SiouxSports.com Forum

Beavers @ UND -- SATURDAY GAMEDAY

cowboys5xsbs

33 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Hindsight is 20/20, right?  As I saw it, the OT shot by Sanderson was on net, and could have just as easily been caught and frozen, or caromed away from defenders altogether.  Instead, it fortuitously deflected cleanly off the goaltender's chest, and right to a waiting defenseman.  The 2nd defenseman alertly gestured to the 1st in the direction of the advancing 3rd, and a long pass was successfully executed.  A game-winning, head's up play.

Did I miss something, or is there an unwritten rule in 3x3 hockey about shot angles and dump-and-change?  Were UND's other skaters changing, or out of position on the play?  Is the puck carrier any less responsible if he carries in, tries to circle behind the goal, and is stripped by a defender?  Once he is committed inside the dots, it's not like he can carry back out, and if he's alone his options are very limited.  Maybe tie up the puck in the corner and wait for help?

Not trying to be combative here...just trying to understand the criticism.  As someone else noted above, 3x3 just begs fluky plays.

But I would bet for most of us it wasn’t 20/20 hindsight.  I said what are you doing when he shot it.  If you look at 3 on 3 in the NHL, many times the offensive player will even throw it back to his goaltender to keep possession of the puck.  I wish they would still have the 5x5 for 5 minutes, then go to 3x3.

• Upvote 1

Not sure on these lines, when did Senden become a top six player? Just because your the captain doesn’t mean you have become a scorer or a pp guy. 19-10-27 should be a shut down line. If defense is our strength we may be in trouble this season. They should simplify the power play we don’t have the horses this year.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, tnt said:

But I would argue, that is why we need few non conference losses, because we may go .500 or a little better in conference and then you are in a dogfight with other NCHC teams in the Pairwise.  But yeah, we just need to focus on playing hard all the time and getting the right chemistry in our line combinations.  Some of the young guys are doing better earlier than I thought they would.

Agreed, one in particular is schmaltz. Really like his game. Johnson (if healthy) needs to be back in there. NUFD. Kid like that has to play. He’s making the same mistakes as the others.

10 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Let’s face it. It will take some time to gel with all these new faces. Hopefully sooner than later obviously and losing Weatherby hurt too. Just gonna take a little time folks 

A healthy Budy and if JW stayed, the lineup would be interesting and more acceptable on paper. 

Need this “Ford” kid to get his first goal in a UND to get the confidence going.  

Edited by SiouxForever

13 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

A healthy Budy and if JW stayed, the lineup would be interesting and more acceptable on paper. 

Need this “Ford” kid to get his first goal in a UND to get the confidence going.  

Having a veteran presence like Weatherby would make a huge difference for sure. Getting Budy back will help no doubt but I really think as fans we just need to be a little patient. That and Driscoll didn’t have his best game last night either. High glove side seems to be his weakness early on 

11 hours ago, tnt said:

But I would bet for most of us it wasn’t 20/20 hindsight.  I said what are you doing when he shot it.  If you look at 3 on 3 in the NHL, many times the offensive player will even throw it back to his goaltender to keep possession of the puck.  I wish they would still have the 5x5 for 5 minutes, then go to 3x3.

Correct. Far from 20/20, I don’t want this to sound dramatic, but I do think it was the worse 3 v 3 decision I’ve ever seen. Only a few years of data, but it was that bad.

1 minute ago, petey23 said:

Yep. The same Bemidji team that finished in the same spot as we did in the NCAA tournament last year and has 22 guys back.

How does Bemidji Minnesota have a top team in the county?

Man … college hockey is a a localized niche sport. I digress. Not going down that rabbit hole. 

24 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

How does Bemidji Minnesota have a top team in the county?

Man … college hockey is a a localized niche sport. I digress. Not going down that rabbit hole. 

They are definitely the top team in their county. No denying that :whistling:

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Where do we go from here

Let’s see, the person always crying about blue chippaz is wondering why a team that loses a large percentage of college hockey’s defections to the NHL is going to take some time to come together with 14 new players.  

25 minutes ago, tnt said:

Let’s see, the person always crying about blue chippaz is wondering why a team that loses a large percentage of college hockey’s defections to the NHL is going to take some time to come together with 14 new players.  

I guess if we had a few more blue chippaz I could see us winning this game

26 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

I guess if we had a few more blue chippaz I could see us winning this game

And we’ve got you down as your definition of Blue Chippaz as Shaugabay and Clark, so we’ll see where they end up.