SiouxSports.com Forum

UND versus NDSU - 1st DIV I Conference Game 2020 Rona moved to 2021 @ Manure Pit - RIVALRY?

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

5 hours ago, SlowHand said:

Thats an odd take since every one of your posts makes you look like a dick.  

I am kind of shocked they have not banned you yet.

Apparently this is not a fan board for UND sports, as the Mods claim.
Mods and some snow lakes on here just love the posts from these trolls.
I get some fan banter, but not on a Game Day Thread - totally uncalled for.

The two SD boards wouldn't put up with this $h!t.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

Kicking game is a real issue. Missed XP was deflating and essentially taking FGs off the table means going for it on 4th in instances you normally wouldn't want to. Playing indoors, I can't believe we can't get a star kicker. This was a major strength for many years. 

This.  And our average punt being like 30 yards.  I'd love to see XP stats on misses the last few years.  

I know we don't have a chance to get a kid like the Shanley kid who is heading to Stanford, but we need to address this.  I can't believe we had better kickers in the D2 days. 

A couple thoughts

Weah needs to be on the field for 2/3 of snaps.(only 13 carries)?

After scoring to start 2nd half, Bubba and co needed to make Zeb beat us with constant pressures stacking the box, especially after Morrison went down.

Need to use Weah earlier in game with play action and take some deep shots on 1st and 2nd down to compensate for QB lack of arm strength.  Much more difficult for receivers to get separation if the dB/lb isn’t worried about getting beat deep.

NDSU has now publishes the template to nullify the offense.  If Weah is in the game stack the box and  play tight man and if he’s not in the game drop more into coverage.

Oh and missing xps is inexcusable.  How deflating was that?  Ridiculous.

Yes, I was deflated after that missed extra point.  Gave me a bad feeling about the rest of the game.

I wonder what the mindset of the team was this week.  It seems like we thought NDSU's offensive struggles would basically hand the game to us and we wouldn't have to do anything special.  Our defense, especially, seemed uninspired.  We didn't bring any new wrinkles, offensively or defensively, that I noticed.  

10 hours ago, Fry Bread said:

In my travels, including to the NDSU tailgating extravaganza, over 99% of the opposing teams fans are fantastic. Oh sure there’s a bit of ribbing and trash talking but they all offer you a drink and something to eat and a “good luck today”. It doesn’t get much better than that 

Agreed, I’ve always enjoyed tailgating in Fargo. Most fans are great, the few that are bad are usually just awful.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Apparently this is not a fan board for UND sports, as the Mods claim.
Mods and some snow lakes on here just love the posts from these trolls.
I get some fan banter, but not on a Game Day Thread - totally uncalled for.

The two SD boards wouldn't put up with this $h!t.

Mods spend time with their families and sleep on occasion. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Yes, I was deflated after that missed extra point.  Gave me a bad feeling about the rest of the game.

I wonder what the mindset of the team was this week.  It seems like we thought NDSU's offensive struggles would basically hand the game to us and we wouldn't have to do anything special.  Our defense, especially, seemed uninspired.  We didn't bring any new wrinkles, offensively or defensively, that I noticed.  

On defense we had to make ZEB beat us, especially after Morrison went down.  We failed miserably at that.

6 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

especially after Morrison went down

I was going to ask about this. I've read on this board how NG is such an important position in the 3-4 defense, and that we are thin for depth there.  Was Morrison going out when the tide turned against our run D for good?  And who do we have coming in at NG for the fall?

It seems like several things that helped us win some tough games this season all went south yesterday - Special teams (and our kicking game could bite us again - no excuse for this), line play (we got handled on both sides of the ball), and schemes and adjustments (clearly we were out coached and out prepared).  We didn't adjust at all to what they were doing.  Our team has talent and the season clearly is not over.  However, in order to be successful I feel we need to do two things - make a play-off run and beat the Bison.  Bubba has not shown he can do either.  We can still accomplish one of these - but we need the Bubba that made great half-time adjustments in the South Dakota State game and not the Bubba we saw on Saturday.  

Yesterday we got out coached by a team with bad coaching. There were a handful of play calls that left me befuddled. That fullback dive on 4th and short may have been the worst of them all. NDSU had the box stacked so damn tight nothing was gonna get through. In previous games we had seen similar situation but our play calls were generally creative. That one was just brutal and it pumped NDSU up even more. You could tell their players wanted this one way more than ours. We had a bunch of guys playing scared out there. 

There were a handful of very questionable no calls in this game that made a massive difference. The were 2 atrocious no DPI calls and what I thought was OPI on the deep ball. However on that deep ball one thing was clear. Our guy was just looking at the ball, he was in great position, waiting for it to come. Meanwhile the NDSU fought to get the ball and won it resulting in perhaps the game ending score. Without that TD we have a chance in the second half.

Our DL looked how I expected them to look all year. Small. I’ve been complaining for years now that we don’t recruit the right body types for our DL. We run a 3-4, we need size. The line of scrimmage moved 3 yards on every single play. By the end of the game it was moving 4 and 5 yards. That’s just embarrassing. We just can’t expect to get away with having smallish DL backed up by smallish LB. I have no idea how we’ve been able to get away with it so well to this point this year. 

Our wrs, as I’ve also been saying for a few years now, are nice players but we lack any real deep threat guy with real speed that can always get separation. You could tell their DBs didn’t respect our wrs at all. Hopefully some of the kids we are bringing in at that position have some jets because without a Clive Georges type deep threat it’ll be tough to beat really good defenses consistently. With a deep threat we are at least in a very close game if not win yesterday even with our DL getting mauled. It would open everything up.

