SiouxSports.com Forum

Slaw dogs VS f'hawks gameday.

Nodak78

Ok so I can see why Bubba would choose Tommy over Quincy. Tommy is the conservative choice but I do see some upside with him as well if he can figure out the long ball a bit. Quincy missed an easy TD opp. This isn’t to say Quincy can’t be better but Tommy fits Bubba’s personality more I would say. Weah is a stud, needs to just drop the ball after the run or something. Skokna, stud. O-line seemed to have for the push for these two. We have some WRs, Richter and Maag both had some nice plays, Maag could have easily had a couple TDs with better throws. Love what Belquist provides also. Defense, love the pressure, really like Kappunien. A little nervous about the underneath out routes but maybe that was part of the game plan to give those up? Kick coverage and return game seemed pretty good. A bit disappointed with missing an XP but didn’t turn out to matter. Good win boys, let’s keep it up against SDSU.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Ok so I can see why Bubba would choose Tommy over Quincy. Tommy is the conservative choice but I do see some upside with him as well if he can figure out the long ball a bit. Quincy missed an easy TD opp. This isn’t to say Quincy can’t be better but Tommy fits Bubba’s personality more I would say. Weah is a stud, needs to just drop the ball after the run or something. Skokna, stud. O-line seemed to have for the push for these two. We have some WRs, Richter and Maag both had some nice plays, Maag could have easily had a couple TDs with better throws. Love what Belquist provides also. Defense, love the pressure, really like Kappunien. A little nervous about the underneath out routes but maybe that was part of the game plan to give those up? Kick coverage and return game seemed pretty good. A bit disappointed with missing an XP but didn’t turn out to matter. Good win boys, let’s keep it up against SDSU.

My only argument on the Quincy pass is that he wasn't really given an opportunity to develop any rhythm. Schuster missed with an overthrow on a very similar pass earlier in the game. Quincy should have been given more time, late in the 3rd, or all of the 4th to actually make some plays. Schuster definitely needs to become more accurate on his long ball, but had some really nice throws as well.

Weah and Skokna looked great, and the O-line was tremendous minus a few penalties. I'm sure Weah was pretty upset about dropping that pass that would have been a TD; I bet it doesn't happen again. I would have liked to see Creighton Mitchell more, and I definitely see the shades of Santiago in terms of run style, but can't wait to see more.

A lot to be excited about tonight, but tomorrow these boys better refocus for next week. It should be considered a huge opportunity! Anyone know if the J'bore Gibbs was hurt yesterday, or did he just get beat out? If hurt, any word on when he will be back?

15 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

What I saw with Tommy. 15-23 66.7%. Zero interceptions.  He placed the for only our receivers to catch.  Yes some overthrown but not intercepted.  Stood in the pocket and took a hard hit.  His hand offs faked out SIU and the camera crew twice by my count.  Tommy is a winner.  I like the competition and that quincy got some snaps.  I see us playing 3 QBs most games.  MVFC will be cussing when they face Danny Freund offense.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

My only argument on the Quincy pass is that he wasn't really given an opportunity to develop any rhythm. Schuster missed with an overthrow on a very similar pass earlier in the game. Quincy should have been given more time, late in the 3rd, or all of the 4th to actually make some plays. Schuster definitely needs to become more accurate on his long ball, but had some really nice throws as well.

Weah and Skokna looked great, and the O-line was tremendous minus a few penalties. I'm sure Weah was pretty upset about dropping that pass that would have been a TD; I bet it doesn't happen again. I would have liked to see Creighton Mitchell more, and I definitely see the shades of Santiago in terms of run style, but can't wait to see more.

A lot to be excited about tonight, but tomorrow these boys better refocus for next week. It should be considered a huge opportunity! Anyone know if the J'bore Gibbs was hurt yesterday, or did he just get beat out? If hurt, any word on when he will be back?

I heard J'bore miss some practice as injury was still a problem.  But the last scrimmage the freshman shined.  He looked good against UNI.

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

no way.....step on their balls

What does that accomplish? We kicked their butts. No need to rub it in.  Getting reps for your backups is important for a number of reasons. We have a number of twos who have little or no experience. This is a physical league and we need to get them reps to help them adjust to the college game in the event guys get hurt or we lose guys to COVID. Coaches did a good job of getting lots of players reps today. Hopefully, better prepares us for the rest of the season. 

I thought Schuster was great. The endzone pass to Maag should have been caught and Bubba even said so post game.

His pass to Belquist, on the run, was wonderful. 

Quincy showed what he can do on his first play. The touch pass for a possible TD is not his forte yet.

This was the first game I've seen the OLine get off the ball so eager to dominate the guy across from them.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Tough to get backups a lot of reps when the starters are trying to get their feet under themselves 

The starters had a great game. This was the most complete game UND has played in years. We had no turnovers, gave up no sacks. Fr QB did nice job. Receiving corps is outstanding and deep including TE. Olin was dominant. After first series our defense played well. CB’s were soft especially early and we had trouble covering back out of backfield early. Secondary had a couple of blown coverages but overall kept the play in front of them. Punter and KO solid as was coverage. Nice KO return. We caused and recovered 3 fumbles and had 2 ints and a number of nice pass breakups. The starters did their job. This is a team game and the best thing for the team and building the program is to give your reserves valuable playing time. Starters leave knowing they dominated their opponent. Reserves excited to get valuable experience. Nothing to gain leaving starters in last 7 min in a blowout. If we lose a key player in a blowout you will understand why I agree with getting the subs in. 

• Upvote 2

Was fun to see all the way around.  Still plenty to work on, on both sides of the ball.  Sammy Fort really stood out to me on defense.  Otis should get 20+ carries every game.  Although there looks to be plenty of depth at WR, I'm still not sure there is a speedster out there that can stretch the field.

4 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Was fun to see all the way around.  Still plenty to work on, on both sides of the ball.  Sammy Fort really stood out to me on defense.  Otis should get 20+ carries every game.  Although there looks to be plenty of depth at WR, I'm still not sure there is a speedster out there that can stretch the field.

I agree very enjoyable to watch and a ton of things to still improve on...I’m with you that I want to see more out of our WRs and the deeper passing game. We struggled with completions downfield. We need our WRs to win the 50/50 balls and we also need our qbs to throw the WR open. 

The push by both lines was the highlight of yesterday. 

16 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

He is fun to watch! I was really impressed with all three backs yesterday. Injuries will happen so this type of depth is nice to have.

• Upvote 1

The running game looked very encouraging. There was a push by the line and the runners took advantage and additional times the runners broke tackles. Otis stood out but I thought the others looked good too. Awesome 

the passing game needs some work but I think it will improve. The were a few dropped passes but also some good catches. I thought schuster would get more yards tucking the ball and running when he couldn’t find an open receiver. Maybe he was told not to??

I agree we should get reserves in the game for reps when we can. A point could be made that we hadn’t played for a long time so the starters need reps too. Get backups in - yes needed and should do -1st game of the year give starters a few more than usual.