SiouxSports.com Forum

Overtime

rochsioux

I hate the inconsistency in posting the conference standings. North Dakota is on top with a 2-0-0 record and St. Cloud is in second with a 2-0-0 record. UND has 6 points and St. Cloud has 5. How can this be with identical records? Well go to the NCHC site and you see that the records are 2-0-0-0 and 2-0-0-1 respectively. Arrggh......

42 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I hate the inconsistency in posting the conference standings. North Dakota is on top with a 2-0-0 record and St. Cloud is in second with a 2-0-0 record. UND has 6 points and St. Cloud has 5. How can this be with identical records? Well go to the NCHC site and you see that the records are 2-0-0-0 and 2-0-0-1 respectively. Arrggh......

Right. Too complicated. Plus it looks like St. Cloud has played more games.

8 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

Ten minute OT, just plain old hockey.   

3 points for a regulation win

2 points for an overtime win

1 point for an overtime loss or a tie   

0 points for a regulation loss.    

I agree with this but if it's a tie after 10 minutes of OT they should probably have a shootout for league games to see who gets the 3rd point...otherwise in tie games only two points are awarded vs 3 for a regulation win.  Personally I liked the old two points for a win, zero for a loss, and each team gets one for a tie format.

17 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

I'd like to see an approach similar to college football overtime.  Go to power plays.  Home team chooses whether they go on power play or penalty kill first.  Both teams get a 5x4 power play, with a 2 minute time out between so killing team can rest prior to their power play.  If both teams fail or both teams score, its still a tie.  If only one scores, they win.  Any short-hander is sudden victory.  It's exciting, it's uses a real scenario of game play, so not contrived like 3x3 or shootout.  If you want to spice it up further, if the first team scores, you give the second team only the same amount of time to score on their  power play, rather than the full two minutes..

This actually sounds really awesome.

10 hours ago, Blackheart said:

I agree with this but if it's a tie after 10 minutes of OT they should probably have a shootout for league games to see who gets the 3rd point...otherwise in tie games only two points are awarded vs 3 for a regulation win.  Personally I liked the old two points for a win, zero for a loss, and each team gets one for a tie format.

I don't see the need for a 3rd point, if it's a tie - 1.5 points each. Or, let's go back to the old NHL W=2, T=1, L=0

19 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

If both teams fail or both teams score, its still a tie.

Or you could keep repeating the process until a winner is determined.  With this set up, it seems like you wouldn't have to play that many rounds of power play chances to get a winner.  Even if they had to play 5 complete rounds (a "complete round" being 2 minutes of power play and 2 minutes of penalty kill), that's still the same amount of actual game action as one complete period.

19 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

It's exciting

I feel this would be incredibly exciting.  Power Plays and Penalty Kills are usually tense moments in the game.  Plus, you're still playing ACTUAL hockey, rather than an extremely unlikely real game scenario of 3x3 or a never real game scenario of a shootout.

Something to consider is what happens when the teams aren't at even strength at the end of regulation.  Would that remainder of that penalty carry over so one team actually starts out 5x3?  That would certainly give a penalty call in the last 2 minutes of regulation a lot of weight.  Same with taking a penalty during the OT.  If the PK team gets the PP team to commit a penalty which results in 4x4 play, and then the original PK team scores, is it over?  I would say yes.