Also, yesterday reminded me how lucky we got against SDSU. Without that luck they blow us out. We didn’t get lucky yesterday and got our asses kicked. 

That said I never felt comfortable with the high ranking we got. Obviously it was earned through really important wins but the team I saw on the field didn’t look like a top 5 team to me. Hopefully we can continue to play with great passion and get good bounces in game and improve enough to make noise in the playoffs but I fear we are still a ways away from being true title contenders.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Gothmog said:

You're not close.  Any of NDSU's championship teams would have hung 60 on you today. 

This NDSU team is very beatable. Stop the run remotely well and then all of a sudden Zeb needs to throw to move the chains. That ain’t gonna work over the course of a game. This is easily the worst NDSU team since 2009. However they have a ton of talent still, probably more than those early in the dynasty teams, just complete !@#$ at qb. That makes a big difference.

11 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This NDSU team is very beatable. Stop the run remotely well and then all of a sudden Zeb needs to throw to move the chains. That ain’t gonna work over the course of a game. This is easily the worst NDSU team since 2009. However they have a ton of talent still, probably more than those early in the dynasty teams, just complete !@#$ at qb. That makes a big difference.

And remember terrible coaching - LOL.

12 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Yesterday we got out coached by a team with bad coaching. There were a handful of play calls that left me befuddled. That fullback dive on 4th and short may have been the worst of them all. NDSU had the box stacked so damn tight nothing was gonna get through. In previous games we had seen similar situation but our play calls were generally creative. That one was just brutal and it pumped NDSU up even more. You could tell their players wanted this one way more than ours. We had a bunch of guys playing scared out there. 

There were a handful of very questionable no calls in this game that made a massive difference. The were 2 atrocious no DPI calls and what I thought was OPI on the deep ball. However on that deep ball one thing was clear. Our guy was just looking at the ball, he was in great position, waiting for it to come. Meanwhile the NDSU fought to get the ball and won it resulting in perhaps the game ending score. Without that TD we have a chance in the second half.

Our DL looked how I expected them to look all year. Small. I’ve been complaining for years now that we don’t recruit the right body types for our DL. We run a 3-4, we need size. The line of scrimmage moved 3 yards on every single play. By the end of the game it was moving 4 and 5 yards. That’s just embarrassing. We just can’t expect to get away with having smallish DL backed up by smallish LB. I have no idea how we’ve been able to get away with it so well to this point this year. 

Our wrs, as I’ve also been saying for a few years now, are nice players but we lack any real deep threat guy with real speed that can always get separation. You could tell their DBs didn’t respect our wrs at all. Hopefully some of the kids we are bringing in at that position have some jets because without a Clive Georges type deep threat it’ll be tough to beat really good defenses consistently. With a deep threat we are at least in a very close game if not win yesterday even with our DL getting mauled. It would open everything up.

Also, yesterday reminded me how lucky we got against SDSU. Without that luck they blow us out. We didn’t get lucky yesterday and got our asses kicked. 

That said I never felt comfortable with the high ranking we got. Obviously it was earned through really important wins but the team I saw on the field didn’t look like a top 5 team to me. Hopefully we can continue to play with great passion and get good bounces in game and improve enough to make noise in the playoffs but I fear we are still a ways away from being true title contenders.

Agree on all points - The big question for me is - if you can't get ready for this game what the actual hell?  Neither players or coaches were ready.  I agree there were some terrible calls - some emotion from Bubba would have been nice - seemed like he went into the Bubba shell early in the game.  At this point in his coaching career the fact that we saw "deer in the headlights" Bubba is concerning.  

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The sun rose this morning.

Yesterday sucked, but time to move on.

Still have everything to play for.  

Bounce back next week.  

One game at a time. Moo U got scorched by SIU and now SIU has fallen away. Back to work boys. 

46 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Yesterday we got out coached by a team with bad coaching. There were a handful of play calls that left me befuddled. That fullback dive on 4th and short may have been the worst of them all. NDSU had the box stacked so damn tight nothing was gonna get through. In previous games we had seen similar situation but our play calls were generally creative. That one was just brutal and it pumped NDSU up even more. 

Terrible play call, should have called TO before the snap.  One of many spots where TO should have been called.

50 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Had to get creative after Morrison went down.  We didn't.  Also not going to win many games when the offense is 2 minutes and out, followed by a 35 yard punt.  8 play drive was longest of game.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Again, its college football.  WR's will never get open if the DB doesn't care about getting beat deep.  Kenny Golladay could be out there and I honestly don't think Tommy could throw it with enough velocity to honor a "double move".  With no ability to throw a deep ball and no QB run threat, it takes an incredible amount of pressure off opposing defenses.  We need to at least try a couple series with Quincy and Otis executing RPO and Quincy throwing some deep PA.  IMO totally different game yesterday with a true dual  threat QB who has the ability to hit a pass 40 yards down field or even a deep crossing route.   The TD pass before half is beyond anything we even will attempt.

Coaching needs to evaluate their poor performance yesterday and get back to the coaching which brought us to the party(first 4 games).  Yesterday was not it.

• Upvote 1

UND is much better than the past. The score yesterday was similar to previous games but I was nervous up until NDSU's first score of the 2nd half. No idea why UND didn't run that kid more. He's a stud. The difference still appears to be in the trenches but that is by far the best NDSU's oline has played all year. 

On the fake punt no call. I heard there can't be PI on the gunner. Didn't know that before yesterday but would make sense.