconds sooner it would have been a power play goal; or at the same 3 seconds sooner a short handed goal if opponent Pavel OneNut put in a one timer from Matej SharpTooth on goalie Hynek BlinkEye.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Completely eliminate OT next year. OT was not made for hockey, just never rightfully fit in.

The scoreboard clock in the Barn counted up from 0:00 to 20:00. After a goal, Vojtech BustedJaw the scorekeeper would just look up and see how far they were into the period, and write the time down.

The reason it is important to know when things happen in a hockey game is because of the way penalties work. In football, it’s 5, 10, or 15 yards, in basketball it’s free shots. In hockey penalties are 2:00 or 5:00 (Misconducts are 10), maybe even a booth, sometimes a free shot on the goalie. You can look at a box score and see that Honza Toothless got 2 minutes for roughing (by referee Ladislav Step&aHalf) at 11:21 into the first. Then you can see that the next thing to happen was Jacques TripleLipp put in a goal at 13:23. You know that Jacques put in the goal just as Honza was coming out of the box. You could tell that if Jacques had put it in 3 seconds sooner it would have been a power play goal; or at the same 3 seconds sooner a short handed goal if opponent Pavel OneNut put in a one timer from Matej SharpTooth on goalie Hynek BlinkEye.

On your first point, I agree, get rid of overtime and accept ties happen.

On your second point, may I suggest seeing a doctor...

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, rochsioux said:

With the rule changes this year they have effectively (for pairwise) created more tie games.  The team that “wins” in overtime only gets 55% of a win.  
I much prefer the previous rules where you had a 5x5 overtime and if someone scored they actual get a 100% win.  
Now if your team is trailing by a goal in the last few minutes the best you can hope is to win in overtime and get a 55%  win…basically a tie.  
They need to go back to the previous rules or give the 3x3 overtime winner something more meaningful like a 67% win.  
Just can’t get too excited watching the 3x3 when it means so little in the pairwise. 

Ever since the new rule came out I've been saying they essentially neutered overtime. When we lost in overtime to Bemidji St I just kind of shrugged because it wasn't that big of a deal. 

5 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Ever since the new rule came out I've been saying they essentially neutered overtime. When we lost in overtime to Bemidji St I just kind of shrugged because it wasn't that big of a deal. 

Since the new rules I have been calling OT wins “fake wins.” 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

CBS Sports Network on Twitter: ".@AmyTrask has a short, effective math  lesson for NFL fans.… "

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

My problem with 3x3: 

Does basketball go 3x3 in OT?
In hoop 3x3 is considered a completely different game. 

Why are we playing a different game to decide the outcome of the first? 

Great question.

If memory serves, once upon a time 25% of NHL games were ending tied. (and that percentage was increasing as overall scoring fell from the elevated levels of the 1980's and 1990's).   Fans disliked ties, and so the NHL changed its overtime procedures to what's landed on 3x3 followed by shootout.

At about the same time, the IIHF adopted their current standard of 3x3 OT.

Within college hockey, the NCHC is perhaps the most tuned into giving players the best shot at success in the next level, so its not surprising that NCHC was an early adopter of 3x3 followed by shootout in the college ranks.  

That met with resistance from elsewhere, notably eastern schools (I recall a while back where a Committee, chaired by someone from out East) wanted to prohibit 3x3 and prohibit shootouts, which didn't get adopted after NCHC (and Big Ten I think) objected to that proposal.

Lingering discomfort among coaches about missing NCAA's because of 3x3 losses has led to the (feeble) 55-45 value assigned to an overtime win.  

Long story short ... I'm not a fan either of "playing a different game".   However, it seems to be the current fad in ice hockey, globally.  

My unimportant take is either it's no overtime, or, a 10 minute 5x5. End it in a tie if the "lesser team" deserves it, or, play hockey not some bastardized street hockey match. In a lot of cases, 3x3, one school is significantly favored based on grinders versus blue 'chippaz' as I heard it said often...

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2021 at 10:00 AM, The Sicatoka said:

In a two-game series:

• If you get a W and an OTW you won 1.55 games that weekend. 
  • If you get a W and an OTL you won 1.45 games that weekend. 

So this applies for all NCAA Div I games for pairwise? Pollsters?
Not applicable in any manner for conference standings?

Let’s say your team has record of 16-8 with 10 overtime games that were all lost in overtime.  Your official record would then be 16-18.  However, for pairwise your record is 20.5-13.5.  I assume you would be ineligible for the tournament due to your official losing record.  
Conversely, if your record was 11-13 with 10 overtime games where you won each one your official record would be 21-13 while pairwise would say you are 16.5-17.5.  Your are eligible for the playoff although unlikely to make it in. This teams fans will be upset that there team didn’t make the playoffs with a 21-13 record unless they really understand how it works. 
If they are going to value an overtime game as basically a tie then it should go in the official record as a tie.  Use the result for the extra point in conference play if you want but it is silly and deceptive to call it a win (or loss). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I would like games decided on the ice in the most hockey-like manner possible. It is often impossible or impractical to just keep playing 5v5 hockey and expect a winning goal. I guess it depends on the game, but lots of low scoring games would just go on and on. I do not like shootout wins, because it is not very "hockey-like". If I were king of the NCAA, I think I would rather see some 4v4 (5 minutes) before moving to 3v3. Seems like a pretty drastic measure going right to 3v3. My 2 cents worth.

9 hours ago, rochsioux said:

Let’s say your team has record of 16-8 with 10 overtime games that were all lost in overtime.  Your official record would then be 16-18.  However, for pairwise your record is 20.5-13.5.  I assume you would be ineligible for the tournament due to your official losing record.  
Conversely, if your record was 11-13 with 10 overtime games where you won each one your official record would be 21-13 while pairwise would say you are 16.5-17.5.  Your are eligible for the playoff although unlikely to make it in. This teams fans will be upset that there team didn’t make the playoffs with a 21-13 record unless they really understand how it works. 
If they are going to value an overtime game as basically a tie then it should go in the official record as a tie.  Use the result for the extra point in conference play if you want but it is silly and deceptive to call it a win (or loss). 

This ^ Really annoying when these overtime results are treated as wins and losses when they are closer to ties. Once regulation ends each team gets 45% of a win and they are basically playing for the remaining 10%. 

I'd like to see an approach similar to college football overtime.  Go to power plays.  Home team chooses whether they go on power play or penalty kill first.  Both teams get a 5x4 power play, with a 2 minute time out between so killing team can rest prior to their power play.  If both teams fail or both teams score, its still a tie.  If only one scores, they win.  Any short-hander is sudden victory.  It's exciting, it's uses a real scenario of game play, so not contrived like 3x3 or shootout.  If you want to spice it up further, if the first team scores, you give the second team only the same amount of time to score on their  power play, rather than the full two minutes..