SiouxSports.com Forum

UND versus NDSU - 1st DIV I Conference Game 2020 Rona moved to 2021 @ Manure Pit - RIVALRY?

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

56 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Obviously I’m biased, but I see it the opposite for NDSU, they finally woke up last week and I see them continuing that moving forward. They seemed to find a rhythm that wasn’t there previously and I think they are gonna be dangerous moving forward. I see them rattling off some wins 3-0 or 2-1 the next few weeks is what I expect.

You mean their running game finally woke up?!?!?!? Not denying that to be key for NDSU going forward but the passing game is still worse than even UND’s! NDSU has shown some life finally by they have a long way back if that passing doesn’t get any better. My prediction is 1-2 but I could see them going 2-1

18 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Leupke is a good back with or without a lead. He is a bigger, stronger and faster James Johannesson. I suspect teams will stack the box and sell out on the run in the future but if you leave Watson one on one, it could be dangerous.

Not sure UND OL was quite as dominant. Quite a few tfl’s or 0-1 yard gains. I am not sure Leupke was stopped for less than 3 yards hardly at all that game.

And yes, Schuster needs to pull it down and run once in a while.

No doubt leupke has finally brought the NDSU running game back, but is that enough to win against good defenses?

Just now, Sioux>Bison said:

You mean their running game finally woke up?!?!?!? Not denying that to be key for NDSU going forward but the passing game is still worse than even UND’s! NDSU has shown some life finally by they have a long way back if that passing doesn’t get any better. My prediction is 1-2 but I could see them going 2-1

Agreed NDSU has a long way to go and will not win a championship this year, but I can’t see them going worse than 2-1 the rest of the way. Can’t see USD beating them and not sure the UNI offense can get to double digits they are so bad.

12 hours ago, Bison06 said:

How so? Watson had a nice game and if UND had less focus on him wouldn’t it have given him even more opportunities?

It may not have worked out, as it turned out there were some critical pass plays that complimented your rushing offense.  But to force more passing by the Bison QBs would have had a higher chance of UND defense success IMO.

6 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

It’s hard to say what’s working and what isn’t when you are so successful with the running attack that you don’t even go to the passing game hardly at all. I have no illusions about Zeb being all of a sudden a stud, but with each passing week these guys get more practice together, more game experience etc. It seems to be coming together a bit. 

As far as a playoff run, who knows. I haven’t seen a single team that looks head and shoulders above the rest. This years playoffs will be a get in and see how it all plays out. Could be interesting. 

If the NDSU team that played on Saturday keeps showing up, I’d say that have as good as of a chance as anyone to make a run at the title.

This game was rigged. We won by a landslide.
Referees were absentee.
Counter used manipulated machines to tally the score.
Cheated and lied.
Rioters were welcome on this board.

Our fans had to wait in long lines.
We mailed in our plays, some complaining too late.
We will have a recount in April.
     Purple

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Agreed NDSU has a long way to go and will not win a championship this year, but I can’t see them going worse than 2-1 the rest of the way. Can’t see USD beating them and not sure the UNI offense can get to double digits they are so bad.

How can UNI be so bad offensively? 

30 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Leupke is a good back with or without a lead. He is a bigger, stronger and faster James Johannesson. I suspect teams will stack the box and sell out on the run in the future but if you leave Watson one on one, it could be dangerous.

Not sure UND OL was quite as dominant. Quite a few tfl’s or 0-1 yard gains. I am not sure Leupke was stopped for less than 3 yards hardly at all that game.

And yes, Schuster needs to pull it down and run once in a while.

Luepke is exactly what I was hoping for with Johannesson.  No idea why UND didn't sell out to stop him.  Should have made Zeb win the game.  UND OL was very good, 1 TFL and no sacks.  No idea why we didn't use Otis much in 2nd qtr.

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Obviously I’m biased, but I see it the opposite for NDSU, they finally woke up last week and I see them continuing that moving forward. They seemed to find a rhythm that wasn’t there previously and I think they are gonna be dangerous moving forward. I see them rattling off some wins 3-0 or 2-1 the next few weeks is what I expect.

You could see that the rivalry sparked them. Haven’t seen that typical fire from them until they played us this year. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

You could see that the rivalry sparked them. Haven’t seen that typical fire from them until they played us this year. 

They dramatically changed their offense for UND.  No thought put into this game at all....... 

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

You could be right, but to my eye, they seemed to turn a corner in their understanding of how to run this offense. Every team comes together at different times and it looked like to me Saturday could be a turning point. 

Also, I’ve been watching these teams all play each other for a long time, I don’t see any reason why Luepke wouldn’t be effective against the upcoming schedule. Might be hard to repeat this weekends performance, but he isn’t some sort of gimmick that only works against UND’s defense. 

He should be their feature back going forward and maybe into the fall. The OL fed on that power back mentality. Didn’t see that same edge when the 160lb backs were getting tossed around on first contact

50 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Luepke is exactly what I was hoping for with Johannesson.  No idea why UND didn't sell out to stop him.  Should have made Zeb win the game.  UND OL was very good, 1 TFL and no sacks.  No idea why we didn't use Otis much in 2nd qtr.

Coulda had that with JJ if they didn’t stupidly make him bulk up way too big and lose his athleticism. At 235 he would have been way better.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

They dramatically changed their offense for UND.  No thought put into this game at all....... 

I got some insider info shortly before game.  It was huge game for them so don't buy all the BS about lack of rivalry.   Coaches told players needed to stop Otis and block our blitzers.  If we get lead in 2nd qtr, we win going away.  Obviously we struck out on the if.  It was there for the taking.

14 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

dramatically changed the offense? I believe that is referred to as gameplanning, it happens every week.

5 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

dramatically changed the offense? I believe that is referred to as gameplanning, it happens every week.

Had you seen that part of their offense this season?   I would say they changed it a bit but what do I know.

5 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

The big difference in the run game was getting the mojo early on a fantastic call and Leupke was the hammer as the game wore on.  UND never really adjusted.

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

Had you seen that part of their offense this season?   I would say they changed it a bit but what do I know.

I mean, of course they changed it, they change it every game to suit the team they’re playing. Clearly the offensive staff for NDSU saw a weak point and successfully exploited it. This week they’ll do the same thing, but that weak point might be different than it was this week.

For the record, I’ve always held firm, even through 03-15 when the schools weren’t playing that UND is NDSUs biggest rival. I’ll I’ve said is I doubt the players see it that way since they’ve never played in the game or when they have UND wasn’t as competitive as they historically have been.

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Right. And somehow people are acting like they switched to the Veer mid week to throw us off.

I agree.  I think we were NOT ready for the physicality of Leupke and am surprised we didn't seem to adjust to offset that.  I would have made ZEB beat us.